The 2 custom maps (probably)

Inqwel

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 2, 2008
Excuse me. I'm a little new still new around here, but in terms of Map designs, what does "turtling" refer to?

AWESOME-O

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 20, 2008
Staying in one place and keep hitting your sentry to keep it repaired, so it are like almost undestructible sentry's

Bonafide

Mar 18, 2008
It doesnt matter that vilepickles maps are ports. Most are ports from QWTF made by players. So there is no copywrite. Unlike some peoples ports from the Unreal series.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
Excuse me. I'm a little new still new around here, but in terms of Map designs, what does "turtling" refer to?
its an RTS reference where a team just sits in its base and defends. if both teams do this, the game becomes slow and boring.

trainRiderJ

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 14, 2008
It doesnt matter that vilepickles maps are ports. Most are ports from QWTF made by players. So there is no copywrite. Unlike some peoples ports from the Unreal series.

Just because it wasn't made by the dev team doesn't mean there isn't a copyright. It's either copyright by the original mapmaker, or copyright by the publisher of the game it was made for (if such a license existed for that game). Vilepickle can get away with making ports because he isn't making money from them.

IANAL, but in either case, I don't think Valve can use derivatives of those works without some sort of consent (paid for or otherwise).

PMAvers

Jan 29, 2008
It's a port of an old ETF/Q3F map. I couldn't find a screenshot.

And the Q3F version was a port of a old Quakeworld TF map.

Found a few screenshots of the Q3F version...

q3f_2machse_borderfence.jpg

q3f_2machse_flagroom.jpg

Look familiar?

AWESOME-O

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 20, 2008
No, i can remember all of vilepickles map to a game except this one...

Bonafide

Mar 18, 2008
Shield your eyes. Its QWTF's version of MACH:

(Im actually old enough to have played this back in its prime)

98044.jpg

Jive Turkey

L3: Member
Jan 22, 2008
I kind of miss indexed color, we're so spoiled nowadays.

I don't understand how you can copyright a map layout. It might be bad form if you didn't get their permission or credit them, but what legal recourse would you really have? And what mappers wouldn't love to see their layouts live on indefinitely, credit or no?

None of the original meshes/textures/assets are in use here, you're basically talking about an abstract idea of a map. This is why "porting" is not even really a good term to use. Tim Burton didn't "port" Planet of the Apes from 1968. It was a remake. (And no, I don't think this little analogy extends to the copyright of the movie's story versus a map's layout, only to the argument of "port" as misnomer.)

Anyway, I really hope such issues aren't what stop certain maps from getting the official treatment some day.

Is castle a remake as well? Warpath? I'd really like to see those get included at some point.

Last edited:

trainRiderJ

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 14, 2008
Is there a version of warpath that adheres to the server timelimit and doesn't have instant respawn? Even if both of those are fixed, the layout still lends itself to stalemates IMO.

About copyrighting the layout of the map, you can copyright the layout of a house so I don't see why not. It's obviously a unique creative work, and to continue my analogy, painting the walls a different color and using a different kind of trim on the doors doesn't necessarily give you the right to distribute it as your own, especially if you charge money for it.

That said, these updates are free.......so maybe they could do it after all? I still think it would be bad form and lose them some credibility.

Bonafide

Mar 18, 2008
not trying to nitpick here but how much did valve look at these maps before deciding these are the ones? I mean look at these doors in fastlane. They arent connected to anything. 4 doors in each base are like this.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
True but there is a door like that in one of valve's own maps (Can't remember which one though)
So for the most part (with the enormous exception of the skybox, I mean its just awfull) fastlane is up to valve's standards

Turbine is, well, it was made without the official SDK lets just leave it at that.

I really suspect that with most of the remaining class updates we will see more custom maps.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
the door like that is to one of the spawn rooms in dustbowl, can't remember which one

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
I think for this first community pack, it's more the principle of the thing than showcasing a particularly good entry. Hopefully for the next one Valve will up their standards a bit. And I agree w/ you guys. Turbine is a fun little map, though it lacks polish, and spawn camping is way too easy. Fastlane is well designed, but doesn't really stand out. Very Bandlands-ish, and the visuals are just meh.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
Having played on fastlane finally, my big criticism is that the second point is very poorly designed, being extremely difficult to defend as point 2 but really easy to hold as point 4. It's way too large and open.

All of my other criticisms probably stem just from it being a 5-point-chain map, which I'm not that fond of to begin with.