Temper

KotH Temper RC2-reupload

DrLambda

L69: Teeheehee, Member
aa
Feb 18, 2015
Hey, i just saw that Temper was picked up for an Imp(?) yesterday. Thanks for that. I want to address some feedback personally.

About the size of the map and the fast time to CP: As i said before, this map was my first experiment with TF2 mapping and i built it for a LAN party with a maximum of 6 people on each team. I know about the gameplay weaknesses when you get more players than that, and i know about the fast times to reach anything in this map. I don't say your critique isn't justified, and i'm thankful for your thoughts on this map, but i decided against "salvaging" what i had for more players and try my hand on new projects, leaving this as a tf2 learning ground for me.

About the overdetailing: My comment to this will be pretty close to the first one. I know that the level of detail is probably a bit high for TF2 standards, but as i wanted to learn as much as possible about detailing in Source, try out as many tutorials as i could consume. Combine that with the small size of the map, and you get a lot of detail in a lot of weird places.

So in conclusion: I am very thankful that you tested my map and i agree on your thoughts about both size and overdetailing, but i'm not going to fix those on my learning ground which has the special task to be small, action packed and frenzied for about 12 players. Rather than try to fix the gameplay problems this map has, i'd rather work on new projects which were initially concepted for filling servers ;)
I'll have a look into the visual errors though and fix them as much as possible.

Last edited:

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Some quick things:

The cow props on RED's side of the map don't fit in at all.

I sometimes get caught on the edge while I'm trying to jump off of the area with the gravel displacements. Maybe add some clipping there?

The cap zone is really, really small. I expected it to extend across the entire dirt pile it's situated on.

I feel like this map would work great as an arena map. Just lower the health kits.

DrLambda

aa
Feb 18, 2015
I actually added clips to the gravel displacements a few minutes after i released the beta. Yeah, i forgot that.
Increasing the cap zone sounds like a good idea.
And about arena: I might actually try that, but i won't do it until after the LAN. I know that i can use visgroups, but i also know myself enough to know that i will probably break something if i add arena gamerules and pickups inside visgroups right now.

DrLambda

aa
Feb 18, 2015
Beta 7 released.
  • Removed the spawncamping balcony
  • Increased size of cap area notably
  • Added [WW] Poster Overlay in place of old team color thingies
  • Tried to improve bumpmap of blue metal wall - still screwed it up
  • Removed cows, added different props
  • Added clips on gravel displacement
  • Fixed texture alignment on metal doors outside play area
  • Fixed missing texture on danger tape in blue spawn
  • Disabled shadow on door props
  • Decreased cap time from 12 to 7 seconds
  • Decreased neutral spawn time from 6 to 4 seconds
  • Decreased weighted spawn time from 8/4 to 5/3 seconds
  • Changed clips over models to bulletblocks.

Known Bugs
  • Blue metal wall normalmap still broken. Sorry.

Changed most of the stuff i got from feedback - especially the spawncamping balcony. Had to release B7 today because the LAN party is tomorrow, even though it still has a bug.

You can find the map on the Steam Workshop for subscription, i will update the map there in a few minutes.

DrLambda

aa
Feb 18, 2015
Finally, Release Candidate 1 released. Get it on the Steam Workshop here! I wouldn't hate it if you voted for the map there as well ;)

• Added two more signs inside the spawn buildings
  • Moved a few props around in the spawn buildings
  • Changed a last playerclip into bulletblock on top of spawn buildings
  • Changed stair clips to bulletblocks for model stairs.
  • Moved platform for stairs around a few hu to match up with stairs. Added a bit more detail for the border. Changed into func_detail
  • Working normalmap on blue wall texture (FINALLY)
  • Removed Crane counterweight on 3d-sky
  • Added some stuff to the 3d-sky
  • Moved some arrow signs around for clarity
  • Increased draw distance a bit on a few models
  • Fixed displacment seam
  • Optimization pass
  • Replaced easter egg because i never actually got around to get models for that
  • Some clips, some noclips
  • Added a few props for immersion.

Arena version incoming, but this is the final version for now.

Last edited:

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Some feedback.

Yes, I changed loadouts while taking these shots. Also, usually it would be rc1, not r1.

DrLambda

aa
Feb 18, 2015
Thanks so much, that's very helpful!

Some comments:
1. About the clipping at the roof: It basically it this way because the wall at blu spawn is solid, and i wanted to match geometry as much as possible. I'll change the wall a bit to make that more obvious.
2. About the additional passage - I already brewed up a few additional passages for the Arena version. I included a ramp from the outside spawn exit to the roof of the garage and from the garage to the top of the windows of the other building. I might include another passage from inside the incomplete building to the top to the garage, but i'm currently a friend of making it one-way.
3. I'm unsure about opening the additional room on the outer buildings. It doesn't do much for connectivity. I'll think about a way to make it less boring. I completely agree about the roof of the room though.

The missing clipping and the wrong windows texture are bugs that will make a new release necessary anyway. I also found like 3-4 missing overlays for ammo and health pickups.

Thanks again for taking that much time with the map.

*Edit: Oh, the ammo pickup on top - I forgot about changing that. Someone on the LAN party showed me the ugly things you can do there, especially as a engineer. I agree about changing it to a small.
Talking about pickups: The arena version changes those around obviously. This is my first configuration:
1. Medium health in the incomplete building becomes small ammo.
2. Small ammo on top of the roof stays.
3. Medium health and ammo on the balcony of the outer buildings become a small health.
4. Remove everything else.

Last edited:

DrLambda

aa
Feb 18, 2015
So, after not doing anything on this project for about 9 months, i decided to give it one last cleanup that fixes most bugs and should improve performance a bit.

Most of the changes were done at least 8 months ago and as such, the changelog has been lost in time. I only can try to guess most things.

I consider this project dead for obvious reasons, but there were fans of the map, and i wanted to give them the bug-free experience.
The map could really use another optimization pass, but i considered that more trouble than it is worth. It plays stable on my average pc.

Changelog
  • Fixed - Every nonsolid prop now has proper clipping both for players and for projectiles.
  • Fixed - Removed func_visclusters, because they don't work in the way they're supposed to, decreasing performance.
  • Fixed - Removed areaportal on outer room in spawn building, because it literally hid nothing.
  • Changed - Both outer buildings had some layout changes. They're no longer mirrored, but the impact should be minimal.
  • Fixed - Added missing overlays under pickups.

Read the rest of this update entry...