Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by re1wind, Jan 15, 2012.
Sunken rocket b1
first detail pass, some overbright areas by final point.
-complete overhaul and redesign of map
- second elevator added.
-spawn doors fixed throughout the map
-tried to clamp down on the alternative routes
-secondary forward spawns added to both teams
-tweaked the final cap point, added a pit, etc.
- streamlined the starting area to focus blu players past the cart
- various other things.
- choke-point between the first control point and the second control point tweaked to blu's favour. Red now has a single entrance to the area by the first control point, with the exception of soldiers, demo's, and scouts.
- added more height variation throughout the first half of the map
- fixed floating platform issue on the first elevator section
- slightly redesigned the final cap point for better flow
- Blu's second forward spawn unchanged.
- red players can open blu's spawn door, but CANNOT enter it. (forgot about this)
- The rollback zones marked on the hud and by the hazard strip areas are not actually rollback/forward zones. I am well aware of this. Call me lazy if you want, but implementing rollback/forward would require work which all mappers are allergic to.
- The second elevator before the final cap point goes crazy when it rolls back up to the top. I am fully aware of this, but again, i'm allergic to real work so it will stay like that untill it gets feedbacked by everyone simultaneously or a7, whichever comes first.
- Players that go past the new metal doors by cp 4 and into the area by the final cap will be stuck there (unless soldier, demo, scout, maybe pyro/engy) until blu caps the second-to-last control point. an oversight if you want.
-strange explosive behaviour by the new upstairs blu main spawn exit caused by func_nogrenade brushes.
A thought popped into my head. With your elevators, the bottom of the ramp that the elevators are floating over, when the meet the base wall, they are pretty tight, and are semi-tough to get out of. So if there is enemies above you, you're basically dead. Perhaps you want to figure out some way to make it easier to get out of the little crevice that is there up-until the elevator reaches that point?
The first ramp doesn't have that problem anymore, and the 2nd ramp has the area beneath it.
Right, imp today played decently well, at least the 3rd round after one red stonewall defence, and a steamroller blu push. A scramble later and while blu still won, the game was much more nuanced.
blu spawn also had a shiny mysteriously golden sheen to it. hell if i know where that came from. The material is that swamp-pack worn tile floor, which doesn't have any specular in hammer's viewport, shaded, unshaded, nothing.
Going to streamline and optimize the map and layout a bit more for a7, nothing too drastic™ as well as get rid of the full healthpack.
To be honest i wasn't really sure what areas would encourage which classes un/favourably, so now i can tweak those a bit.
half-serious half-assed attemptat getting some swampiness into the map. 99.9% placeholder.
skipping a few versions here...
- moved red's second forward spawn closer to the action
- decreased the amount of floating bomb carts
- changed cp 1 to cp 2 area, cutting down on sightlines for optimization & balance
- red's new spawn point vulnerable to sightlines and spawn camping
- pl cart models still don't change skin
- two forward spawn doors do not change skin
- Odd lighting within red's base
Image spam warning.
Thosebig silo doors are fucking hideous. Everything else: hot. The silo doors are the turd in the brownies though.
Turd-topped brownies. yummy
At least you won't notice the turd much due to being a similar colour and tone.
guess i'll have to tweak the map a bit still.
I guess the rim around the silo would be an utter pain to curve. The silo doors are what look terrible to me, a single, massive, obviously repeating texture.
tweaked, and while i was at it, improved almost everything else in the map, especially lighting.
compiled with -extrasky 32, which is equivalent of 2 times -final
noticeable effect in darker areas and smoother lightmaps in general.
and 4 times the file size
Lighting is definitely better in some spots, but I can't say any of the ones that look mostly the same look any better. -extrasky 32 may have been kind of a waste.
Frozen, you're silly and funny. the map is similar in size to previous versions. the extrasky command makes the existing lightmaps nicer in most cases, but doesn't touch the actual lightmaps themselves, so while i appreciate your attempt at being clever, you, sir, fail.
Not as detailed review as i wanted, but still something is better than nothing.
I would consider remaking the blue spawn, since right now it is really wide, big and boring, knowing the map theme it could be made into something unique.
Again blue spawn, don't make the roof like this, it looks really weird, and boring.
The main problem with 1st area is how wide it is, making it bit less wider but increasing the distance to the building might make it more interesting. Also, the 1st area seems to lack nice height advantage, so might add that too.
Nodraw everything that players cant see.
Clip these beams, since right now you get stuck in them.
I would actually replace these boxes with a ramp, since right now they are barely used because of the need to jump.
I can get stuck out here. @rock in 1st area.
Mysterious light in the back.
No need to spam light props like this, one is enough.
I would actually remove one or another health/ammo pack out here, since this area has a lot of them, and just gives a huge advantage for blue team.
Not sure what happened here, but it doesn't look right.
Now this area could be a bit wider, right now it is quite small, and often was a roll for blue team.
Can stand on beams.
And again, next area is really wide once again, it could be less wide.
Unnecessary light prop spam once again.
I would actually lower the building and ramp, so it's on the same level.
Increase fade distance on those crates out there.
Either i would rebuild these ramps, or the whole room, right now it feels quite messy.
What's the use of this, it doesn't really give anything, CLIP!
There could be an additional entrance leading to this room, for blue team.
No need to explain.
I am not really a fan of the dynamic element, not sure what you can do about it, but in my opinion it's really bad, offering huge height advantage for blue team.
This texture out here looks ugly.
These signs aren't that needed out here, since blue rarely will use that top part of the map, also if used correct red team can build a sentry nest out there.
Again, quite powerful sentry nests could be built out here, although i'm not that sure about this.
What's the use of this? I have barely ever seen a sentry built there.
I would expect to be able to jump there, but i cant.
Don't do this, it just looks odd, either move each somewhere else, or use med kits.
I would move the top spawn door to here, not sure how well it would work, but you could try.
After moving the door, this is what i would do to the top balcony.
And yeah.. Make railings non-solid.
It looks like you're overusing the displaced roof technique.... remember to ask yourself, "is this how the metal would have warped IRL?"
Was just about to say that too. I think you should give that area a bit more variation, IMO.
Everything else - looks like it's really coming together
I really like the architecture in the last shot on the left so far.
Separate names with a comma.