Stockpile

Stockpile B2

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
We played it yesterday and it was really fast paced. It was cap after cap. You should fix the doors though, at first i thought there were spies everywhere :D

Yeah, I noticed everybody was capturing the flag pretty easy. But really, in the test before that one it was much harder to cap, now it was kinda easy because there was nobody defending in the intel yard.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Map updated to Alpha 3!

16/01/2010: A3:

-Changed name to 'Stockpile'
-Textured and little detailled both spawns
-Changed 2 doors in the middle to windows
-Added a dropdown going from the middle building to the tunnel beneath it
-Added a little nobuild zone at the corner of the intel yard, beneath the pipe
-Fixed the 'well-doors' not working properly
-Added ammo packs arround the middle
-Brightened everything up some more again
-Fixed leak

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Ok, after playing this map, what did you think? :)

I noticed that the spawntimes were too long, I'll lower these. I'll also make it more easy for scouts to jump on the mid building.

Were there other things which you didn't like?
Would it play well for 6v6? :O

Boonsaw

L1: Registered
Jul 22, 2008
Ok, after playing this map, what did you think? :)

I noticed that the spawntimes were too long, I'll lower these. I'll also make it more easy for scouts to jump on the mid building.

Were there other things which you didn't like?
Would it play well for 6v6? :O

I think we should do a 6v6 test. Sure, comp players would be optimal, but not really needed as long as everyone knows the basics. A planned 6v6 event, perhaps?

CrancK

L1: Registered
Jan 16, 2010
played the map today a bit as demo, defending the flag room mostly

i must say, sizewise, the map looks giant, but it's actually pretty well-scaled(though i'm not 100% sure about it, since i hadn't had the chance to do a run with medic)

the flag room, i LOVE, it's nice and open, yet has enough cover for the medic from every side where you can get in, and good rocket/stickyjumpers/(fanjumpers maybe?) could do some cool flag-grabbing, also the container is a good/annoying spot where all spies uncloak :p

it could possibly use a height advantage in the back, but that might make it too easy to defend, but it would help somewhat against spam from the topleft and topright entrances

(since i was defending i didn't get to see much of the rest of the map yet :blushing: , i'll do that next time)

all this being said though, it was in a pub setting, (and my first go at the map), so it might be completely different in a comp 6v6 setting, only testing will find out

and, if and when you do, i'll gladly be there ;)

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
ctfstockpilea30000.jpg

Blocks scouts from jumping to the roof easily.

ctfstockpilea30001.jpg

Weird half-metal packs in the middle? Ammo and health in general should make you retreat a little more, not be straight in your path.

ctfstockpilea30002.jpg

Lengthen the one closest, delete the one at the back.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
I did a small update, mostly about the respawntimes for in a 6v6 game.

17/01/2010: A4:

-Reduced respawnwavetime to 7
-Changed a few sightline-blocking-objects
-Changed the ammopacks arround the middle to small

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
So for those who played Alpha 4 yet:

How did it play? I could only attend for 2 mins to the test due to massive ping. :/

Where the respawntimes better? Or should they be lowered some more again?

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Mm I'm not sure if the map would be too big for 6v6 games. It isn't bigger than Turbine or so though. Do you think it's still too big?

And I might try the invade mode on it maybe.

Caliostro

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 6, 2009
Ok, couple things you should fix IMO: make the top of the gas tank in the flag room "no build" and player clip the damn top of the buildings that separate the neutral area from the blu/red side. Demos just have way too easy a time sticky jumping all the way back or from their base.

Unfortunately I played mostly defense, so I couldn't see the map from an offensive stand. Will do so next time.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Ok, the 6v6 testing went pretty well. I removed some cover in the middle and made the sideroutes a little more open to see sneaky scouts carrying the intel a little easier.

The score was 21-22, which is a little much for 6v6 I think. :p I think the intel is too easy to cap, maybe because of the higher routes for the attacking team and lower routes for defending team? Or is the intel position on a way too easy spot to cap (middle of the yard)?

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
The problem isn't really that the intel area is too hard to defend, that's the whole point really. No the problem when we played is that once you got it, you can just run through mid without any obstructions and lots of cover.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
ctf_stockpile_a5 is out!

23/01/2010: A5:

- Changed the cover around the whole mid a bit
- Detailled parts at BLU side
- Changed the intel area a little to make it easier to defend

ctf_stockpile_a50000.jpg

ctf_stockpile_a50001.jpg

ctf_stockpile_a50002.jpg

Gogo DOWNLOAD. :D

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
sotckpile.jpg

Shrink the middle area by a bit, make people fight around the house and not along the sidelines. Other than the suggestion above:

- Remove the "tunnel" and put the medkit inside the middle of the house. It's dangerous enough to stay there (enclosed space, not much room), and people tend to avoid it.

- From the sides of house, make a heap of tyres/boxes/whatever so people can slowly jump onto the roof, but not fast enough to always go there, á la ctf_well

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Ok, next version will include a resized middle. :D

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Omg! 2 new versions in 1 day! Is this possible? :O

Yes it is!

23/01/2010: A6:

-Lowered the amount of routes through the middle area + made it smaller to have a more focused battle.
-Removed a part of the new higher floor for defending team, which turned out to be useless. :p

ctf_stockpile_a60000.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2008
Liking the changes to middle. The hut is now a much more consolidated combat space.

I would ignore anyone who complains about demos being able to sticky jump from one side of the map to the other. TPG tried to do that in our pub playtest and one soldier was able to shut him down in definitely. The team with shitty demos only scored about 8 points, to the team actually attacking getting like 22.

However, you might want to rethink spawn a bit. The two entrances do seem a bit campable. Separating them and moving them closer to mid might aleviate that.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
It played really well. So well that I almost forgot what my criticism is.

Well here's my criticism:

The spawn door here can easily be camped by demomen below. Adding this wall would prevent them from being able to see when the door opens.
ctf_stockpile_a60001.jpg

Move this container back to debunk the sentry position that pinned the flag for most of our game.
ctf_stockpile_a60002.jpg

I saw a scout smack into the clipping here in the preround. Add a fence or something to show that it's the edge of the playing area.
ctf_stockpile_a60003.jpg