Steam must be running to connect to multiplayer servers.

Counter Strike Source, or Counter Strike 1.6

• Total voters

Communism

L1: Registered
May 12, 2020
So I have managed to get myself ahold of an old windows xp/vista build of steam, for my vista laptop (yes vista still, shut up) and uo until recently, TF2 was running well on it, slow, but running well. But one day I wanted to go and try playing ctf_turbine because I have heard it runs well on slow machines. I load up tf2, wait an hour for it to start up, and I try to start a server (any map) and I get the message, "Steam must be running in order to connect to multiplayer servers". Ok, so I think, just restart steam and tf2, no biggie. Doesent work. Try restarting computer, doesent work. I thought it might be due to network settings, to clarify on that I dont actually have internet at the moment so I have to go to my local library and use it there to post this, it has been like this for a while, and tf2 run well like this up until now as well. I have not changed any settings with tf2 either, this just kinda, happened. I would greatly appreciate any feedback on this topic. And dont suggest I buy a new pc/copy of windows 10.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Steam stopped supporting Vista years ago; probably they stripped out some critical piece of code.

And dont suggest I buy a new pc/copy of windows 10.
Put Linux on it. ;)

Communism

L1: Registered
May 12, 2020
Steam stopped supporting Vista years ago; probably they stripped out some critical piece of code.

Put Linux on it. ;)

If they stripped out a criticla peice of code, then why was it previously working, and yes, It is always set to start in offline mode and never update. Although Linux does seem like an appealing idea.