Staging

Staging rc

Nosher

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 3, 2008
BLU's cavern looks... to be honest, pathetic, compared to RED's.

To be honest, I have a good idea for the Blu - it will take a lot of time, though, and I wanted to get the beta play tested ASAP.

No fear though, mate, it will look better in the next iteration...

Cheers
Nosh

Nosher

Feb 3, 2008
I personally think that the overall lighting looks a bit too white in some places.

In the screenies it does look rather 'white' - which is surprising, as I didn't use much 'white light' - it is either greyish, redish or bluish, depending where you are on the level......

In game it looks ok, but I may need to tweak a bit.

Cheers
Nosh

Nosher

Feb 3, 2008
B3 released - needed update!

Fellow mappers.....

After some extensive testing, one of the newer elements in Intel Room 3 had a rogue player clip remaining - this has been removed - this would NOT have been good for gameplay.

The latest release is HERE>>>>>>>> http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2356&act=down

Also, Void was right that the Blu Cavern was 'pathetic' - this has been addressed as well as the Red Intel Room 3, which has been redone AND some of the lighting has been reduced.

Will stick the map on an up and coming Gameday, just to see how it plays (with the new bit on Intel 3 AND the optimizing I have done - thanks Velvet!!)

Here are a few pics of the changes....

hl22009-09-0119-20-35-98.jpg

hl22009-09-0119-21-05-17.jpg

hl22009-09-0119-22-15-32.jpg

I intend to leave this release well alone now:closedeyes:, whilst I work on the soundscape and a new KoTH project;), with a twist :) I am working on.....

Feedback, as ever, is welcome.........
Nosh

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
you know what, i totally see some awesome potential in the 2nd and 3rd screenshot because it offers some new architecture compared to many other maps out there. the 2nd one looks very jamesbond-ish to me - which is a very good thing obviously !
i just think you're not a 100% there yet - just can't put my finger on it.
2nd pic goes right into inspiration folder !

Nosher

Feb 3, 2008
you know what, i totally see some awesome potential in the 2nd and 3rd screenshot because it offers some new architecture compared to many other maps out there. the 2nd one looks very jamesbond-ish to me - which is a very good thing obviously !
i just think you're not a 100% there yet - just can't put my finger on it.
2nd pic goes right into inspiration folder !

The middle screenie was simply a space of non-playable area that needed to be filled.....

...here it was before.....

hl22009-08-2823-38-25-81-1.jpg

....and I started with a box and tried to apply a logical 'landscape' - a train unloading area - with some boxes etc... After a few well placed brushes, I was away. ;)

I do all of my level design within hammer - rather than drawing it and then trying to replicate it in Hammer.

Graphically, the lighting still needs work - the odd placed steam entity may work but within the map (in game) itself, it sorely needs a soundscape.

As I have only ever done one of these in my first map (and this is my second map), I will be spending a long time getting that right.

The important thing (on a game-play front) is that the clipping is done and the map is properly optimized.....

.....the rest will be aesthetics....

Thanks for the feedback!
Nosh

Darksoul

L1: Registered
Jul 6, 2009
This map is surprisingly fun and addictive, we play it quite often in the CnB servers, I like how the moving intels keep the engies from turteling the intel, but I really don't like how the turteling takes place in the front entrance of BLU and RED base, there are times when you can't get past the bridge in the middle. I have a few other issues with it:

- IMO the train comes a bit too often...but it's nice to keep it comming.
- Could use more signaling to where the intels are.
- The intel drop zone could be more obvious, or more conspicous it looks like a random closet and not something vital for the map.
- There is a bug that if during overtime an intel is returned, the map doesn't end.

And that's about it I hope it doesn't sound like a rant.

Nosher

Feb 3, 2008
This map is surprisingly fun and addictive, we play it quite often in the CnB servers, I like how the moving intels keep the engies from turteling the intel, but I really don't like how the turteling takes place in the front entrance of BLU and RED base, there are times when you can't get past the bridge in the middle. I have a few other issues with it:

- IMO the train comes a bit too often...but it's nice to keep it comming.
- Could use more signaling to where the intels are.
- The intel drop zone could be more obvious, or more conspicous it looks like a random closet and not something vital for the map.
- There is a bug that if during overtime an intel is returned, the map doesn't end.

And that's about it I hope it doesn't sound like a rant.

Darksoul,

Quality feedback mate and very welcome....

Turtel - ling outside the base......I wrestled with this - an early version of the map had the caverns only open when you have picked up the first intel. I soon scrapped this as it meant that getting Intel 1 was ridiculously difficult, with only 2 lower and one upper way into the base.

However, now the cavern is available from the start of the level, there may be a solution for a sewer to run into the caverns.....let me ponder that a while ;)

Train - I tried to do a random running time for the train, but got mixed up and really screwed the game-logic....I may be able to extend the gap, but will see what other feedback I get....I have changed the trains timing 3 times now based on numerous game day tests....but will see what extra feedback is given....

The intel drop zone - this is surprising as I added flashing signs that indicate the capture room is active, there is a capture zone stamped on the floor and it is full of enemy intel briefcases already delivered....I am curious - what version are you running at the moment over at CnB?

There is a bug that if during overtime an intel is returned, the map doesn't end - fixed in B3 - go get it !!!

Thanks again for the feedback - always appreciated and certainly not construed as a rant....

Nosh.

Darksoul

Jul 6, 2009
I have no problem finding the drop zone, it's just that it doesn't look "important" it's more an issue of personal taste rather than function. Like I said could be more flashy, give it the woah factor hehe.

Nosher

Feb 3, 2008
I have no problem finding the drop zone, it's just that it doesn't look "important" it's more an issue of personal taste rather than function. Like I said could be more flashy, give it the woah factor hehe.

Ok - got ya - point taken

Cheers
Nosh.

PS - lemme know when you intend to play the map - would like to join, if that's ok?

Kosher Ham

Dec 18, 2008
Just something I noticed while sneaking around during today's gameday. (And yes, I should really rewrite my pretty screenshots script, shush.)

Just a bit of a hole in the wall just inside the entrance of the red base.

Nosher

Feb 3, 2008
Just something I noticed while sneaking around during today's gameday. (And yes, I should really rewrite my pretty screenshots script, shush.)

Just a bit of a hole in the wall just inside the entrance of the red base.

Nice one - now sorted.

Thanks
Nosh.

Nosher

Feb 3, 2008
Beta 4 now released.

A significant change - the CP room has gone. Captured Intel should be delivered to the Intel room back at your base that is in play......just check the signs above the doors!!

Also, further opt work done, and brush clean up...

Thanks
Nosh.

Nosher

Feb 3, 2008
CTF_Staging_B5 released

CTF_Staging_B5 has just been released...

After some testing, an issue was found with the CP areas for the intels. This has been addressed as well as some addition of further detailing work.

Download link updated - feedback would be welcome.

Nosh.

Last edited:

Chaopsychochick

Jun 16, 2009
So I just tested this on calculated chaos and wanted to share thoughts.

I love the detailing! Everything looks absolutely wonderful and gorgeous!

I do not however like the way that the map plays. With just a couple of people on the server it can be REALLY easy to defend the various intel and insanely hard to capture it. This led to a rather boring game with not much progress being made and deaths just not feeling worth it. It also got more troublesome that with each flag we had to travel farther into the base!

I like the train in the middle, though I think that the trigger_hurt is a little wide. There were definitely times that I could have sworn I was out of the way. You might want to make that a little narrower.

The side path from the center area with the water just doesnt feel right. It is entirely separated from the rest of the map. I think that this needs to be better integrated with the map.

Also, some of the signage threw me off a little bit, and I did not even realize there was an exit behind me from where I spawned. I am not entirely sure what to do about this, only that some of the stuff in the base seemed a bit off, though I can't quite put my finger on it.

I hope this helps! ^^

T

The Asylum

I don't know if this has been addressed yet, but one thing you have to do is block off access to the intel rooms that have already have their intels capped.

Nosher

Feb 3, 2008
I don't know if this has been addressed yet, but one thing you have to do is block off access to the intel rooms that have already have their intels capped.

Its an integral part of the design - once they stop becoming Intel rooms the rooms become ways out of the base, thus giving the attackers / defenders options.

Nosh.

Nosher

Feb 3, 2008
Hi all,

Been away a while - finally got the CTF version of Staging into Release candidate shape, so I can move onto new projects.

Hope you will take the time to play this latest version of CTF and give some constructive feedback.

Linky :)

Thanks in advance,
Nosher.