[Solved] Light doesn't bounce of walls (no leaks) a.k.a. map looks darker than usual

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by MrFlovi, Jan 27, 2020.

1. MrFlovi

MrFlovi L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    So I've picked up mapping again after a little pause and am currently working on an underground map.

I started up my map today and after working on it for a bit and compiling, I noticed how my map was much darker than usual. I had some leaks and fixed them, but after I sorted that out, the darkness in my map didn't go away. I have the impression that the light doesn't 'bounce' of the walls.

Don't know if this is related but I get the error "can't load skybox file skybox/sky_tf2_04 to build the default cubemap!". I have no cubemaps in my map yet as well.

Compile log: https://pastebin.com/r14nfsKE

Any hints or tips?

Edit 1: I bumped this thread with a new compile log. Same error, no leaks, different compile log though...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  2. DrSquishy

aa DrSquishy ???

Positive Ratings:
    You've got some issue with VVIS causing VRAD to say No vis information, direct lighting only.
    In VVIS, there's a 'LoadPortals: reading portal 6296' line before it seems to just give up - I'd imagine it's related to the compilers having an issue with vis in some specific location. Try cordoning down the map until you can find where this error is coming from

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. MrFlovi

Positive Ratings:
    Tomorrow I'll look into it more deeply. Thanks in advance

4. MrFlovi

Positive Ratings:
    So I found the culprit, and it was a brush which was completely in another brush. I made it a bit larger and poof, gone was the error. Thanks mate.

5. MrFlovi

Positive Ratings:
    Okay sorry for the bump, but I have the same error this time, but I can't find what's causing it. Still no leaks. Any suggestions?
    Compile log: https://pastebin.com/s33nwDw8

Edit: Just to clarify, the error I'm talking about is this: "no vis information, direct lights only"

Edit 2: Fixed it by adding some func_visclusters in the middle section of my map.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020