Skybox not packing with map

DisruptedHunter

L2: Junior Member
Aug 30, 2009
If players are on the previous version of the map while I change it to the new version the sky works for them. Not sure if that means anything :/

Izotope

Sourcerer
aa
May 13, 2013
You're using 2D Skybox.

Replace that with tools/toolsskybox, this should fix your issue.

Mar 23, 2013
You're using 2D Skybox.

Replace that with tools/toolsskybox, this should fix your issue.

I doubt that, 2d skybox does the same as the usual skybox texture. it just won't render the 3d-skybox as long normal skybox textures aren't in the PVS of the player

And DisruptedHunter, just put sky_dustbowl_01 as skybox texture at map properties and don't pack anything with a packing tool. It should work fine

Last edited:

Tumby

aa
May 12, 2013
While looking at your map I want to point out some things (except the 2d sky thing):
1. Some areas that seem accessible have nodraw in them (balconies).
2. Arch roof things above doorframes seem to be badly missplaced.
3. Glass and other transparent brushes should be func_detail. A lot of other things are missing it too.
4. While talking about glass, give these glasspanes that are placed randomly a nice border.
5. You are using info_player_teamspawn next to that boxing thing and named them teleport. maybe you wanted to use info_teleport_destination?
6. There are multiple gigantic func_occluder with all faces set to toolstrigger. Occluders need the toolsoccluder texture to do something. You seem to not understand how an occluder operates.
7. While talking about occlusion, try to use areaportals.
8. You have used 3 different water heights at once in between the spawns. Read these water requirements please.
9. Seems like you have a building that is supposed to be an unaccessible bathroom. Use the overlays signs/bathroom_gentlemen and signs/bathroom_men for a greater effect.
10. While talking about overlays, your map is screaming for them.
11. You placed cubemaps a bit too high.
12. Download and install this resourcepack. (VERY IMPORTANT! It makes mapping a lot easier and prevents problems 5, 11 and 13.)
13. Your func_regenerate are way too huge. Use the resource pack's prefabs for perfect sizes. (Except if you really want it that big.)
14. I found some I/O that says !filter_blu1 and !filter_red1. Remove these exclamation marks. Exclamation marks are only for stuff like this.
Alright, that's enough for today.

Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
3. Glass and other transparent brushes should be func_detail. A lot of other things are missing it too.
I'm not convinced that that's necessary. I'm pretty sure any brush that's transparent from any side is automatically ignored for vis calculations.

Beetle

L9: Fashionable Member
Aug 17, 2008
I'm not convinced that that's necessary. I'm pretty sure any brush that's transparent from any side is automatically ignored for vis calculations.

I think Boojum has told me that before but I'm too lazy to look it up :X

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
My belief is it used to be unnecessary but now it isn't. I remember reading documentation and/or looking at valve example maps with world brush glass and having the knowledge that $translucent doesn't make leaves... but it does. I feel like making the compiler got changed at some point or something.

...I have no hard proof but I'm pretty sure I'm not crazy. :/

tl;dr detail all the things. (or edit your vmts)

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
In my experience, Valve mostly func_brush-es them. Not sure why, but I just thought I'd put that out there.

EDIT: It might be so they can disable shadows and save the compiler the trouble of trying to parse the alpha channel when it does lighting, or maybe to make sure the reinforced glass and chicken wire textures don't create an ugly moire effect (like you sometimes get if you try to use -staticpropshadows with barbed-wire fence props).

Last edited:

DisruptedHunter

Aug 30, 2009
I'm gonna try to fix some of the suggested things. I did get it to work...kind of. On the second computer I test the map on, everything was fine. I was able to build the cubemap and none of my materials were missing. But when I uploaded them to my server, the players experienced different problems. Some textures were missing but the same ones were fine for other people. When asked to restart their TF2 and rejoin the server, more textures went missing but the other ones that were missing before got fixed.

Mar 23, 2013
I'm gonna try to fix some of the suggested things. I did get it to work...kind of. On the second computer I test the map on, everything was fine. I was able to build the cubemap and none of my materials were missing. But when I uploaded them to my server, the players experienced different problems. Some textures were missing but the same ones were fine for other people. When asked to restart their TF2 and rejoin the server, more textures went missing but the other ones that were missing before got fixed.

were you using custom textures? If this textures are not packed, then they will show as errors, unless the player either has:
-the materials on his disk because he is mapping as well or
-he played previously a map which has this custom texture packed in. In this case there is a chance you can still see the packed textures in the previous map, in the map you are playing right now.

Eitherway, packing all custom textures in your map should fix it. Or just don't use any custom texture which makes it easier for you.

DisruptedHunter

Aug 30, 2009
were you using custom textures? If this textures are not packed, then they will show as errors, unless the player either has:
-the materials on his disk because he is mapping as well or
-he played previously a map which has this custom texture packed in. In this case there is a chance you can still see the packed textures in the previous map, in the map you are playing right now.

Eitherway, packing all custom textures in your map should fix it. Or just don't use any custom texture which makes it easier for you.

It's like 3 custom textures that don't work, and then a bunch of the models we use are custom from the second jungle pack(not sure where to find it again pretty sure I got it on here) Those models are the textures that aren't showing. No error signs, just the missing texture. We DO pack them, and when we test on another computer after packing missing stuff it shows up as if they fixed and added. We don't see any missing textures on the other computers (we use the other computers to test and see whats missing) And then after there are 0 remaining missing textures, we upload it and somehow people are missing textures that we packed. I don't understand how to even fix this problem. Please help :/

Edit:

I am now using bspzip, I have a friend who gathers up the list of used models and materials, he's done it multiple times so I know it is reliable. But after looking through the list I see some weird path files. I put examples of some into pastebin if anyone wants to look:

http://pastebin.com/4srH5tsH

I don't have any of those vmts or vtfs in any of those file paths. Also, why would it be collecting materials and models from the map I am trying to pack? There were a handful of things that did not get put into the list, so I added them manually and those are the normal looking ones, such as:

materials/models/props_oceanic/oceanic_fishes_001.vmt
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\materials\models\props_oceanic\oceanic_fishes_001.vmt
materials/models/props_oceanic/oceanic_fishes_001.vtf
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\materials\models\props_oceanic\oceanic_fishes_001.vtf

Everything else is just weird file paths with files that aren't in my directory

Last edited:

DisruptedHunter

Aug 30, 2009
Everything has been fixed.

The sky thing was a packing issue

The models disappearing was a stupid mistake by me, building cubemaps on a computer without those files. I transferred the files and that fixed it.

Models kept not working even tho we added them so I used an old assets file and just added stuff missing and it worked. Thank you everyone who tried to help.

Mar 23, 2013
Everything has been fixed.

The sky thing was a packing issue

The models disappearing was a stupid mistake by me, building cubemaps on a computer without those files. I transferred the files and that fixed it.

Models kept not working even tho we added them so I used an old assets file and just added stuff missing and it worked. Thank you everyone who tried to help.

So can I get my keys now? :>