Shapes get inbetween grid lines

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Neobenedict, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Neobenedict

Neobenedict L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]
    If I hollow to 8 then move/resize a shape, this happens. How do I snap it back to the grid?

Grid is on smallest setting.

2. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    You don't. This is an error in hollowing.

I suggest you delete that hollowed brush (Delete ALL hollowed -or carved- brushes for that matter) and remake them with seperate brushes for the walls. things like this cause compile errors and can cause a map not to work.

(Don't try clipping them to seperate brushes either)

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. Neobenedict

Positive Ratings:
    Thank you.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Mr. Wimples

Mr. Wimples L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Also for quick fixing an odd vertex like that use the vertex warp tool :vertextool: to drag it back on grid. Be careful using vertex warp though, It's easy to get concave shapes and stretched textures with it. But like frozen said redoing it is probably a good idea.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Neobenedict

Positive Ratings:
    Using the Hollow tool is quite a bad practise of mine. Now that this has been said I'll avoid using it. I usually ultimately abandon maps I've used Hollow in. Thanks for the tip.

6. Loc_n_lol

Loc_n_lol L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hollow tool is fine, just remember to ungroup the resulting boxes, you need to manipulate them one by one or they'll scale as a whole and get off grid.

7. Doctor Paprika

Doctor Paprika L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    This kind of thing happens to me all the time when I'm making ramps that don't go straight along the axes. I always think I can outsmart Hammer and just rotate the brush, clip it, and rotate it back, but it always messes with the size and I have to start over because it won't snap to the grid again. I recommend remaking any brush where this happens; it will save you a lot of headache in the long run.