Sapwood

CP Sapwood B1

Undercover Fish

L1: Registered
Nov 16, 2014
Undercover Fish submitted a new resource:

Sapwood - BLU learns of RED's lucrative "logging" operation, and gets jealous.

3-point, single stage CP A/D map. BLU attempts to raid a logging operation ran by RED, extracting a suspiciously shiny sap from a valley forest. Planned theme/detail is alpine, transitioning through the map from run-down, shady, and wooden, to modern, concrete, and sunny.

Sapwood isn't my first map, but it is the first map I've made completely functional, playable, and am eager to test and improve. The map is an amalgamation of my favorite parts of other maps, and I'm hoping to encourage...

Read more about this resource...

Undercover Fish

Nov 16, 2014
Undercover Fish updated Sapwood with a new update entry:

A2 - The "I Hate Displacements" Update

A2 is an attempt to address the major issue I was made aware of during A1's test. Also featuring small improvements/QOL.

MAJOR CHANGE:
The area between Point A and B has been given a complete overhaul, and I sheared a few hundred Hu's off the walk in total. The old design was too large, empty, boring, and directionless. This new design is an attempt to shorten the distance between the two points, while encouraging more interesting opportunities for close range and flanking classes.
[ATTACH...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Undercover Fish

Nov 16, 2014

The "Sniper Is A Balanced Class" Update

A3's goal is to address a few nasty sightlines, pickups, and most grandiose, point C.

MAJOR CHANGES:

OVERHAULED POINT C

sapwooda3_c2.jpg

Point C was, although visually interesting, frustrating to navigate and fight in. The hanging logs were unnoticable and did not provide any interesting gameplay, the height variation was too high, and one route was so incredibly powerful that BLU would be morons to not use it every time.

This new take is an attempt to address...

Katsu! :3

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021
Haven't had a chance to get this in a playtest yet but I hope you keep with it for a good while. World needs more finished Attack/Defense maps

Undercover Fish

Nov 16, 2014

The "MY EYES" Update

A4's goal is to improve the area outside BLU's first spawn, tweak spawn times in general, and tweak the atmosphere of the map.

MAJOR CHANGES:

POINT A OVERHAUL

While Point A felt (mostly) balanced, it was also incredibly boring. A sightline from the first point to BLU's spawn made for a boring experience, reducing the early match to more singular fights avoiding it. It all rotated around avoiding the main path, and most of the fighting was in one doorway.

[ATTACH...

Undercover Fish

Nov 16, 2014

The "Mean, Green, and Seams" Update

A5 is an update focused more on the future of the map, and tiny little changes.

MAJOR CHANGES:

A5 features no changes on the scale of previous iterations - rather, it contains a little bit of everything everywhere. Clipping, cleaning up displacements, simplifications, and lighting. There are a few things I think should be featured:

sapwooda5_aflank.jpg

The flank near A with a medium healthpack has been given a small, but impactful change: Attackers now have access...

Undercover Fish

Nov 16, 2014

The "Rethought, Revitalized" Update

A6 brings the most impactful changes to the map yet.

MAJOR CHANGES:

POINT B LEAD-UP
sapwooda6_b1.jpg

The area attackers have before point B has been entirely remade, with a focus on making the direction of attack, and organization of pushes more legible. The goal is to give BLU strong positions to attack from, with the cost of easily being drowned out by firepower from any side. Overall, they have two less entrances into point B, but I hope they have the same total...

Undercover Fish

Nov 16, 2014

The "Doubling Down" Update

This update is minor, and a direct followup to the behemoth that is A6. It features only minor changes.

-Slightly shortened length of B cliff flank
-Increased period of fast respawns for RED after a capture
-Moved a tree at A that can unfairly hide a sentry
-Increased the depth and width of the water below A, to increase ease of dampening fall damage.
-Widened the main door to C, hoping to encourage its recognition of a main entrance.
-General clipping
-Fixed an HDR issue for those using...

Undercover Fish

Nov 16, 2014

The "Texan Thanksgiving" Update

A7 holds preparations for moving into beta, and some presents for defenders.

MAJOR CHANGES:

DEFENDER'S C BALCONY

sapwooda7_c1.jpg

A complaint with point C, and observed in testing was that there was no good spot for Defenders to hold. I realized that, while I had areas designed for holding, I didn't have an "anchor" spot these tactics could circle around. So the balcony Defenders have over C has been given a makeover, increasing its depth, cover, and overall...

Undercover Fish

Nov 16, 2014

The "Beta or Bust" Update

B1 is the official transition to Beta. Or, as official as I can make it.

MAJOR CHANGES:

STARTING ARTPASS

With the layout of the map 90% solid, I feel comfortable enough to start detailing. As is nature of it, they are all small but noticable things. However, some major things I am proud of:

sapwoodb1_sky2.jpg

sapwoodb1_sky1.jpg

The big "BETA" tag was used as an excuse to teach myself about 3d skyboxes. It is very plain and unfinished, but I...