Regular Event - 6v6 Testing

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Big thanks to Selentic who took over the hosting of the events this evening. Also I'm really grateful for all the people who has come and played with us so far.

So after 3 days of pugging, I'm ready to hear suggestions to how to plan these things out better. If this is to become a regular event it needs some structure.
Both people who have participated and mappers who haven't should take this chance to help me make this event better.

Right now I'm relying on people suggesting maps to me directly, but the interest is very low. I'm not sure I want to make a sign-up system either, because the whole point here is participation.. I want people to step up and grab this chance!

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Nothing? Then I'll keep going as I've done so far then.
Keep suggesting maps, we need all we can get. I've been running random maps a lot lately since there's such few actual tests requested!

Also, the pugs have been filling up quicker and quicker (mostly). This is very good news and I want to thank everyone that keeps joining in for one lobby after another :)

Feb 14, 2008
Needs to be a bit of team scrambling going on. We played one on cloudburst last night which was horrifically unbalanced team wise, and our team basically spent the entire match spawn camping. http://www.tf2lobby.com/stats/lobby?id=45985

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
Then again I still blame the map for making spawncamping so easy and effective, but... you do know 6v6 can't usually be scrambled, right?

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I wasn't there for that match. but I guess the best thing to do would be to call a restart vote. Have everyone select random teams, or captains and go again?

I don't think spawncamping is very fun for either side. winning or losing, it's still an incredibly dull way to play the game. So I'm sure the vote would pass :)

Feb 14, 2008
Then again I still blame the map for making spawncamping so easy and effective, but... you do know 6v6 can't usually be scrambled, right?

I don't mean it in a literal sense, I mean switch a few players around if one team is obviously superior to the other and nobody's having much fun.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I can't find the time anymore to do these. Not as often as I would like anyway.

The little spare time I have I really need to focus on finishing my contest map since the deadline is approaching fast.

I'll still open lobbies for anyone who asks, The only thing that changes is that I can't be there and play!

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
I completely forgot about these but wouldn't have been able to play anyway.

Thank you Rav for organizing these and giving us all some good times!

HeaH

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 2, 2008
I really hope we can continue doing those some way!

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
I would be fine with hosting these, but I always need someone to start the lobby, so!

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
This had me think: Why aren't people testing their comp-geared maps in a competitive environment?

Oh I don't know because NOBODY CAN SET UP A PUG WITHOUT RCON!

Why not just grant more people access to the server, so they can set up their own pugs? Ever since I put out the beta for my map, no matter how hard I try, I can't find people to set up the lobby for me - why can't I just do it myself? It's frustrating.

And no offense but I'd much rather do a 6v6 that's not all-inclusive to TF2maps members (why I avoid these scheduled games). Isn't the whole point to get seasoned 6v6 players playing the map?

Nov 14, 2009
Does anyone have ties with some CEVO members?

IT might have been a good idea to get them to sign up before the contest started...

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Oh I don't know because NOBODY CAN SET UP A PUG WITHOUT RCON!

Why not just grant more people access to the server, so they can set up their own pugs? Ever since I put out the beta for my map, no matter how hard I try, I can't find people to set up the lobby for me - why can't I just do it myself? It's frustrating.

And no offense but I'd much rather do a 6v6 that's not all-inclusive to TF2maps members (why I avoid these scheduled games). Isn't the whole point to get seasoned 6v6 players playing the map?

I guess it's because throwing around rcon like a free cookie would be devastating for the servers. Until there's a way to create lobbies without it, the only thing to do is ask for someone to set it up. I've opened lobbies for everyone that has asked, I'm only online so many hour a day, but there are other mods around surely?
But yes, I agree. It's unfortunate that you have to go through a middleman to start a lobby.

And the short answer to your other question: No, the point of these pugs were to let mappers get a feel for competitive gameplay and test their maps in a proper environment. :)
From the Contest thread: "Comp teams doesn't have to mean pro teams, anyone can play competitively".

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Updated the first post with new info. I'm actually quite busy with school atm so don't expect too much. Having people stand-in for me, pressing the start button in the lobby would be lovely on the days where I can't participate.

You are all invited to idle in the IRC so I can start these things reliably. If you use a client like mIRC, set it to highlight lobby links, so it will alert you with a little beep when somethings happening!

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Uh.. tomorrow (9th) we play, be there, and look sharp. Time to help the judges out by playing the maps with them again. PROPERLY.

So yeah. Be sharp and look over there.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
You know it's pretty ridiculous that we can't even manage a second round due to lack of people.

You're a community of over 1,000 people, and we can't even get 12 of you for a 6v6?

christ.

Thanks to those who did show up though.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2009
2:57 PM - Shmitz: I would play if it wasn't EU, and if Selentic wasn't playing
2:58 PM - Selentic: sorry that I'm such an awful medic mannn
2:58 PM - Selentic: pocketing people and shit
2:59 PM - Ravidge: Muffin: did your team communicate? the more microphones on a team, the more fun it gets imo
3:00 PM - Shmitz: Ravidge: which is why playing on Selentic's team isn't very fun!
3:00 PM - Selentic: you dont have to be on my team shmitz
3:00 PM - Shmitz: =)
3:00 PM - Shmitz: Selentic: not interested in supporting your troll sessions, even on the other team
I think Shmitz put it best.