-reflectivityScale causing errors

Pixel λ

L1: Registered
Feb 18, 2024
soyjak_heavies_pointing_template_by_xxheavy_swagxx_dfgojj1-pre.png

Hi it's me again

This time i'm having trouble making -reflectivityScale to work

I'm trying to give my map a brighter look like CS2 but vrad refuses to do anything when the command is present

This is how my vrad parameters look like ;

Code:
-reflectivityScale (idk what to put here cause nothing works that i tried) -lights custom\clights.rad -textureshadows -staticproplighting -staticproppolys -both -game $gamedir $path\$file

Here's a valve wiki page that mentions it but its not much help​

Here are some commands that i also want to use but can't until i get reflectivity scale to work ; -extrasky (possibly 32 or 64) -bounce (possibly 256 or more)

Also I tried to make a map to test reflectivity values and I (hopefully) uploaded them here so you can see what im talking about
vrad parameters for it are ;
Code:
-bounce 256 -extrasky 64 -both -game $gamedir $path\$file
I'm aiming for around 75% to 80% reflectivity

And here's a (4K SSAA 8X MSAA map_picmip -10 because i'm soo cool with my gtx 1660 ti mobil) screen shot of it ;

20240310003050_1.jpg

Attachments

• radiosity_-n-.vmf
    230 KB · Views: 9
  • radiosity_-n-.bsp
    9.9 MB · Views: 17

Tiftid

the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
aa
Sep 10, 2016
From having tested them in the past, I'm fairly sure the reflectivityscale and luxeldensity parameters don't do anything.
If you want to emulate the low-contrast lighting of CS2 scenes, using a really bright ambient sunlight value and placing extra bluish low-brightness point lights in all of your rooms might do the trick.
For these point lights, you might wanna investigate changing the light attenuation value from Quadratic to Linear.

Also, -bounce and -extrasky should be completely independent of other parameters, and should (in theory) have the desired effect of bonus reflectivity.

EDIT: This page reckons that -reflectivityscale is a float value, and the default is "1.0" - so, maybe you were putting in "2" instead of "2.0" and VRAD was failing to parse that?

EDIT 2: Just tried to compile it with -reflectivityscale 2.0 and VRAD doesn't even mention -reflectivityscale as a parameter, so I'm guessing when Valve was updating TF2 VRAD to be properly multithreaded, they noticed -reflectivityscale does nothing and just removed it.

Last edited:

Pixel λ

L1: Registered
Feb 18, 2024
From having tested them in the past, I'm fairly sure the reflectivityscale and luxeldensity parameters don't do anything.
If you want to emulate the low-contrast lighting of CS2 scenes, using a really bright ambient sunlight value and placing extra bluish low-brightness point lights in all of your rooms might do the trick.
For these point lights, you might wanna investigate changing the light attenuation value from Quadratic to Linear.

Also, -bounce and -extrasky should be completely independent of other parameters, and should (in theory) have the desired effect of bonus reflectivity.

EDIT: This page reckons that -reflectivityscale is a float value, and the default is "1.0" - so, maybe you were putting in "2" instead of "2.0" and VRAD was failing to parse that?

EDIT 2: Just tried to compile it with -reflectivityscale 2.0 and VRAD doesn't even mention -reflectivityscale as a parameter, so I'm guessing when Valve was updating TF2 VRAD to be properly multithreaded, they noticed -reflectivityscale does nothing and just removed it.
Thank you for the info :3