Ramparts

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
The transition from wood to concrete is a bit odd though.
I have now changed that to metal as indeed, its a bit weird when you think about it. The inside is still wood though.

Today there is going to be a test of A4 on ukcs along with some other maps (exact time unknown but should be somewhere after 7pm uk time). This doesnt have that stage with textures though. But thats not a problem as the gameplay of that area barely changed.

Hopefully it will show the side stages this time where on the tf2maps test they didnt show.

UKCS-Alias

aa
Sep 8, 2008
Map updated to Alpha 5

I mostly did texturing and try to improve the parts that used to stalemate. I also changed the entity I/O so it will allways play side stages (its not exactly TC but its effective enough for the testing). The mid stages are and will remain random.

The screens in the main post have also been updated.

Mr.Late

L7: Fancy Member
Nov 27, 2009
tc_ramparts_a50006.jpg

The hallway is loooong!

tc_ramparts_a50007.jpg

This flank route is just overkill

*There weren't many sentry spots in 1st stage.
*I felt that it is very easy spawn camp in 1st stage. I could be wrong though...

It nice to play some different type of gamemode. Good progress so far!

tc_ramparts_a50010.jpg

+huge dick blocking teh way!

Last edited:

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
I would post more indepth feedback if we had had a better game today. The flanks on some stages were extreme, and totally assraped.

The stage A vs B I think should be rotated, so it ends up like:

ramparts01.jpg

It might take a lot of work, but the transition from mirrored to symmetrical is confusing between different stages.

UKCS-Alias

aa
Sep 8, 2008
Well, The reason i didnt swap the hills at first was due to the reason of dynamics. hence i decided to put them at the enemy side from the start. I dont think it will be a problem to change them even though i probably would have to do the crossover in the tunnel as in the rest of the stage there isnt realy a chance for that. It can extend the tunnel though and add a backroute by the crossover. I dont see an issue with that and ill definitely consider a try for that.

And another thing i heared in A vs B was that the stage was too much of a deathmatch... well... that basicly was the idea of that stage... where most are suited for 32 players the map wasnt ment to be ideal for that. More like 24 players is the target and i found that stage playing fine. Im used to play on 32player or 26 player instant respawn and i know that most maps dont play in such fast rate as we did in the test by far.

Further, in some stages (prob B vs D and A vs C) im probably going to add a system where routes are locked in the start and will open later when both (only at both) carts are nearing them. This should solve the issue of spreading the players too much. This should do enough to later on counter sentries. If this system fails im going to use the plr_panic system of having overtime (i prefer to avoid that).

Too bad we didnt get a chance for C vs D in the test.

UKCS-Alias

aa
Sep 8, 2008
I made a few changes (still need to test them). They will be added in b1.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3300848/tf2maptests/tc_ramparts_a50006.jpg
The hallway is loooong!
I have changed it so you no longer can look that far. Shouldnt change the gameplay too much there but at least makes it more like seperate sections.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3300848/tf2maptests/tc_ramparts_a50007.jpg
This flank route is just overkill
I have added an overtime system. By default this route is now locked. On overtime it will open and that should be able to solve the issue if people sentry camp too much.

If even this doesnt work i might have to add a system like in panic (i dislike that system though even though it does work to prevent stalemates). This system should now at least promote attacking as it should be alot easier to counter sentries.

Not only that, i have made it so that you can no longer see people coming out of the spawn. this should allow them to surprise you from below a bit easier.
*There weren't many sentry spots in 1st stage.
*I felt that it is very easy spawn camp in 1st stage. I could be wrong though...
The new flank route was the couse most likely. That route was ment to stop 2 overpowered sentry spots. They generaly shouldnt give massive issues but if they do the new flank route might be ideal to stop that.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3300848/tf2maptests/tc_ramparts_a50010.jpg
+huge dick blocking teh way!
It was something ment to block the way... nice that you found it look like a dick (in fact, now you say so i agree). i still want to block the way but havent found out how to yet.
Found one nodraw wall.
Also fixed.
Apart from that, try to get the entity work in soon so it can be tested as a TC/PLR and not just a PLR. The difference could mean a lot in testing.
Its already fully working. the problem is the lack of an overview map and the areas looking basicly the same due to all being dev couse the TC system to fall away. im aware of that.

Im also carefull with dynamic entities. I want as least as possible of them to be able to add a 5th stage. a 5th stage will truly result in a map that feels TC'ish. And there are 2 ways how to do that: 1 stage reused for both A/D rounds or a diagonal stage resulting in just the center having 5 cps.

I dont think i can add a 6th stage though (or i overdid my job of reducing entities). a limit 250-300 dynamic entities per stage isnt that bad already but its also not alot. if i can get it to about 200 per stage then i can do 6 stages. But dont expect me to use that little. If i have about 200 left in the end i would prefer to use it on details alot more.

Maybe when the map is far enough i will do a poll to let people decide what they want.
The stage A vs B I think should be rotated, so it ends up like:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/841648/Feedback_imgs/ramparts01.jpg

It might take a lot of work, but the transition from mirrored to symmetrical is confusing between different stages.
Will work on that stage next, im thinking about extending the tracks in the tunnel a bit more and have the crossover just before the first slope. Again, ill have to do some trial and error in that stage.

EDIT:
What you think of this:
AB_Crossover_1.jpg

And another edit... i could make the slopes 2 very long ones like i pipeline instead 2 shorter and 2 long ones if that plays better. I chose 2 small ones because 2 long ones can give quite some stalemates.

Last edited:

UKCS-Alias

aa
Sep 8, 2008
Ok, stage A vs B has been updated.

tc_ramparts_b1a0000.jpg

tc_ramparts_b1a0001.jpg

tc_ramparts_b1a0002.jpg

Notice the extra detail. The light does need a few more changes but at least is more interesting now. AaaAaaaAAaND the crossover at the start.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Thanks for removing that rock. It didn't make sense as to why that path was blocked off.

UKCS-Alias

aa
Sep 8, 2008
Slowly its getting better

tc_ramparts_b1b0001.jpg

tc_ramparts_b1b0002.jpg

tc_ramparts_b1b0003.jpg

In that stage the overpowered side routes now start locked and open during overtime.

When this stage is textured a bit more i will do another test. probably one where C vs D gets a higher chance to be played as that one hasn't been tested for ages due to the wrong team winning each time.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Looks like this map is on track for the next version.

UKCS-Alias

aa
Sep 8, 2008
Map reached beta 1:
- Added normal timer with overtime system that opens new routes. Carts will NOT automove like in panic or nightfall
- In A vs B the wooden doors in the back will have the wooden doors open
- In A vs C the additional route to counter sentries will be unlocked
- In B vs D the additional routes that end near the capture point will open.
- In C vs D some borders to block visibility to the cart directly out of spawn will show.
- A vs B
- Removed the rock in the center that used to block some paths.
- Deepended the tunnels where the carts start in
- Added crossover area in the tunnels
- Increased detailing
- Reduced many lights cousing it to look too ambient
- A vs C
- The additional route to counter sentries starts out locked
- Reduced the view to the spawn to prevent spawn killing in the newer route
- Reduced vision in the central inside path so it feels like 2 seperate areas
- B vs D
- Added some detail
- C vs D
- Added minor details
- All stages
- Textured the floor to indicate the spawn room.

tc_ramparts_b10001.jpg

tc_ramparts_b10002.jpg

This shows the overtime system in C vs D. Notice that wooden border with the arrow.
tc_ramparts_b10004.jpg

Last edited: