Ramparts

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by UKCS-Alias, Sep 18, 2009.

1. UKCS-Alias

aa UKCS-Alias Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?

Positive Ratings:
    This map is going to be a TC map like Hydro but in a Payload Race type.

The stages will be as symetrical as possible (at the cps there will be slight changes as they are linked to 2 stages and each stage itself is diffirent). The 4 linear stages will be made 100% sure and if there are enough dynamic entity slots free then i will add either a diagonal or A/D stage (the A/D one will be used for both teams then)

The CP layout will be like this:
    Column 1 Column 2
    *A* *B*
    *C* *D*

And now with an ingame screen of that overview:
    [​IMG]

Stage A vs B
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stage A vs C
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stage B vs D
    Just 1 screen though
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stage C vs D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Other (like respawn rooms)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  2. Peterm

Peterm Banned

Positive Ratings:
    is it gunna b orange pernamently or what ???

3. UKCS-Alias

Positive Ratings:
    Ofcourse not, note that its still in pre alpha. I had a private test yesterday to find out any bugs in stage A vs C.

The TC PLR system is already applied to that stage and as far as i know it all works except the crossover needs a few more tests (it was bugged last time but it should be fixed now) to ensure it fully works. I couldnt just copy paste everything from pipeline, i needed to edit everything to ensure it works on both sides.

Also, the hud is broken and only shows 1 track instead of both. This is because TC maps cant use CP groups which are required for the PLR hud.

4. Zwiffle

Zwiffle L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Lighting is dramatic but a bit dark, especially that last screenshot. Are all the stages mirrored or are they asymmetric?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Owlruler

Owlruler L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    /me slaps peterm.

anyway, looks nice. I can't wait to see what plr is like in tc mode.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. UKCS-Alias

Positive Ratings:
    mirrored. the last 2 screens are dark as im still working on that stage. I could have made some fullbright screens of it though if that was better.

The light settings are the same as in pipeline (even the light_spots have pipeline settings). This is simply because atm im thinking of using the pipeline look. Still, that might change as the final theme isnt set yet. Still, thanks for that comment. Its good to know how bright an area should be anyway. Ill probably add a bit more lights outside (the insides are bright enough)

7. SiniStarR

SiniStarR L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    looking sexy. Shut off shadows on the tracks to get rid of that ugly shadow.

8. UKCS-Alias

Positive Ratings:
    -staticproppolys will do enough if im right (checking the shadows based on the polys instead of the bounding box. Note its still alpha and lights arent realy high priority to me. im still working on getting the crossover to work right. I did another check on how its done on pipeline and i think i fixed it but as its late for me ill test tommorow. I hope its not too late to get it in the map test gameday then.

9. Omnomnick

Omnomnick L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    This looks nice so far, I hope I have the chance to play it sometime soon. PLR maps are brilliant is done correctly :D

10. The_Ulf

The_Ulf L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I can't wait to see this in action!

11. strangemodule

strangemodule L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I like where this layout is going.

12. Nelsaidi

Nelsaidi L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Having played this map, I have to say the layout is rather good, even in dev textures the map is looking good, I for one cannot wait for a beta to come out. Great map, keep up the good work :D

13. UKCS-Alias

Positive Ratings:
    Pre Alpha 4 has been uploaded. It only contains 1 stage (which should be fully working now).

The 2nd stage im working on does exist for a part in the map but isnt working at all and so that round wont be played at all in this version. You can noclip to that area to take a peek though (but it doesnt have any light).

14. UKCS-Alias

Positive Ratings:
    Even though im working on the 2nd stage i already had an idea for the A/D stages (the idea of what it should be was known already - but how i should make it i didnt yet). I made an image of what it should be like. Im still wanting some comments about some issues that might be there already.

(in case some people wonder - a rampart is a type of defense wall)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  15. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    Very interesting layout going there. I will give this a shot after I get back from school and try to find any bugs in the setup.

16. UKCS-Alias

Positive Ratings:
    I made the first version of an overview map. This will be used in the next version already (even though not all cps are active then).

[​IMG]

I know the lines dont look that great as the hydro ones but i didnt take alot of time to get them look that good. i just used the basic paintbrush to draw them.

17. UKCS-Alias

Positive Ratings:
    Screens are updated in the first post! [ame="http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=9653"]TC Ramparts - TF2Maps.net[/ame]
    - Alot of the C vs D screens are added
    - Some of the A vs C screens have been removed and newer ones took their place

Changelog updated also.

Further, for the next version im working on a workarround for the hud. as i cant show the 2 tracks now as its fully using the TC_ system and the old cp group change would break that im now trying to have a timer to switch the watcher each second (or 5-10 seconds if thats too fast). This would be the ideal work arround to show both cart locations. If it will work however i dont know, its just an attempt for a workarround

Pre alpha 5 is nearing completion and i hope its done this weekend already.

EDIT: Next time mention it to me if the screens are bugged!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  18. UKCS-Alias

Positive Ratings:
    Pre alpha 6a is done and the download has been added!

Ill try to get it in the maptest of friday or sunday

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  19. UKCS-Alias

Positive Ratings:
    Some changes that will be added/changed from the results of the test:
    - In C vs D windows to show the cart start and to show that you are head on with the enemy are welcome
    - The doorframes will be aligned to the wall (wasnt high priority to me as i wasnt going about details yet but people seemed to be anoyed about it)
    - Spawndoors.
    - Respawnrooms will be larger, no more building TPs inside the spawn.

And some things i wonder:
    - Are the setup times welcome or are they a pain, or should they only be on in a few stages?

Just tell me if there were any other problems that you think need to be fixed/changed.

20. Wacky Snoopy is

Wacky Snoopy is L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Yes for setup times, and thank god you have added spawndoors. The only thing you gotta get used to with is the layout. It is quite a different, and when the cart passes your spawn, (atleast I) started just going for dm :rolleyes:

Also, I didn't like the second stage at all: it feels so narrow, having to fight everywhere and all. The time we played it, it looked like a GIANT spamfest, I'm afraid.

But, all in all, it was fun :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1