Playability vs. Identity - "Why is A/D CTF controversial?"

Katsu! :3

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021
This is gonna be a bit of a rant so forgive me if this turns into a massive tangent or is overly wordy.

It's hard to deny that Attack / Defense Capture the Flag is a controversial gamemode. People over here say that it's terrible because backcaps are the devil, people over here say that it's a great side dish to Attack / Defense, and there's even people over there that say A/D CTF is better than traditional Attack / Defense. (They'll probably not be coming out of rehab anytime soon) But one thing that I think we can all agree on... is that nobody can agree on what to do with A/D CTF.

So, let me try being a guiding light. I think it would first help us to really define A/D CTF, so we're all on the same page. I mean come on, have you SEEN how many gamemodes are called "King of the Flag?"
1691113345799.png

Put simply, A/D CTF is Attack / Defense but the flag serves as the only thing that can capture Control Points. Sounds pretty basic, right? Well... here's where we really run into our first issue. What is the point in making the flag carrier the only person who can capture a control point? Is it for balance? Well, no, if anything it just makes it harder to attack because your team has to rely on one guy being good and avoiding death at a time. So, why make an A/D CTF map at all when you could just make an A/D map and it'd be instantly better?

See, there's this nifty little feature of the older A/D CTF maps called "Instant Captures." Now, why on Earth would you make a flag instantly cap in an Attack/Defense gamemode? Because it justifies it being its own thing. The biggest issue I tend to find with modern A/D CTF maps is that, well, they'd really just be better as an A/D map. The "flag" concept is kinda just tacked on because modern A/D CTF maps don't USE instant captures anymore. Now, okay, I get WHY they remove the idea. Instant captures just as a concept is very polarizing; Backcaps are a thing in A/D gamemodes. And having that cap time in the modern A/D CTF maps drastically reduces that possibility! Burt again, then I have to ask...

Why not just make it an Attack/Defense map?

Let's go back a little bit and describe the two at their main components:

Modern A/D CTF - Has capture progress time.
Classic A/D CTF - Does not have capture progress time.

They really aren't that different, are they? Maybe not on the surface... but in gameplay, a lot changes. What maps do you think of when you think of classic A/D CTF maps? Your mind's probably wandered to HAARP, Vector, Premuda, maybe even Snowdrift too, right? What do each of these maps have in common with each other? Well, if we're being honest here, these maps are pretty darn chokey. And while you could try and chalk that up to the era the maps were made in, I think that each of the maps were made chokey by design. See, with instant captures in play, you need some strong chokepoints for attackers to have to push through, and defenders to hold. If you lack those, then you end up with a real backcapping problem that many detractors of the classic way of A/D CTF have against the mode. How often do you really see that in these maps, though? Not very, I'll tell you that. These classic A/D CTF maps understood the flaws of the gamemode they chose, and they executed their layouts in a way that only A/D CTF could really provide.

Now how about Modern A/D CTF maps? Well, the notable ones are a but rarer, but that's alright. If you participated in the "Pick it Up!" minor contest a few years ago, you're likely familiar with two maps: Moraine and Mannscape. What is SO DIFFERENT about these two maps from the Classic A/D CTF maps of the past? Let's take a look at Moraine as an example:
20230803215606_1.jpg

This is Moraine's 2nd Control Point. Do you notice anything peculiar about this? No? Well, what if I told you that Moraine was actually just an Attack / Defense map. It really does look rather innocuous, doesn't it? Just a simple 2nd point of a 3CP A/D map. In fact, to be honest with you, I'd wager that this is a rather fun A/D map! ...but it's not. Moraine is an A/D CTF map, yes, but it's designed like a standard Attack / Defense map. The cap zone is HUGE! It's outDOORS! It'd be awesome as a standard A/D map!!

But it's not one. It just has the flag gimmick plastered onto it without thinking of what this map brings to the gameplay table using the flag that Control Points could otherwise do better. And that, really, is the only pitfall of Modern A/D CTF. The flaws of Classic A/D CTF preserve its IDENTITY. It tells mean, "Yeah, this is great as A/D CTF!" rather than "I wish this were Attack/Defense." What is interesting is that Vector, a classic A/D CTF, was also made into a standard A/D map, but nobody knows about or even cares about the traditional A/D version of the map. Ever wonder why? It's because it's not designed for A/D, it's designed for A/D CTF.

Let me reiterate here; Classic A/D CTF is, by definition, more flawed as a gamemode than Modern A/D CTF. Okay? It's just a fact. But with Classic A/D CTF, the gamemode has its niche. Its flaws MAKE Classic A/D CTF what it is. With Modern A/D CTF, it just does not feel the same; I would rather play traditional A/D versions of most, if not all Modern A/D CTF maps. There's no CHARM in them. There's no soul to the flag in those maps. And it's really sad.

Now, you may be asking "Well, if instant captures is so vital to A/D CTF being its own thing, then how do I make a map with thiose in mind?" To which I will say, excellent question!

One of the key design principles that I have observed in A/D CTF is, unironically, to add a bit of Dustbowl Syndrome into your map formula. Now hold your horses, this isn't just any ole Dustbowl Syndrome I'm talking about! Making your map a singular choke ain't a good level design choice no matter how you look at it! (Staring at you, Dustbowl 3-B.) What I primarily mean is to keep your capture zones small, and most, if not all of them, enclosed. Ever noticed how on Premuda or Vector, just about all of the capture zones are surrounded by at minimum, two walls? Well this is intentional.
20230803221210_1.jpg

This is Stage 1's B point in ctf_vector. Notice how the entire capture zone is inside the building? In a normal, not A/D CTF scenario, this point would absolutely suck to push into because as you enter the zone, you are at risk to eat the spam of a lifetime. But with A/D CTF, and instant captures, this isn't really a problem! Experienced defenders on the map will actually hold in front of the building itself because they know if they let the flag carrier slip by, it is 100% game over. The real thing that makes this work though is the lack of entrances. If there were a bazillion entrances, then defenders would not be able to keep track of them all!
20230803222613_1.jpg

Let's take another example. This is ctf_premuda_b1b's 2-A point! This is an outdoors point, meaning it is more vulnerable to being cheesed by the explosive classes using their jump capabilities. However, this also gives the point some different advantages; For one, engineers can build more freely on the point, which makes for an interesting mixup in what you'd typically from Classic A/D CTF. And, like in ctf_vector, the entrances to the control point itself are small and cramped, meaning that BLU will have a tough time attacking the point unless they work together! This benefits the gameplay dynamic masterfully, as in standard A/D, only about half the team is needed at a time to form a successful push onto the point itself if players are experienced both in the game and on the map. (Well, assuming you're playing an actually well-designed A/D map anyway)

TLDR, in Classic A/D CTF, you have two design goals:
  • Don't be afraid of chokes! Chokes are what is part of A/D CTF, and the lack of them usually results in backcapping becoming an issue.
  • Keep routes onto a point down to one or two per capture point! This works in tandem with the previous point in that it makes defending from the flag much more workable.

I can't guarantee I've opened your eyes on A/D CTF and its struggle with its own identity over the years, but I do hope I've at least educated you on a bit of level design ideology along the way. Feel free to comment if you disagree/agree with something here, but please explain why if you do. I really implore you to try and create an A/D CTF map of your own, as the gamemode can be really fun give the right layout and level designer! Hope you enjoyed reading!

Pawlakov

Deliberately incoherent
aa
Jun 1, 2013
Speaking of the backcapping issue: how do you thing would giving the flag carrier an outline improve the situation?

Katsu! :3

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021
Speaking of the backcapping issue: how do you thing would giving the flag carrier an outline improve the situation?
I think that's a pretty interesting solution. While it is a redundancy with the HUD of TF2, this ultimately wouldn't really be a bad thing since it makes it easier to defend. I do think it could lead to things being a little toooooo clear for the defending team? Mainly see this in ctf_vector's 3-B but I'd be more than happy to see this given a try. Seems neat.

Pawlakov

Deliberately incoherent
aa
Jun 1, 2013
On the other hand a clearly visible flag-carrier may serve as a diversion - the defenders will expect the potentially round-ending push to come from the flag carrier's direction and focus there, while the real push may be coming from an overlooked angle.