Jan 31, 2008
a5 is ready to be playtested! :)
Changelog:
Things fixed from a4 to a5:
- The cart now blocks bullets
- Red can no longer build stuff where blue can't destroy it
- The cart is now slower
- The second point generally more blu friendly
- The long stretch from the second to third cap now has a gate in the middle, providing cover for both red and blu and increasing the chances of red defending that area
- Added more ammo and healthpacks to balance the gameplay
- Fixed respawntimes for both teams

FLOOR_MASTER

L3: Member
Mar 10, 2008
We just ran a4 with 15v15. Gameplay was strong throughout, although there was a period where BLU began to spawn in front of the cart after capturing a point that many players found disorienting. Most players reported getting extremely poor framerates in the first few areas of the map (myself included). There is an unusually strong sentry position shown here near the end of the map:

repository1.jpg

This area in general is a major chokepoint and would benefit from a side path, increasing respawn time for RED, or some combination of the two.

I'll continue to run playtests and give you more detailed feedback in the future.

Jan 31, 2008
Thanks for testing the map!
I'm not sure how to solve blue's second spawn really, and the fps issues will (hopefully) be fixed when the map is nearing beta.
I have altered the spawntimes for the last bit that'll hopefully help blu do that final push against the sentry.

Alpha 5 will be uploaded after I wake up. If you're having more playtests; let me know :)
And add me on steam friends, my account name is GhostRookie

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
My general impression is that it's impossibly hard for BLU to cap point B, but if they do, it's a steamroll to the end.

Jan 31, 2008
Thanks everyone for coming and thanks Nineaxis and Floor_master for hosting playtests :)

Things fixed from a5 to a6:
- Fix respawntimes for both teams (I think)
- Make the last point harder to defend
- Slightly more signs
- Still make it easier for blue to cap the second point
- Prevent red from going behind blue too easily

Things left to do before the final version:
- Cubemaps
- 3D skybox
- Proper soundscaping
- Detailing
- Spectator cameras
- Optimization

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2008
Fixed in Alpha 7:

- Moved B back a bit again
- Locked blue forward spawn before blue captures B
- Moved the one-way door at the roof forward
- Changed the blu-only doors to one-way doors
- Changed the one-way doors into orange grate doors
- Extended the part near B where the tracks lead to a garage port
- Changed a few building textures to keep a more solid design
- Some lightmap optimizing
- Moved the respawnroom visualizers to the setup gates
- Added another path from the blue spawn

The map is ready to be playtested, but I'm not sure if people will join since there's probably going to be alot of new year celebration. What do you think?

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2008
Give us the download, and playtest after the new year.

Alpha 7 was playtested at 2f2f :)
If you still want alpha 7, it's in the first post.
Which is updated with a table.

And good news! Since alpha 7 the lag is gone. :)
The water was the reason for all lag.

Jan 31, 2008
Alpha 8 is currently progressing fast and as soon as I am happy with the 3D skybox; It will be released and playtested :)

Here's the changes for alpha 8, notable changes in bold:

• A path from blue's spawn to the balcony has been added
  • Added a window in the building with the stairs down to the payload gate near the third CP
  • Added a 3D skybox
  • Spawntime for red after the first cap slightly reduced
  • Alot more lightmap optimizing
  • Changed ground textures to keep the same design through the whole map
  • Minor detailing work done
  • Made it a bit easier to walk up the rock leading to the upper level at the arch
  • Placed a few rocks at the first cap to cover some beautiful displacement work
  • Fog distance increased
  • Fixed a few light origins
  • Fixed a few shadow errors
  • Fixed a few grass patches sticking up from the floor

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2008
Alpha 8 uploaded :)
When Alpha 8 have been playtested properly; I'll work on Beta 1.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Pretty fun! Gonna repost my feedback:

Optimization:
Near the first point, you have the large building across from BLU's exit. Split the building in "half" from the top with a block of skybox extending down through the apex of the roof. Solidify some of your geometry inside of the building. This will then block off a lot of the rendering in the area.

Balance:
Pt 2 is too hard? We think? Too early to call, maybe, dunno
Gateway bomb passes through near PT 3 I think? is too small for players to pass around the sides. Means a red player can sit on the other side of the gate blocking progress. I have the same problem in my map sometimes :V

Looks:
Great! Very nice! Arrows are too small though, looks odd.

Other:
Blu's final spawn, immediately on the right after exiting is a doorway. Have a door slide shut with the Hand texture on it to indicate players don't go that way- this should prevent player confusion out of that spawn.

Keep it up!

Jan 31, 2008
MangyCarface said:
Optimization:
Near the first point, you have the large building across from BLU's exit. Split the building in "half" from the top with a block of skybox extending down through the apex of the roof. Solidify some of your geometry inside of the building. This will then block off a lot of the rendering in the area.

That roof already has a hint brush set up to hide the area behind it; but I'm still getting framerate issues. Right now I'm trying to optimize by having lots of func_lod and fade distances.

MangyCarface said:
Balance:
Pt 2 is too hard? We think? Too early to call, maybe, dunno
Gateway bomb passes through near PT 3 I think? is too small for players to pass around the sides. Means a red player can sit on the other side of the gate blocking progress. I have the same problem in my map sometimes :V

I'll increase the size of the door trigger so red can't block progress :)
Thanks.

MangyCarface said:
Looks:
Great! Very nice! Arrows are too small though, looks odd.

What arrows are you talking about? Got a screenshot?

MangyCarface said:
Other:
Blu's final spawn, immediately on the right after exiting is a doorway. Have a door slide shut with the Hand texture on it to indicate players don't go that way- this should prevent player confusion out of that spawn.

I could either do that or make an arrow pointing to the left. What do you think?

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
Floating barrels behind the fence at the final point.
You can walk through some barrels at the first point. There are 3 exits from blu spawn (left, middle, right, and the right one goes down) and on the right one, there is a passageway which leads to a room with 3 barrels. You can walk through all of them.

Jan 31, 2008
Floating barrels behind the fence at the final point.
You can walk through some barrels at the first point. There are 3 exits from blu spawn (left, middle, right, and the right one goes down) and on the right one, there is a passageway which leads to a room with 3 barrels. You can walk through all of them.

Already fixed :)