Persia

KotH Persia b4

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

Uriak

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Apr 27, 2008
Persia B4 is due soon, even if I'm still playing with several settings. Of course I never mind an advice

Spawns are now enclosed, these doors break up on the end of the round

The central area buildings have been reshaped to give a less inudstrial feeling.

The laser building has a more massive shape

The overall ambient light has been cut in half to strenghten contrast.

Some windows has been given a more fitting shape. The glass let place to a grate

There has been a number of things with the packs. More health on point less above, ammo and health switched, some ammo into the pond. Some doors and fences have been resized to fit better the player size.

Last edited:

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
I read it specifically mispelled quite often, a soldier thing... Well, my biggest concern is that I just cannot find any feedback from servers where it was playtested and not approved. I just have to hope the updates are going into the right direction.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Just did a quick run-through of B3. Looks good, mostly solid clipping etc. I made some screenies but if B4 is actually close then never-mind.

I did have a few concerns in terms of some unclipped high spots (above lots of doorways too) and before the final release you may want to look into tuning some of the lightmaps (or cutting brushes) to avoid the dark "bleed through" around some of the decorative geometry.

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
B4 is not yet done, so the most things I can include, the better. So you can provide these screens :)

I've fixed some lighting issue, but it was displacements mostly.

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
I've added skybox element in the other side of the map. I must keep it simple to avoid perf hit (for something barely visible)

I've finally found a skybox setup that satisfies me. I keep it simple because it could do a sensible performance hit (and is not so visible anyway). The central dome is now a prop.

Lindsay Bluth

L1: Registered
Aug 23, 2009
Hey Uriak,

I think your map is absolutely gorgeous. I know I've left feedback on another forum for you recently, but I'm here now and I have played the map again and made another observation...so I'll just fill you in.

I noticed the point, and map in general is very demo friendly. I know that is a comment that could be left on just about every map thread, but it wasn't until last night that I realized just how beneficial the layout of the point (and it's second floor walkways) are to a demo/multiple demos.

I am a believer in 'don't complain unless you can offer up a possible solution', therefor I am not complaining...but I am offering my observation up to you for consideration. I don't know how much more work you are wanting to put into your masterpiece, but if there is any way you could reevaluate the layout of the point, I think it would only work in your favor.

Also, someone I was playing with made the observation/comment that the map's architecture/theme resembles more of a Greek style than Persian. I have no opinion or preference on the matter; it looks great and the locations are close enough that certain aspects of their architecture styles tend to blend together anyway.

Best of luck to you and your map and great job making something so aesthetically beautiful and unique!

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
Thanks you very much :blush:

I'm aware ot this difficulty with the capture point. At the same time, both teams can easily climb to these catwalks surrounding the point and the shortened distance can help heavies and pyros. The capture area itself is large enough to let someone lean against on of the wall, forcing people above to expose themselves.

Still, I'm trying to adress this issue in the next build, I've given access to more health on the point and less above. The current testing built hasn't been tested in actual play, so I can't draw any conclusion at this point.

Has of the greek architecture, it may be possible, as the greek/balkanic architecture shares similarity if more middle orient themes. The fully persian look would be more sandy, CS style, but it would need far more custom content.

Hellfire

L9: Fashionable Member
Jul 9, 2008
looking just awesom

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
Some new attempt at texturing the central dome (after all it's the focus point of the map)

If my work schedule doesn't interfere, I'll try releasing the B4 tomorrow.

icequeenzz

Nov 17, 2009
Hello uraik, i've played b3 for a few times now and have some bugs/glitches i'd like to report =)

No build zones :
1) Blue side mid way from spawn theres a garage with some barrels and tires and protected with a gate, u can build underneath it and place a teleport exit there.
2) on the red side u've got a new "hut" directly when u leave spawn, this " hut" has wires to keep people from getting in, but u can still build a telly exit in there.

Tip:

u've decorated a lot of roads towards the cp, but most of those decoration don't have clips over them so u feel it when u walk over it, but i think its nicer to place clips over them cuz they distract u a lot (talking about the windows on the floor for blue and the wooden planks on red (not directly infront of spawn) :blushing:

overal:
- nice map keep up the good work :O
- i love the new effects on the end :woot:
- i also like to see some more decorations in the roads towards the upper part, it are now big area's with nothing in it =)

Icequeenzz (simiancage)

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
@No build : those are already fixed in the next release.

Actually the wooden plank are clipped, I may also add clips to the blue windows... but they will be diagonal clips (on the transitions) at most because I'd like to let players hear the sound of their steps on wood/metal/glass.

Your last point : you mean both the two indoors ramps ? I'll look after this. The central area on the contrary won't get any more details (actually I had some props removed) because I've a tight margin on performances. I've simplified some things and made some paths easiers (water ramp, removed the pipes standing on the front of the central point, made the little planks non solid, etc)

PS : btw I still hadn't my last posts approved on the simiancage forum, so I can't really answer there :)

Last edited:

icequeenzz

Nov 17, 2009
@No build : those are already fixed in the next release.

Actually the wooden plank are clipped, I may also add clips to the blue windows... but they will be diagonal clips (on the transitions) at most because I'd like to let players hear the sound of their steps on wood/metal/glass.

Your last point : you mean both the two indoors ramps ? I'll look after this. The central area on the contrary won't get any more details (actually I had some props removed) because I've a tight margin on performances. I've simplified some things and made some paths easiers (water ramp, removed the pipes standing on the front of the central point, made the little planks non solid, etc)

PS : btw I still hadn't my last posts approved on the simiancage forum, so I can't really answer there :)

oki, also did i noticed that u can build in the spawn room (the part that is useless exept for looks until now ;).. ) it can be confusing cuz engys can build theire teleport entrance there, i saw this happening 1 time and some people started walking that direction instead of heading towards the exit doors from spawn.

looking forward to b4 :p

Icequeenzz

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
This has already been fixed, too, with the spawn being totally unbuildable and the big rooms being unreachable during the round.

I've added details to both the ramps :

Mr.Blob

Jun 12, 2009
I'm loving the theme, it reminds me of the early TF2 styles, with a twist. ^^

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
Okay, once again a shameful bump, to thank all the server communities who included persia in their mapcycle, and a quick reminder to the other ones that they can update their current version (persia_b3 is still way ahead of the b4)*

* included simiancage as my last post is still not validated ;)

Anyway, let me now if you want some other things in the release candidate :)