Particles

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Cookie^, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Cookie^

Cookie^ L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I could not find a good particle system tutorial for TF2. Could somebody point me at a guide on how to use it or explain it to me please?
    Thanks a lot!

2. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
  3. Cookie^

Cookie^ L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I read in a guide that you should type -tools when TF2 starts and do something from there. Is this not necessary?

4. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    you do this to find the name of the particle effect you want. If I recall correctly you should do it like this:
    First use GCFScrape to extract all particle files at tf/particles.
    Now start the game in -tools mode and select the particle editor mode at the top. At the topleft somewhere you can select to open a particle file. you open the ones you have extracted and look through them. Every particle file includes multiple particle systems, you can play a preview of all of them. Copy the name of the particle effect you want to use and paste it at the Particle System Name of your info_particle_system entity.

It probably helps looking a bit through this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70GhO6z5aKM to get the idea how to open the particle files and names in -tools mode.

Don't forget to delete your extracted particles (or move them to a custom folder like tf/cake) to prevent your particle systems being out of date in case Valve updates them.

5. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
  6. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
  7. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    the particle editor is lots of fun too, try that

8. Snowshoe

Snowshoe L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Very important note if you wanna mess around with the particle editor: You need to launch it with -nop4 -tools otherwise you may get crashes.