Orient

Fearlezz

L10: Glamorous Member
May 4, 2008
Wow, thats really beautiful, keep it up mate! Wait a minute.. is that.. HL2 skybox? Fix that now!

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
Thanks. Yeah, that was the stock skybox in those old pics.

But I am now using alpinestorm. Still haven't set up the skybox or tried rain, but I optimized alot so I think rain will be fine.

Someone said it was just an overlay that should really take an fps hit, I'll have to see.

I tried putting in a few dynamic lights (6 total) and was having some buggy issues. Major lag but I had some brushes go bad, no leak but they were screwing up lighting. Also seemed to have bugs with the lights, if I changed settings they wouldn't light, then they would, then they wouldn't. Removed them for now but I gotta figure that out for the caves.

Termaximus

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 11, 2008
Good call on the name change! I look forward to seeing this map progress. You are quite amazing with the complex architecture.

Apr 13, 2009
I played this map on the calculatedChaos server with a handful of people (about 6vs6, but not quite competitive at all :D). Overall it was fun as capping was doable but stopping the cap was also mangable and we still managed to run into each other in the middle from time to time. I'd say you have a nice map going on though I don't know how that would work with a very populated server.

One thing I found and at least another person pointed out, is that there are too few items in the middle. Since most of the fighting seemed to happen in front of the bases, it needs some health and ammo to prepare right before you can get inside the base and face the likely sentry gun/demoman defending the intel.

Good balance between the classes too, I had fun as a scout, soldier, sniper, demoman and pyro

Termaximus

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 11, 2008
Looking really nice man. Way to use the new waterfall entity. :thumbup1:

Sgt Frag

May 20, 2008
Ah yeah, thanks louiekidd,

I wanted them to access that roof, and it's a good double stickie jump if you get it just right. But I might close it off due to optimizing as much as I can. If not I have to clean up the skybox so you can always get through clean.

I've never seen anyone all the way up top though and have only got through it once in game myself.

evanonline

L420: High Member
Mar 15, 2009
I enjoyed playing on this map. I hope you can get a nice skybox in soon. This was a very surprisingly fun CTF map.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
gameday:
I Still think this map would look better in a bright setting and some really powerful contrasts between the white and brown (wood).
The rain makes it so very depressing :/
The indoors are also very poorly lit (as in 'not bright') and contributes the the overall droopy atmosphere.

Suprisingly hard to play sniper (with rifle) on this map, the ground is bumpy, rocks everywhere, the windows aren't overlooking enough to be useful, the slanted rooves is impossible to strafe-aim on. Even so, there were a bunch of huntsmen running around having fun :p

The water is a pain to battle in, if you try to backpedal away from ppl you are sure to get stuck on small ledges that you have to jump over to get out of the water.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
This map is great, I played it for the first time on gameday. It's very fun, but could use some changes to improve movement. Especially the roofs. It's really hard to jump onto the balcony from the roof of the base, and jumping from one side to another on the bridge is a pain.

I noticed you have bunch of spectator cameras in the middle of nowhere, just outside your map.

The doors are pretty slow, and one of them (seemed to be more detailed than others) apparently got stuck open sometimes.

Sgt Frag

May 20, 2008
thanks.

The roofs trims are gonna be models most likely, with no collision. Like in the middle of the bridge roof. So it'll be alot easier to get over them, no jumping involved. The bridge is already fixed, just have to get to the main buildings trims.

I've noticed the balcony issue myself. Nobody pointed it out but now that you have I guess I gotta do something :( lol. I'll probably lower that railing a few units, that should help.

The doors are now an animated model, that gets rid of the sticky issues. I think the amount of brushes involved was just hard for the engine to cope with. Each door was around 12+ brushes. Plus I forgot to include a player clip with that.

Sgt Frag

May 20, 2008
updated to b3.

forgot to speed up doors but they are all models now so at least smooth if not a little slow still.

This update was mainly to seal off the skybox tight and close the mid section to optimize.
Being able to see from waterfall to waterfall kindof killed the framerate.
Still 2 paths through the mid, 2 caves. Now the sniper deck is half size, there is a path out the top, a few hiding spots, and a drop into the middle of each cave.

Kraftwerk

L2: Junior Member
Jul 10, 2009
Just the THUMBNAIL got my download. YOU sir have done something AMAZING. Very very nice architecture. Now I have no idea how it plays. But Layout looks fine to me :)
Edit: Only one suggestion, In spawn rooms and simmilar areas, instead of makeing the ceiling flat try making it arch up and have support beams going across.

Last edited: