1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

Oh look a CounterStrike map

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dr. Spud, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Dr. Spud

aa Dr. Spud Grossly Incandescent

Positive Ratings:
    So a few days ago I had this stupid urge to make a CounterStrike Source map. I used to map for that game, so I guess I was feeling nostalgic. And I had all these great snow props I made lying around so I figured I might as well use them for something.

So here's an intensely-detailed intensely-awesome fy map:

fy_powder (beta 1)
    [​IMG]
    http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/132529

Or DL from dropbox:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3479091/fy_powder_b1.zip

We should play sometime!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  2. gamemaster1996

gamemaster1996 L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    I don't play many customs as my css is a little faulty (even though i re-downloaded it) what's fy?

3. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Please put up some pictures that aren't hosted on FPSB. I have a disease that stops me from going to that site. Its called a pride.

Also it never loads pictures for me anyhow.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Dr. Spud

Positive Ratings:
  5. Exist

Exist L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    FY

Just clearing a few things up. The prefix FY_ means fight yard. The whole essence of FY_ is to kill the other team completly (I don't know why DM_ wasn't used)

On a side, I'm a little upset that it's FY_. I would have loved some DE_ action.

6. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    The trees let it down to the lack of variation but other then that it looks pretty nice.

7. Dr. Spud

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah but I did this kind of on a whim, and a de map would require a lot of work.

8. Naso

Naso L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Looks like it would be a good gungame map.

9. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    Thats the best looking CS:S map I've ever seen.

Of course, I don't play it, but all the custom maps I've ever seen are blocky, deserty or tacky forest.

10. FaTony

FaTony Banned

Positive Ratings:
    Nah, the best looking map for css I've seen is de_forest, unplayable though.

11. lana

aa lana Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    Are those orange barriers displacements or models? I think they'd work better if they were displacements because then in this image:
    [​IMG]
    you can adjust them so that they'd snap together, rather than dividing off an area that's already been divided (that's really me being picky though. It doesn't make too much sense to have that area split more than it is.)

12. Penguin

aa Penguin Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome

Positive Ratings:
    Looks good spud.

On a somewhat unrelated note, can someone port over the orange plastic fence texture to TF2? I'd love to get me some of that.

13. Dr. Spud

Positive Ratings:
    If by "someone port over" you mean I just give you the texture I made then... nope. I don't give away my art stuff. But that was a super-easy texture to make: it required drawing an oval.

And yes de_forest probably looks better. This map gives it a run for its money with the snow and fog moving with the wind though (de_forest is very static). The thing is the old source engine is really hard to make look good without just throwing in tons of props - something a snowy vista isn't going to entail.

By the way most of the art is from this (non-gameplay) map I made a while back. It's like fy_powder but gigantic:

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/93027

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010