Offensive Swearing in L4D / Halflife

Delusibeta

L3: Member
Mar 21, 2009
maybe they left out christ because it's not swearing?!!?

:facepalm

Ladies and gentlemen, I nominate this post for Idiotic Post of the Week.

It is swearing in many countries. It's more offensive than saying "God damn" in said countries. The Catholic Church would not have been amused. Etc.

AntonJ3000

I am inactive and make horrible maps
Oct 29, 2008

It is swearing in many countries. It's more offensive than saying "God damn" in said countries. The Catholic Church would not have been amused. Etc.

Maybe because the video was aimed for swearing, and most people dosen't take christ as a swearing, so why is that an idiotic post? :glare:

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009

lmao

look how dumb you are

Delusibeta

Mar 21, 2009
Maybe because the video was aimed for swearing, and most people dosen't take christ as a swearing, so why is that an idiotic post? :glare:

Define "most people".

Because I'm pretty sure most people around where I live define "Christ" when used in a non-religious context as swearing...

Delusibeta

Mar 21, 2009
*checks Wikipedia, finds page on profanity, looks under types of profanity, specifically Supernatural*

Check it yourself.

Meh. I'm not going to go another 12 rounds of this.

Shall we get back on topic?

MadMax

L1: Registered
Mar 25, 2009
I'm a Christian my self but i dont take it seriously simply because its a game and not real life.

dont take it personaly and like most people will say , its only a game

JosephOhSnap

L1: Registered
Jan 6, 2009
You cant really get mad at valve for putting that "God dammit" stuff in. Get mad at people for making it a very common part of speech in general. Valve is just trying to make a game where people act like people. On second thought, dont get mad at people for saying "God dammit" in general. It gets no where and just makes people think religions are more invasive.

There was an interesting point you made.
I'm sure that if they wanted to swear about Mohammed - they'd get a much different reaction.
They would never do that because swearing about Mohammed is not something anybody says. Saying something like "God dammit" is.

All i am saying is you have to draw the line somewhere, and if you dont buy valve games because they use speech that most people (by people i mean americans) would use in that situation then you really need to think over who you are mad at.