CTF night_base

B00M92

L1: Registered
Feb 6, 2011
ctf_night_base

Hey guys, this is my first map :)

This is a simple, symetrical, capture the flag map. Not completely done but should be done enought to be playable :]

I would really like to see how this plays out so if anyone wanna check it out, tell me about it!

I kinda feel im out of the league when i see other maps here but its my first so i try to think im not supposed to be that good to begin with ;]

Hope you like it!

Last edited:

What Is Schwa

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 13, 2008
I like the effort you've put into the circular door. My only concern is navigating them. You should either make them a half circle on the top and normal walls on the side, or get creative with clip brushes. Players shouldn't have to think too hard about getting through doorways, it is really frustrating, especially when backing up or strafing.

red_flame586

L420: High Member
Apr 19, 2009
First of all how to take your screenshots. Just do it this way, it looks a whole lot more professional and makes people all the more happier. Also an overhead screenshot of the entire map also makes it easier to provide advice on your maps layout.
The circular doors are interesting, but make sure they're easy enough to walk through. And did you carve them, cause if you did...
From the screenshots I can't see any health and ammo packs, or any signs for that matter, make sure you've got health and ammo, and also signs so players don't get lost.
On the scaling side, it looks like you've don a reasonable job in keeping down sightlines, so good luck on that, one of the number one new mappers mistakes. Though the map looks a touch small.
Something about the map doesn't look very tf2ish, but I can't put my finger on it. Probably the detailing and architecture.
Finally, and what I probably should have said first, congratulations on your first map. There's a general rule that first maps always suck, and despite not being amazing, you still did a pretty good job, certainly better than some of the other first maps i've seen around here. But don't worry, everyone once started in the same place you did, so good luck improving your maps.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
It was better than my first map (CTF).

With the circular doors, why not try doing them like Valve does it, I can't remember the specific map but I know there is a curved circular door model... It might be nucleus.

Its a bit hard to tell, but if you only have 1 entrance to the flag room, it will be very hard to get it when there is a sentry there.

Some of the hallways seem a bit dull detailing wise, very repetitive, and make sure things are labeled and there are signs, like Schwa mentioned, people don't want to have to think when moving, they have more important things to deal with, so add signs.

But besides that, good start, can't wait to see where this goes.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
I think it looks pretty good as a start. Get it up on a map test before you go too far, that'll tell you a lot more about how it plays.

Things to mull over:

1- the round doorways look really cool. But do they serve a purpose? Do you need 3-4 doors in that area?
How about making them windows. Then the middle one just come straight down to the floor (rounded arch doorway), that'll make it more plausible, give more cover, and it'll be easier to walk through. But it'll still look cool. (use the glass with wires in it so players know it is glass and unbreakable [clear glass can be hard to see])

2 - concrete is boring. It's all grey and ugly. If you want to use that high tech concrete scheme look at maps that use it well. Mach4 and Stag do a pretty good job. They use a lot of the red and blu concrete textures to make stripes on walls, etc... helps define red and blu bases. Makes it pretty.
Also strips of metal, I-beams...
I did some of that in my map Hoover too.

3- Think about props, texture useage.
inside the windows you have large wall covered in metal vent texture.
The barrels have those straps because they would be strapped to a train car. Other-wise someone would just stack them upright (lots of regular barrels to choose from).

The railing by intel looks annoying, would be hard to get around, easy to get stuck on...
Plus why would it be there? Are they afraid they'll fall off a 6 inch ledge?
intel rooms should be a bit roomier, you want to sneak in and hide, or run in grab and go. Not get stuck on little details.

T

The Asylum

Some things:

1. I see an open safe, but the intel is on the floor. Not really a problem, but it looks weird

2. Way too small and corridor-y. A full 12-on-12 would be nightmarish

3. Few alternate routes, and they're really not that diverse

4. Where's the roof?

5. For future reference, label your maps that are still in development. Like ctf_map_a1, cp_level_b5, etc

B00M92

L1: Registered
Feb 6, 2011
Allright! looks like i got peoples attention by posting it on the forums ^^

First i gotta say that im actually happy with what ive got so far. I allredy knew there was a lot of things that could be done with this map but its my first time using source sdk at all. So to say something about what youve guys have said this is what im thinkin...

1. Screenshots
i know they are like, meh, and damn it! i forgot the overview shot x) but i was looking for a tutorial, post, anything! on how to do it.. but couldnt find any.. thx for the link red_flame586. Will make better shots when ive updated the map :]

2. Signs
Sins the map is fearly small i wasnt focusing on that too much but i will add more.

3. The round doorways
people are saying diffrent things about these and i guess you have a point Sgt Frag. The purpose of em. why i added them in the first place is manly becaus it makes the look i wanted on the map x) they might be hard to move in and out of but i havent playd the map online and i really wanna see how it plays out.

4. The intel room
No it dosnt only have one entrence/exit, it has TWO! xD but i tought of adding another way in/out thats diffrent, like for spys if the doorways are very guarded. Allso the railing there was stupid, thx for pointing that out Sgt Frag.

5. The roof?
Yeah thats something i had in mind all the time but yet again i couldnt wait to show off my map so i saved that for next update x) (btw there are invisible walls there so you cant rocket jump over, but you can shoot over witch is a problem for engies if demos are around)

*pho* there is alot to ..juggle x) i didnt even think i would have the patient to texture the map!
someone said something about health and ammo packs and even architecture, im trying ok! x3 first i have to figure out how to even place those packs out. i saw you had to do alot of stuff just to make em rotate, what? x) and i didnt study architecture ok so i just make what i think is a tf2 styled map.

thanks guys! this is what keeps me going and sorry my english, peace! :)

Last edited:

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
Just keep pluggin away.
I've been working on my current alpha for over a month now, just getting the game play going (and a little detail). Takes awhile.

Health packs are easy. Use the entity tool (looks like a lightbulb), click in map, rightclick green cross, create object (it'll make a info_player_spawn.) double click the spawn object, change it to info_ammo_ or info_health...
They are animated already.

For overhead you can do it quick and dirty, just zoom out above it in editor (hide sky) and print screen and paste in photo prog,

or go in game, type' sv_cheats 1 ', type ' no clip 'and fly up above it and take a shot. There's another way to turn make it ortho so you don't get perspective... that info is around here somewhere.

Last edited:

Exist

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 31, 2009
It was better than my first map (CTF).

With the circular doors, why not try doing them like Valve does it, I can't remember the specific map but I know there is a curved circular door model... It might be nucleus.

But besides that, good start, can't wait to see where this goes.

The map is Well, the cp variation.