(New here) Wait so you use Hammer and VScript together?

MEKKALORD KRAUSERLOLS

L1: Registered
Mar 21, 2023
Hi there, after hearing that VScript was added to TF2 and that it apparently opens up modding a lot more than it used to I got interrested in Making some maps.
As a heads up I have no experience in map making at all, hell the closest thing to coding was adding some Mods to Fallout 4 that required me to edit a txt file.
I though VScript was its own thing but from what i have read its a new feature added to Hammer? do I have to learn both individually or do i just learn hammer and VScript is more like a complement for more complex stuff.
Also found a Hammer guide video but its old and apparently there is a fan made Update i need to make it work properly (because of course you do, thanks Valve) but the one in the video is outdated and there is a new one i think?
My current plan for learning is just doing slight modifications for existing maps, like making 2Fort slightly longer, maybe add a few barriers for Sniper shenanigans, or making the Bridge wider. Simple stuff (or what i presume to be simple).
If anyone can point me in the right direction to start reading and learning. Maybe a prompt to get my brain in the right wavelenght to understand.
Thanks in advance.

Tiftid

the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
aa
Sep 10, 2016
This series is pretty excellent for getting a foothold in Hammer:

The "new Hammer" you're talking about is probably Hammer++. You can find it here:

I don't know much about VScript.
I do know that you have to write a script file with a .nut extension and pack it into your map.

Packing assets is its own can of worms, but it's easiest to do with this program:

This page might help you learn what VScript can do:

MEKKALORD KRAUSERLOLS

L1: Registered
Mar 21, 2023
This series is pretty excellent for getting a foothold in Hammer:

The "new Hammer" you're talking about is probably Hammer++. You can find it here:

I don't know much about VScript.
I do know that you have to write a script file with a .nut extension and pack it into your map.

Packing assets is its own can of worms, but it's easiest to do with this program:

This page might help you learn what VScript can do:
Lines up with a few of my findings, ill give them a look tomorrow, thanks!
Also early Dio pic, classy

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Hammer++ isn't required to do VScript stuff (Valve would not add a new feature to their game that's not compatible with their own editor, and especially wouldn't somehow magically make it compatible with a third-party editor), but it does offer some powerful features you won't get from the official Hammer—native rendering of blend materials, skybox preview, buttons to hide entity icons and invisible brushes like trigger volumes without having to mess with the visibility sidebar, and even a working (if kinda crappy) lighting preview. Also I think it fixes the thing where the compiler output would freeze until the compile process is done, which is good if you don't want to have to mess around with any of the other third-party tools that work around that issue.