Need logic assistance on an Aprils Fools map

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
With the upcoming April Fools gameday, and a number of less-than-serious projects on the backburner, I wanted to finish one in time for the event.

The map I'm hoping to release, a revival of an old custom gamemode, is hitting a bit of a snag. As someone who hasn't really explored TF2's logic system beyond tweaking copy-pasted prefabs, the set-up required to make this gamemode work seemed nearly incomprehensible. Luckily, I was able to get in touch with the gamemode's creator, who graciously gave me a copy of their original VMF. I've poked around it a bit myself, and all the logic works right out of the box, but now I have another issue.

Since, to my knowledge, the gamemode was never intended to be used by someone other than it's creator, the logic is sprawled out and has little explanation. This, paired with the fact that the custom gamemode itself is just over a decade old, makes me wonder if the logic could be cleaned up or improved.

I'm asking if someone could poke around the original VMF to see if the logic can be updated or simplified. If possible, I'd also like to ask if the logic could be arranged and explained in a prefab-like VMF by itself, although this may be asking too much.

Since I'd like to keep my project semi-secret (even though I've openly talked about it a number of times), I'll share some specifics in a spoiler box down below.

The gamemode is The Asylum's Pipeball. When I started (and last worked on) this project during Summer 2020, I had roughly 80% of the layout complete. I'll need to revise it a bit more, but I should be done by March so I don't need any assistance in that regard.

The limits to my experimentation with the gamemode (beyond layout experiments) is adding func_clip_vphysics to several spots around the map to block the ball from entering certain areas (such as spawn areas) or getting trapped in sharp corners.

If you'd like to download the original VMF yourself, you can get it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mp9pwce0a374fsa/pipeball_classic.vmf?dl=0

Box Of Paper

L3: Member
Jul 15, 2019
2008 Passtime, cool.
I've started working on it, but I'm pretty much recreating it.
If there's anything specific that you need I can try implementing it.

Box Of Paper

L3: Member
Jul 15, 2019
Done!
If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Attachments

• Pipeball.zip
    46.8 KB · Views: 195