Need help with blending textures.

MOCOLONI

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 16, 2014
it's the density of verts that affects the blending, if they're closer you'll be able to get a sharper transition and if they're far apart you'll be limited to a smooth transition.
If you want to avoid the potential physics issues with power 4 displacements, use power 3 and simply cut up your displacements into smaller sizes
Yeah, I ultimately tried to reduce the ground's blocks into 384x448 each, and seemed to work as intended. It doubled the map's size and there are 136 blocks now, but I guess it will improve the displacements in general. Thank you for the tip anyway!
I made a really small map (1 512x power 4 and 4 128x power 3, all surrounded by skybox) and nothing I could do made it crash...
Maybe it's a problem that exists on other games, like the different function of "func_rotating" between them (even if one is a displacement and the other a brush entity, who knows).

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
Did we ever conclusively figure out whether the physics issue was caused by power-4 displacements specifically or just density?
There are multiple issues it can throw. And typicly it happens on the physdata part there. When looking at the vrad final overview, look at the physdata percentages. Go above 100% and the compile can break (ie. invisible displacements ingame, or crash on contact, the compile could even fail entirely). And with power 4 displacements you reach 100% fast.

Most of what you do with power 4's can already be solved with a power 3 (look at the badwater decompile to see certain transitions between a power 2 and power 3, people dont notice power 2 displacements on smaller displacements, or on ground. It even goes that far that mvm maps use a power of 2 on walls most of the time, and even there the lower detail often doesnt harm players. Many probably wont even notice it is more bumpy.

I use power 2 most of the time, but then again thats probably because of mvm aswel.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
There are multiple issues it can throw. And typicly it happens on the physdata part there. When looking at the vrad final overview, look at the physdata percentages. Go above 100% and the compile can break (ie. invisible displacements ingame, or crash on contact, the compile could even fail entirely). And with power 4 displacements you reach 100% fast.
So it's more that having them in a map pushes this number up a lot, for some reason? That makes a lot more sense than just "maps that have even one of these could eventually crash", since I can't imagine anyone narrowing down the reason for the crash that way.

UKCS-Alias

aa
Sep 8, 2008
There is probably more to it. But since i often avoid going that way i dont know all of them, the above one were just some examples that can be a result. Also, the 100% value might not be accurate on that, maybe it already happens on 80%. But a higher value still increases the chance (note that reaching 80% with only power 3 and 1 power 4 shouldnt harm - although its still quite high).

A common thing i can remember that can make 1 of them already crash is when you are doing some extreme hills in it (ie. a 1024-1024 area has a peak of 1500HU high). No guarantee on that, but its a very sensitive way to get it to break. Where if its mostly flat and only curved a little it doesnt get this problem.

Anyway, if you need a power 4 displacement, think first if you can do the same with a power 3 (which you probably can) and that the power 3 displacements are a reasonable size (you dont want tiny displacements)

MOCOLONI

Dec 16, 2014
There is probably more to it. But since i often avoid going that way i dont know all of them, the above one were just some examples that can be a result. Also, the 100% value might not be accurate on that, maybe it already happens on 80%. But a higher value still increases the chance (note that reaching 80% with only power 3 and 1 power 4 shouldnt harm - although its still quite high).

A common thing i can remember that can make 1 of them already crash is when you are doing some extreme hills in it (ie. a 1024-1024 area has a peak of 1500HU high). No guarantee on that, but its a very sensitive way to get it to break. Where if its mostly flat and only curved a little it doesnt get this problem.

Anyway, if you need a power 4 displacement, think first if you can do the same with a power 3 (which you probably can) and that the power 3 displacements are a reasonable size (you dont want tiny displacements)
If I ever will need 'Power 4' displacements, I'm sure I'll use them on a 3D Skybox; never on the main map. Maybe disabling physics collision on a 'Power 4' displacement may not bring these issues (a suggestion for the outside the world or the 3D Skybox itself).

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
I think the crash might be related to actual physics calculations. Too many displacement map points intersecting with an object or something?

MoonFox

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 17, 2015
I thought I posted something earlier, but: Powers of one is all you need for 3d skyboxes (sometimes not even that), otherwise the higher power makes for smoother overlays etc

UKCS-Alias

aa
Sep 8, 2008
If I ever will need 'Power 4' displacements, I'm sure I'll use them on a 3D Skybox; never on the main map.
That doesnt help at all. The problem can still happen. Its better to learn how to properly connect a skybox to the map and still use only power 3 and power 2 displacements.

MOCOLONI

Dec 16, 2014
That doesnt help at all. The problem can still happen. Its better to learn how to properly connect a skybox to the map and still use only power 3 and power 2 displacements.
Oh, that's not what I meant. There's a post that talks about 'Power 4' displacements, and I only said that if needed, I would use 'Power 4' displacements on my map's 3D Skybox only.

UKCS-Alias

aa
Sep 8, 2008
what i was trying to state is that even in skyboxes you shouldnt need them. Many times when you connect the skybox to the map you do that by taking the map borders, scale them down and then build next to them. This should already give some smaller areas which you often can fill with power 3 displacements. you then build around the map with only power 2 or 3 to make a circle. And further away into the skybox you shouldnt be using a power 4 at all. Putting 1 huge displacement under the map, although easier and often doing the job, is still a bad practice.