MPL (Multiple Payload) Map mode set up

Oct 6, 2008
Ok, here's another resource for you who want to be creative:

MULTIPLE PAYLOAD MAPS

What is it? It's a game play style where blur has to push all the carts?

"Yeah, big deal!" you say but in this version of game play, blue pushes all the carts AT THE SAME TIME!

They can focus on pushing one or the other or both at the same time to mix up the gameplay style a bit. It causes both teams to become creative in how they attack and defend.

Tips for map creation:
- the payloads can't be that far apart - both teams should be able to get to the carts fairly quickly
- the path length has to be the same for both carts especially if you are going to activate a third cart?

Activate a third cart? What the hell does that mean?

Well in the files included, you will find a three cart payload map. What happens when you play it?

- you have to push two of the carts to their goal, once done, they become inactive BUT when they are both become disabled both of the HUD trackers for those carts get reset to halfway on both of the HUDS and the third payload becomes active.
- then when you push the third payload the progress bar of BOTH the HUDS will move at the same time until you cap the final cap point.

What else is there to know?

- the HUD, in case you didn't know payload maps take the information from different files to create the HUD - more on this in a sec.
- the easiest thing to do is to ignore the HUD colours, teams will just have to get used to it - seeing red and blue but knowing that blue has to push all the carts.
- what you can do to help with the above is the glow texture outline for the cart - go to your team_control_point master and copy paste 'sprites/obj_icons/icon_base_blu' into the redbase icon field. this should give the red cart the blue outline around the payload - if it doesn't look for something similar that's how you do it.
- Ok now is the sec part. IF YOU REALLY WANT to change the HUD so that both the payload tracks have a blue starting icon, a blue finish icon and have both tracks track as blue when the cart goes left ot right along the track then you should read this post https://tf2maps.net/threads/resource-mpl_-game-type-setups-coding.24979/#post-335468 The procedure is quite tricky and all the files that you convert will have to be packed into the map before you can play the map and see the changes you have done. NOTE WORK ON COPIES OF THE FILES NOT ON YOUR ACTUAL FILES!
- a last note - although I was successful in recreating the HUD look, I did experience some z fighting with the red track. as the cart moved along the path, it would (the colour part not the HUD) flicker between blue and black. Was never able to figure it out < i.e. what other file was sending the information to the HUD in the payload game to cause this.
- the map file bsp included will not show you the custom Hud in action
- final note - keep this map SIMPLE SIMPLE SIMPLE - coding the logic can become very confusing very quickly as you are more or less duplicating all the code in the map. Call Path 1, Cart_01_path...Path 2 Cart_02_Path and Path three Cart_03_path. Also keep the coding on different sides of the map as you work it will keep you sane.

And finally, a special thanks goes out to YOUME who helped me with the logic triggers for the bridges, etc. I couldn't get one, then the other to fire properly depending on which one was fired first which was completely dependent on which cart crossed the bridge first.

Attachments

• mpl_losthorizon_b10.zip
    16 MB · Views: 153