Morrigan Alley

PL Morrigan Alley B3

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Please don't do what yyler's suggesting.

treythepunkid

L4: Comfortable Member
Sep 8, 2008
Ok so i am getting very close to A2. I have added wheel tracks for the cart all along its path as well as made home made blu painted arrows to help guide the cart.

tracks01.jpg

tracks02.jpg

tracks03.jpg

tracks04.jpg

And just as a little experiment i wanted to try and add in the iron maiden into the map.
As you can see there is a full health pack right in front of the iron maiden. Think of the iron maiden like the log in arena_lumberyard. It will (hopefully) help people from turtling on the full health, one wrong step near that health and your dead. If this is completely wrong let me know, i mean it makes sense to me.

tracks06.jpg

Call me optimistic all you want but i want to TRY and get A2 out tonight, all of its done i just have to recompile the textures and pack them into the BSP.

Deloras

L2: Junior Member
Aug 20, 2009
May I suggest you build your houses higher? Seems very tiny for a medieval city, I'm living in a city full of that kind of houses and it's mostly 2 or 3 floor without counting the attic.

Also, on your third screen, it seems that the "encorbellement" (don't know the English word for that) of the first floor is much too important.

Here's an example of the houses in my town:

strasbourg-taxe-habitation-logement.jpg

petite%20france.jpg

As you can see the first floor isn't much larger than the ground floor. You can also add a corbel to each floor to get the house much larger with the height, like with those houses:

colombageGT.jpg

Anyway, I love the look of your map, and I do love your medieval props. Keep up the good work!

treythepunkid

Sep 8, 2008
May I suggest you build your houses higher? Seems very tiny for a medieval city, I'm living in a city full of that kind of houses and it's mostly 2 or 3 floor without counting the attic.

Also, on your third screen, it seems that the "encorbellement" (don't know the English word for that) of the first floor is much too important.

Here's an example of the houses in my town:

strasbourg-taxe-habitation-logement.jpg

petite%20france.jpg

As you can see the first floor isn't much larger than the ground floor. You can also add a corbel to each floor to get the house much larger with the height, like with those houses:

colombageGT.jpg

Anyway, I love the look of your map, and I do love your medieval props. Keep up the good work!

No, thank you!

Thanks so much, those images are exactly the kinda feeling i wanted from my
map.

I was dictating my style by mixing the work Valve did in Degroot with images like these.

Medieval+Town.jpg

It seemed like most of the buildings in that image only went up to two stories, same with Valves houses. I will agree that my houses do seem quite small and the overhang of some of the stories do seem a bit much. When it comes to detailing i will straighten those out.

Thanks again though! I will reference those images a lot from now on, they are perfect!

treythepunkid

Sep 8, 2008
Hey guys, here is Alpha 2. A little later than i wanted but at least its out.

here is the change log from Alpha 1;

-Added arrows and track overlays to show where the cart is moving.

-Added animated capture point flags to cap 1 and 2 to help tell what team owns what point from a distance.

-Down scaled start of the map.

-Added more side routes to help getting to capture points very fast.

-Fixed all arrow braziers

-Added new medieval food and ammo types for health and ammo pickups

-Added more lighting to the map.

-Updated some models lighting origins to help make them appear better.

-Removed all collisions on all stone arch ways.

-Straightened out some of the path tracks that where going into tight areas.

-Some layout changes to Reds first spawn.

-Lowered courtyards fountain to allow all classes access to health and ammo.

-Stylized buildings to help provide sniper cover.

-Updated one area with experimental death trap: The Iron Maiden.

Download the BZ2 and BSP file from here!

Mirror #1

Mirror #2

On the subject of the brazier, here is how i got mine to work.

arrowhelp.jpg

I assume the angles property means what angle you must look at to light your arrow. so the settings in my one you have to look down and right at the brazier.

Another thing i had to do with ALL my braziers is set there origins which was quite annoying on a ent that doesn't do it automatically. There might be a way to speed this process up but what i had to do is copy the trigger_ignite_arrow ent made it a ent that automatically gets its own origin and copy and paste it into the ignite_arrow ent.

And that was pretty much it. Hope this has helped!

Hell-met

L1: Registered
Oct 30, 2010
I assume the angles property means what angle you must look at to light your arrow. so the settings in my one you have to look down and right at the brazier.

Another thing i had to do with ALL my braziers is set there origins which was quite annoying on a ent that doesn't do it automatically. There might be a way to speed this process up but what i had to do is copy the trigger_ignite_arrow ent made it a ent that automatically gets its own origin and copy and paste it into the ignite_arrow ent.

No idea if I even understood that, but many thanks.

Last edited:

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009

Oh of course.

Zhan

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 18, 2010
I felt when I played this yesterday that everything is much too dark (though it might just be my poor screen and lack of HDR?). For me it made it difficult to see enemies standing right next to you, and much more difficult to see the snipers a mile away aiming for your head. I know you've got a whole night theme going but I'm unsure how you could make the map brighter without a ridiculous number of candle lights. That's why I'd suggest you move the map into daytime so that everything can be illuminated with natural light instead of relying on candles, which would make everything easier to see and the map more fun to play, in my opinion.

treythepunkid

Sep 8, 2008
Not much of a update but just wanted to update my progress. I have been busy detailing the map, here is a small piece of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAfMe8sTfXE

Also a little sneak peak at the Blues dungeon spawn!

dun.jpg

I would post more but i would rather post my progress once its mostly whole. More updates real soon!

IrishTaxIDriver

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 27, 2008
I don't like those nooses waving in the wind, it looks too much like they're flags or something. I'd say remove it, or make the rope + knot swing.

Otherwise, holy shit. This is looking really good.

EDIT: I grabbed your alpha, I'll run through it tonight and see if I can get you anything more.