Morras Castle

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
First stage, the cliffside pathway is annoying as hell. You either fall off trying to jump onto the dirt path, fall while trying to jump into the tower, or fall for no reason. Smooth it out.

Second stage: seal off the entire first stage from BLU spawn. I'm specifically talking about C, which can be reached during setup, confusing players. A fence right after the second gate should do the trick.

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
if i add medkit there, i'm afraid that sniping from there would be too easy. i could probably just make them inaccessible, but i really don't want to

I was thinking that but I didn't think that snipers could get to half of them. It just seems a bit pointless to me having a 'battlement' that's not really of any use as I don't think I actualy saw anyone in any of them. I went in one, realised it was just a waste of health as there was nothing up there, and never went in another. Also they are quite high up so maybe they're hard to spot?

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
First stage, the cliffside pathway is annoying as hell. You either fall off trying to jump onto the dirt path, fall while trying to jump into the tower, or fall for no reason. Smooth it out.

Second stage: seal off the entire first stage from BLU spawn. I'm specifically talking about C, which can be reached during setup, confusing players. A fence right after the second gate should do the trick.

cliff path will be better once i start displacing the displacements.

fence after the second gate will also seal off blu spawn in the big house at C :p i think just destroying the control point would be better

Sergis

aa
Jul 22, 2009
I was thinking that but I didn't think that snipers could get to half of them. It just seems a bit pointless to me having a 'battlement' that's not really of any use as I don't think I actualy saw anyone in any of them. I went in one, realised it was just a waste of health as there was nothing up there, and never went in another. Also they are quite high up so maybe they're hard to spot?

i think the snipers just didn't knew the right path to battlements. or if they knew, they were playing another class :p
also the battlement between C and E is the shortest way between those points
some torches there should make the battlements more noticeable

anyways, its a castle. it MUST have battlements :D

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
These displacements are semi-walkable, smooth that part out.
You can see under the map here.

Fun map, as usual. I suggest putting the signposts at or below player eye level; looking up to see where you need to go is very annoying and distracting.

Kronack

L2: Junior Member
Oct 26, 2009
Messed up displacement near point C
Other than that I would have to say it's pretty complex. It's hard to explain, but I felt lost even though I was following signs 90% of the time.

Sergis

aa
Jul 22, 2009
Messed up displacement near point C
Other than that I would have to say it's pretty complex. It's hard to explain, but I felt lost even though I was following signs 90% of the time.

i saw you getting kinda lost in the beginning of second stage. the path to D and its signs seem to be less than obvious :D i'll think of something

i'll be optimistic and assume that only one feedback post means that there aren't any major problems with the map apart from it being confusing sometimes. so for now, i'll take a little break from mapping. i've made a long way from this
cp_morras_castle_a10001.jpg

to this
cp_morras_castle_b30000.jpg

and it's time for a timeout :)

REEJ

L420: High Member
Aug 26, 2010
first map I'm actually downloading just to run around on it alone,
love gothic 1 atmosphere of these screens

edit ps, my feedback @ beta:
- too many (cp here) signs, ones placed on buildings usually make me think that cp is right inside
- map really needs a custom stone texture for the walls (something a bit brighter and of more solid-flat appearance)
- a torch light in a few darker spots would improve the atmosphere greatly

Really want this map finished and polished, original stuff doesn't often happen in tf2.

Last edited:

Sergis

aa
Jul 22, 2009
first map I'm actually downloading just to run around on it alone,
love gothic 1 atmosphere of these screens

edit ps, my feedback @ beta:
- too many (cp here) signs, ones placed on buildings usually make me think that cp is right inside
- map really needs a custom stone texture for the walls (something a bit brighter and of more solid-flat appearance)
- a torch light in a few darker spots would improve the atmosphere greatly

Really want this map finished and polished, original stuff doesn't often happen in tf2.

i try to keep my map not littered with signs, but no matter how i place them, every gameday there was somebody who got lost.
i'm not really a fan of custom stuff. all custom things in my map are there either because they were necessary (hay, props made of brushwork because of the stupid lighting glitch which haunts me every version) or i really wanted them (banners).

I hope you are going to finish this sometime.

don't worry. i've put way too much work into this map just to quit now that it's almost done :D

Last edited:

Sergis

aa
Jul 22, 2009
well that was kinda disappointing gameday. goes to show how much one missing sign can fuck everything up. the path through caves was mostly unused, especially when the C was the last point left to cap. players mostly seemed to take paths marked in red
cp_morras_castle_almostb50ytre0-1.jpg

Lessons learned:
- place the signs everywhere and doublecheck them
- areaportals dont want to close in multiplayer (at least they didnt when i watched the demo)
- "almost" shenanigans dont work. players still report holes even when explained why there are a lot of them

Lessons not learned, considered untrue
- A -> BC is bad (any cap layout will suck if only one path to cp will be used)

oh well. at least i got 3 gifts :D

Sergis

aa
Jul 22, 2009
To the people who keep saying that the map is way too big and i'm not doing anything about it:
Size of a1 (selecting all in topdown view except the skybox) : 12459.8x17008.5
Size of a7_p (first posted on TF2maps) : 14477.0x12794.7
Size of a12 (first big resize after first playtest) : 13312.0x10480.0
Size of almostb5 (another resize) : 10976.0x9280
Size of sdk_cp_gravelpit : 8768.0x9296.0
My map is twice bigger than Gravelpit controlpoint-wise, yet only 2000 units wider :p Also since the first playtest i've compressed the map by 3500 units on both axis, while keeping the map as it was intended. It is not as big as it seems to be. And once I get the signs right, it won't even seem that big.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2009
To the people who keep saying that the map is way too big and i'm not doing anything about it:
Size of a1 (selecting all in topdown view except the skybox) : 12459.8x17008.5
Size of a7_p (first posted of TF2maps) : 14477.0x12794.7
Size of a12 (first big resize after first playtest) : 13312.0x10480.0
Size of almostb5 (another resize) : 10976.0x9280
Size of sdk_cp_gravelpit : 8768.0x9296.0
My map is twice bigger than Gravelpit controlpoint-wise, yet only 2000 units wider :p Also since the first playtest i've compressed the map by 3500 units on both axis, while keeping the map as it was intended. It is not as big as it seems to be. And once I get the signs right, it won't even seem that big.

I think thats its just that there are so many routes and changes that its hard to tell what is what and where is where...if that makes sense