Moonshine

Moonshine rc

Wegason

L3: Member
Aug 16, 2009
Just had a go at this, plays really well as a KOTH map, nice job.

sniprpenguin

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 14, 2008
Just came from a playing of it. First off, very nice job. Just a few things from me:

*Seems to take to long to cap the point. I don't know if the time you set were the standards set in the official KOTH maps, but we had a good 5 min. battle to cap the point initially.

*The area in front of the spawns seems very bland. Could use spicing up.

heyyou

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 19, 2009
Just came from a playing of it. First off, very nice job. Just a few things from me:

*Seems to take to long to cap the point. I don't know if the time you set were the standards set in the official KOTH maps, but we had a good 5 min. battle to cap the point initially.

*The area in front of the spawns seems very bland. Could use spicing up.

Thank you. The cap point is set to the same standards of the official koth maps the only difference if the point opens up 2 seconds earlier than the rest.

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
Well, seeing as those times are usually too slow as well, you might want to shorten them.

tf2withbeer

L1: Registered
Aug 29, 2009
I just played this map for the first time on a full server last night and the only thing I can say is wow. This map is really well done. The server admin actually extend the map a few rounds just so we could play it some more. I've notice a couple of people are talking about the cap time but, I really feel like it is almost perfect. The point changed hands many times during the match.

As a bit of constructive criticism, I can say the brightness was maybe a little too bright for the night sky but, honestly on the other hand it works. I really can't stand tf2 maps that are dark and feel like l4d (I would play L4D if I wanted dark and creepy). So maybe turn it down just a hair. I also feel like there should be a little more of a swamp feel if this is a swamp map, but again I still really like the look and feel of this map and I like waterfalls :) . (Not really sure how that could be fixed as for I've only tinkered with hammer a couple of times.)

Overall I like the Koth play-mode and I really liked this map better than the other Koth maps Valve release and/or other community Koth maps (so far). You definitely have my vote for getting this picked up by Valve. Good Luck and keep up the good work. :thumbup1:

Vander

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Feb 16, 2008
One thing I noticed:

(red spawn)

koth_moonshine0000.jpg

koth_moonshine0001.jpg

Great map btw. My only worry is that all of the water makes pyros a little less useful around the cap point. Haven't been able to play it yet, so can't say for certain it is an issue.

heyyou

Aug 19, 2009
Great map btw. My only worry is that all of the water makes pyros a little less useful around the cap point. Haven't been able to play it yet, so can't say for certain it is an issue.

Screens are the best, thanks! ;)

Definately check out the map with a full server. The water is only deep enough to put out fire in two spots; one spot under the waterfall and one under the main building. There are four points of exit (two on each side) out of the water, so the water can become a little bit of a penalty for jumping into. This is nice because if pyros come on to the point it forces people off the point and into the water or they have to face him head on. This worked out really well in testing. Also the pyro become very useful if the other team decideds to bunker down in the bayou shipping house (main point) because the house is closed up in really closed quaters. Let me know how it goes with a full server.

Wegason

Aug 16, 2009
I managed to have a little play on it, its a shame the KOTH servers don't seem to be running it in the TF2 world, it should be added to the Big King Pack IMO as it is a very good KOTH map.

Zwiffle

Jun 24, 2008
Yeah I agree with most everyone it looks very good and the detailing is top notch, but the lighting doesn't match the skybox imo. It could very well be an unstoppable map if you redid the lighting - I'm thinking of Schism, Premuda and Panic specifically. They each have very moody lighting that goes well with their skybox, and it seemed to be one of the first things they each aimed at nailing down along with layout. But that doesn't mean the map looks bad, it just feels off, less swampy than it should.

tf2withbeer

Aug 29, 2009
I Just downloaded the new version and put it on my server for a go with a few people.

First off the lighting is much much better, its how night time should feel for a map like this. Map feels more swampy with the new additions and the gator is really cool, although it took us a minute to find (nice little Easter egg), it became the saw blade (like on sawmill), everyone went to go die from the gator after the game was done.

Overall skill play's really well. Old version quickly became our favorite koth map and this one feels perfect with the new additions, so I'm sure it will remain in that place.

Great Job!

Lindsay Bluth

Aug 23, 2009
I finally got on a server and played the new version, and it was so much better than the first!

The lighting looks phenominal. Version 2 is definitely more refined and all of the small tweaks definitely made the map more efficient.

I am not the biggest fan of KoTH style maps (no movement/progression on the board), but this one is definitely playable and I am finding that I always enjoy a good round on it!;)

Keep up the GREAT work! You have quite the little gem on your hands and you should be extremely proud of this map...you don't see many like it, quality-wise.

Yepes

Sep 19, 2009
Map won't load.

I don't know why, but I can't get this map to work: it starts loading, but then suddenly stops after 1-2 seconds and stays that way during 30 minutes (and maybe more, because I killed the hl2.exe proccess since the Cancel button wouldn't work).

I'll post my settings, and let's see if you can help me. Thanks in advance.

AMD 2x core 5000+, 2'6 Ghz ; Nvidia GeForce 8400GS; 2GB RAM; Windows Vista 64 bits

Texture and model settings in mid-low, weather effects disabled, and these Launch options:

-sw -noborder -novid -w 1024 -dxlevel 81 -heapsize 262144 +mat_forcehardwaresync 0 -console -noforcemaccel -noforcemparms -noforcemspd

Any idea? Anyone happens to have the same problem? How can I make it work?

HALP!!!1one!11111

Thanks in advance. :)

Jamster

Oct 28, 2008
This is such a great KoTH map, our server definitely enjoys it. I wouldn't be surprised if this became official at some point. Great work.

Lindsay Bluth

Aug 23, 2009
I don't know why, but I can't get this map to work: it starts loading, but then suddenly stops after 1-2 seconds and stays that way during 30 minutes (and maybe more, because I killed the hl2.exe proccess since the Cancel button wouldn't work).

AMD 2x core 5000+, 2'6 Ghz ; Nvidia GeForce 8400GS; 2GB RAM; Windows Vista 64 bits

Texture and model settings in mid-low, weather effects disabled, and these Launch options:

-sw -noborder -novid -w 1024 -dxlevel 81 -heapsize 262144 +mat_forcehardwaresync 0 -console -noforcemaccel -noforcemparms -noforcemspd

HALP!!!1one!11111

Wow, that's really odd. I don't think I can help, but I'm sure one of these other boy-geniuses around here can. Did you download the map yourself or are you trying to get onto a server with the map up?

Good luck!:)

The_Ulf

May 26, 2009
Aw, shit. :(

There goes my death-gator idea.

At least it has gone to a worthy foe! Seriously though, this looks and seems to play great. :D

Yepes

Sep 19, 2009
MAP WON'T WORK UNLESS YOU USE DIRECTX 9.0 OR BETTER.

Caps and bold, it should be solved in a future v3...

heyyou

Aug 19, 2009

HALP!!!1one!11111

You got it, dxlevel 81 seems to be the problem. Switching it to dxlevel 90 or higher is currently the solution (but not really because tf2 will most likely run worse for most people with slower hardware). I have a few idea's of what could be causing the problem and currently researching solutions so that dx 81 users can run the map properly.

Although the problem is small, it seemed to have popped up over night :mellow: (all my test group must be running 90 or higher and I have over 200 testers that helped me at any point in time) Sorry for the issue and thank you for bringing it to my attention and your interest in the map. :)

Wegason

Aug 16, 2009
I managed to have a little play on it, its a shame the KOTH servers don't seem to be running it in the TF2 world, it should be added to the Big King Pack IMO as it is a very good KOTH map.

I've added it to my KOTH server rotation.

Based in the UK, play at 83.142.49.185:28015