***Mini Mapping Contest #6 - Upload Thread***

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Wait a sec! FAIL dustbowl clone. Gotcha.

What the hell, man? How is it a clone/rip-off/whatever just because it mimicks the TF2 style? I think he point of Nine's entry is to show good use of the TF2 style to create something that's on par with Valve's own maps. After all, the contest was never about the most unique spawn room, was it?

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
What the hell, man? How is it a clone/rip-off/whatever just because it mimicks the TF2 style? I think he point of Nine's entry is to show good use of the TF2 style to create something that's on par with Valve's own maps. After all, the contest was never about the most unique spawn room, was it?

Thanks MuffinMan, that's basically what I want to say, since everyone seems to be more inclined to say I made a copy of Granary (or in Fatony's case, Dustbowl) than to give me some actual feedback/constructive criticism.

Apom

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 14, 2008
Damn Apom, I've got to find a way to use that in a map.
My plan was to have it as the counterpart of the BLU train crash spawn in a GravelPit-style map (likely named cp_plasma). I already have some sketches and a layout, I'll just polish my Cathedrals map before starting that new project (although the two respawns are already a good start, but hey, that was for the contest). So don't worry, this will see use and not just lie around ;)

Nineaxis said:
Thanks MuffinMan, that's basically what I want to say, since everyone seems to be more inclined to say I made a copy of Granary (or in Fatony's case, Dustbowl) than to give me some actual feedback/constructive criticism.
I couldn't find anything bad to say about your entry :p And obviously, it's not a rip-off, I mean we all get inspiration in different places and the fact that you got it in Valve's maps doesn't make you a plagiarist.

The only thing one could say is to nodraw hidden faces and the like (something I haven't done myself despite many possibilities in the computer room), for performance reasons. Nothing relevant for the contest anyways.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
The only thing one could say is to nodraw hidden faces and the like (something I haven't done myself despite many possibilities in the computer room), for performance reasons. Nothing relevant for the contest anyways.
Talking about in the factory room? Had to texture those faces for the sake of cubemaps for the rocket (nodraw + cubemaps = skybox reflection on the rockets). Everything else not visible is nodraw, I'm pretty sure.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Well we've had some fantastic entries so far, I'm really looking forwards to picking apart all their short-comings at the end of next week :D

I'll have mine done by then and I'd like to encourage anyone who hasn't yet entered theirs or even started as spawnroom to try this out, it might take you two hours to make (give or take depending on your attention to detail) and it will almost certainly improve your detailing skillz

Apom

Sep 14, 2008
Talking about in the factory room? Had to texture those faces for the sake of cubemaps for the rocket (nodraw + cubemaps = skybox reflection on the rockets). Everything else not visible is nodraw, I'm pretty sure.
Yeah, that's what I was talking about. I didn't think about the cubemaps though.

I'll have mine done by then and I'd like to encourage anyone who hasn't yet entered theirs or even started as spawnroom to try this out, it might take you two hours to make (give or take depending on your attention to detail) and it will almost certainly improve your detailing skillz
It took me much more than two hours D:

cornontheCoD

L420: High Member
Mar 25, 2008
^same here, mine took much more than 2 hours. but we all work at different speeds, so whatever

Psyphil

L3: Member
Nov 6, 2007
I can now proudly say that I made my promise and have created my own spawnroom, I'm really happy about it and can say it's my first "final" creation in hammer.

Thanks CHR0N0S for the use of your rocket science poster and mrmof is the creator of the red logo.

Some thumbnails: (and no the scout isn't part of the spawnroom)

EDIT: forgot the link :blushing: http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=736

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
The first of my two:
2969391572_3f04020282_o.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28746141@N08/2969391572/

link - http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=740

Jazz

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 9, 2008
What texture do you use for the window frame in the second pic? I am quite tired of using the ugly gray metal one.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Why a red locker in a blue spawn room?

damn, I didnt see that.

I'll do an entities only compile and it will be changed in a flash!

Edit: Updated the file, only one person downloaded it so that one person (if they can't cope with having a red locker in a blue room) should re-download it.

and now I've looked at the file -
What texture do you use for the window frame in the second pic? I am quite tired of using the ugly gray metal one.
computer007

Last edited:

Apom

Sep 14, 2008
The upper stairs are extremely unpractical. The ceiling blocks you if you don't crouch, the fluorescent light blocks you if you are not close enough to the wall, and then the window's wood plate blocks you if you are too close to the wall.

Also, you have way too many particles in your smoke effect near the exit, it's causing catastrophic performance drops.