Meet Wheatley

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
The problem with his voice is that he sounds like he is addressing a five year old. Last time I checked both myself and chell were adults and adults generally like to be spoken to like adults rather than little children.
He's so patronising.

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
He IS a personality sphere, maybe his personality is patronising.

hm?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
He IS a personality sphere, maybe his personality is patronising.

hm?

In that case he isn't patronising enough. It would be a pretty bad choice to have the main character as a deliberate patronising personality, especially with GLaDOS's lovely personality.

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
The problem with his voice is that he sounds like he is addressing a five year old. Last time I checked both myself and chell were adults and adults generally like to be spoken to like adults rather than little children.
He's so patronising.

Every robot in Portal has that attitude, though, with a slight hint of evil by subtle wording. I think Wheatley is the morality core, though, so he'd be the most goody two-shoes out of them.

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
Wheatley's Cockney accent heard in the Portal 2 demo at E3 2010 is actually a placeholder voice provided by Valve animator Richard Lord.[1] However, due to very positive feedback, Valve is considering making the voice official,[5] although Lord himself was still stating later that his voice was temporary, saying that "theres no way you will be dissapointed with the final voice - im over teh moon with who it might be."

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/06/portal-2-wheatley/

i just hope, that's gonna be it and it'll be replaced with proper voice acting. while i totally love english accents, this guy just has zero acting talent :D

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I wouldn't say they sound like they're talking to children at all. The turrets are naive personalities themselves and GLaDOS is patronising but not in that talking-to-a-five-year-old way.

Ninjilla

L420: High Member
Sep 13, 2008
Even with the new actor, the sphere itself has too much motion to it for me. Doesn't seem very robotic when it moves more than a human.

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
i like that movement a lot. makes me think of r2d2 all the time :D
much love for this wheatley :eek:

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
I keep seeing exposure for this video and wondering: "Why the heck is this being treated like it was new?"

____

I too thought: "Gee, this seems like a horrible dub-over", but I've seen no indications that that isn't the actual voice they're going to go with...

Jan 20, 2010
Agreed, it should be toned down imho

Why? It shows emotion, which might be programmed into its personality. It might have even developed after years of being alone in his little area with only turrets to talk to. You find it annoying that a robot shows too much emotion?

Personally, Wheatley reminds me of R. Daneel Olivaw from The Robot Series by Isaac Asimov. A helpful robot with a personality.

I already have a connection to Wheatley. He seems like a nice little personality sphere, I hope the others are like him. :p

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
I'm deliberately not watching this so that I can be hilariously suprised during the first 15 minutes of portal. This is going to be hard, really hard.

Exist

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 31, 2009
Hey I noticed a few things in the video

Valve is using tf2 prop, reskins maybe. check video at 1:50.

Also, there is detail around 1:45 that looks like doublecross's bridge

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Hey I noticed a few things in the video

Valve is using tf2 prop, reskins maybe. check video at 1:50.

Also, there is detail around 1:45 that looks like doublecross's bridge

I see nothing like doublecross' bridge.

The computer props at 1:50 may just be placeholder reskins or they may be entirely new. impossible to tell.

since the voice is temporary, I think its safe to assume other stuff is too.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
We know for a fact that the voice is temporary?