Meet the Sniper's Assets

Jack Riguel

L10: Glamorous Member
Jul 19, 2009
Well... was hoping for something a bit more informative from the tf2 team. :/ Aw well, at least it's something.

Wegason

L3: Member
Aug 16, 2009
S.W.A.T.Y, will we be seeing some of these in Outback? :D

FaTony

Banned
Mar 25, 2008
http://www.moddb.com/groups/source-developers/images/source-filmmaker
source_filmmaker.jpg

Shit I was coding the same thing in SourceMod.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Do this model have any form of optimization (LODs, not to many poly's) if not welcome to HELL! (if ppl spam these in their maps)

they're not actually that high poly, but no they dont have any LODs or any collision meshes

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
Lol poor swaty inda makes outbacks customs useless guess you'll have to update it

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
I'm thinking if there is a possible way to make the truck move down the road but It could kill the performance so Im not sure yet.
Parent the model to a func_tracktrain and a path_track down the road? Not really a big performance killer.

Now all we need is the Spy stuff...

Mexican Apple Thief

L3: Junior Member<br>LEAD FARMER
Aug 23, 2008
Do this model have any form of optimization (LODs, not to many poly's) if not welcome to HELL! (if ppl spam these in their maps)

They don't, but they'll only be used for slight detail. If the mapper knows what they're doing anyway.

Jack Riguel

Jul 19, 2009
Parent the model to a func_tracktrain and a path_track down the road? Not really a big performance killer.

Now all we need is the Spy stuff...

Oddly enough, agreed. Actually what I really want is that intro song to the meet the spy video so I can use it for future films (especially for the potential How's It's Made "Custom Edition" Video) . It's probably my favourite song out of all the Valve Orchestra stuff.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Yes, I have already placed all of them in Outback, they make the map look 100x better. I'm thinking if there is a possible way to make the truck move down the road but It could kill the performance so Im not sure yet. I have this idea that I'd like to do with the models, like when someone walks near the telephone pole , the phone will ring and you'll hear the sniper's voice or maybe just the phone ringing. I was also thinking if there is a possible way to make the truck crash into the fences but I guess that would require a lot of modeling work.

With the exception of the signs, you want to remove them. the campervan is 30,000 polygons. thats the same as SIX hydro dumptrucks all in the same spot.
the bobble heads are each 1500 polys, way too high for a model their size and the payphone is over 6000 polys, more than the hydro dumptruck and ten times that of the existing tf2 telegraph pole.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
they're not actually that high poly, but no they dont have any LODs or any collision meshes

I retract this, the campervan is just 300 less than 30,000 thats Thirty THOUSAND polygons.

Needless to say: Do not use this in your map unless it is the only object visible in the area it is in.

The payphone is over 6000

for comparison, the HIGHEST level of detail of the Hydro dumptruck is around 5000.

Van: 30,000 (hydro truck = 5000)
Phone: 6,000 (normal telegraph pole = 670)
Bobblehead(s): 1,500
Mug: 700
HS sign: 116 (sort of acceptable for what it is, if one of us made it we'd get told to trim it down though, its high for what it is)
FOAD billboard: 230 (actually acceptable for a map but it's vertex layout isnt that good if its in partial shade)

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
just played around with the van a bit. got it down to 18.000 triangles so far.
i think around 12.000 should be fair enought without having to heavily revisit the model. alone the wheels had 10.000 triangles that could be cut :D

Tapp

Jan 26, 2009
You might be able to use the mindxlevel setting on something higher than what max settings is, so that people would need to manually enable them. Otherwise, someone just made an optimised van that you can use.