Maple Falls

Maple Falls a7c

Lacry

L6: Sharp Member
Feb 25, 2019
Maple Falls - A 4CP made by Lacry

Fight in a forest with a lake, during autumn!

It’s a linear 4CP, set on a maple forest. Made for the 72 Hour Jam 2020.

Credits
-Lacry: Map
-Muddy: 4CP Mode
-Berry: Autumnal Pack
-Exactol: Leaf Particles​

Last edited:

Lacry

Feb 25, 2019
I haven't touch this map in a while (more than a year), and since its November, the most autumn month of the year, here's an update on my most autumn map.

Changelog
-Redone almost from scratch
-Smaller and less boring
-Changed environment​

Read the rest of this update entry...

Lacry

Feb 25, 2019
Changelog
-Map is now smaller
-Redone Control Point B and C almost from scratch
-Redone the in-between buildings from scratch
-Added a new entrance to Control Point C
-Added playerclips in some buildings that didn't have it​

Lacry

Feb 25, 2019
I know last time the map didnt got any feedback, but sometimes i start working on the next version of a map even before releasing the finished one, that's kind of what happend here.

Changelog
-Map is smaller (again)
-Changed skybox, added the sun and added a color correction
-Added some textures to make it look less boring​

Lacry

Feb 25, 2019
I don't like to ask for this kind of things but... why is this map so bad?

I mean, everytime it gets played people just doesnt seem to enjoy, and people actually leaves the imp just because of this map, today was played and people after 5 minutes were already asking for the next map. And the feedback i get i dont really think it improves the map too much, even if now i try to fix all the feedback i got, the map would still be bad.

There is one message that says "feels like there's not a lot of effort put into this map", and this is a big let down to me, because i worked a lot of days in this version, maybe i'm doing something wrong while mapping, but to me it takes me a lot of time to make a new version, and it doesnt feel nice when i complete it and people just doesnt like it.

I don't want to blame the community or anything, but i really want to know why this map isnt fun and fix it, cause i dont want to spend a few days on the next version to get a similar impresion.

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
Hello, I was in the last test and here some reasons as to why I personally don't think it is very good.

GENERAL NOTES

- Skybox is too low.
- Spawns are easily camped and exposed.
- Walk distances feel way too short, there is no evolving front line to speak of, you own the mid or you don't.
- Everything feels cramped.
- Gimmick of two points at mid adds nothing to powerhouse style 3cp, it just makes taking back control that much harder.
- Even if you made the points further apart, it would then split teams up when trying to push mid.
- Gameplay spaces feel like they lack any sort of options for interesting tactics or gameplay, especially last.

MID

42853EC20DE23B79AC9CC0A44EBC5BE8F16046ED

B side feels like a death trap for any non-jumping class, everything is cramped and on the low ground compared to rest of the mid. There is no good angle to take fights with anyone on the A side of mid unless you have some sort of a mobility ability, it doesn't help the only direct entry to this side is a small doorway that can be easily camped from the point and the platforms above. This is just not a fun area to play in. Rotating between different height levels doesn't feel very good or natural, a lot of it just blocks, which probably gives impression of it being rather hastily made. Both sides of mid could benefit vastly from being made using displacements.

DD17E2914362CAE0C0B981146073B87B7593B032

A side has a lot of same issues as B side, cramped to the point of being nightmare to navigate efficently with all the height difference crammed into such small space, only entry ways are small and easily spammed. Getting onto the point itself is also extremely awkward with a lack of proper paths onto it.

LOBBIES

44AF5AB2454176A22BDE402379F469F405ABD615

These lobbies are so small and cramped, calling them lobbies is generous, all of this space feels more like corridors that are supposed to connect areas rather than area either team is supposed to stage an attack from. If you look at a lot of other lobbies on different types of maps, they are generally rather large playspaces themselves, they should not in most scenarios look like a corridor.

LAST

8A176A1AA31BFF86E5956A46F8E5D41620D3BEDE

This is outright the worst part of the map and I would personally just go straight back to the drawing board with this one, everything is so flat and open, whole area feels like it has been crammed into this small square. Every entrance leads to the same yard in front of the point, it doesn't matter what route you take, it makes no difference on how you approach the point. Spawns are easily visible and in the same area, resulting in extreme spawn camping as soon as the attacking team gets any foothold in this area. Little height difference there is doesn't feel like it meaningfully impacts any gameplay because it is all universally the same height and it is not a very major height difference at that.

When you look at this area, try to picture how you would play it as each class, what sort of different approaches you would take to take on the objective as attacker or defender. Hard as I look, the most interesting thing I can think of is rocket jumping on top of the roof, but there are only two classes that can do that. You could apply a lot of this thinking into the rest of the map as well, I think there should be pros and cons to every route and approach to an objective you make on your map, it gives areas purpose and players options. When playing it in the test, a lot of the map felt like it just existed for sake of it, all the routes and height there is existed just to fill a quota, if that makes sense. In the test, I was stuck in this cycle of spawning and mindlessly pushing forward until we maybe captured mid or captured last, over and over, playing no different than my last life.

Lacry

Feb 25, 2019
Changelog
-CP B almost done from scratch
-Added more routes to CP C
-Made the heights more natural
-Now the water is deeper
-Made the skybox higher
-Added cubemaps (properly) + soundscapes
-Made the spawn bigger​

Lacry

Feb 25, 2019
Changelog
-Added displacements
-Added some textures
-Balcony near spawn now has stairs from outside, and the windows is smaller
-Added some minor details​

Lacry

Feb 25, 2019
Changelog
-Reduced time on mid points
-Deleted time on match (it never reached stalemate anyways)
-Changed the points hologram
-Added a handrail in last point to make it harder to reach
-Fixed a sighline near spawn
-Added playerclips in most of the roofs
-Changed some textures
-Removed the buildiing in CP B​

Lacry

Feb 25, 2019
Changelog
-Added blocked holograms for CP C
-Deleted func_nobuild around the tree
-Added a new small route to CP A
-Made the Greenhouse taller, so its more obvius you cant get on top
-Redesigned CP B from scratch (again)
-Added blockbullets in the roof (now you cant cheat MegapiemanPHD)
-Added time back​

Lacry

Feb 25, 2019
Changelog
-Fixed jumppad collisions, and made the entrace a bit bigger
-Replaced some healthkits and ammopacks with smaller ones
-Improved healthkits and ammopacks patches​

Lacry

Feb 25, 2019
Changelog
-Fixed a leak in the map (surprsingly, nobody noticed it)
-Fixed the nobuild near the jump pad
-Added blockbullets in the fences near the pond
-Reduced the respawn time(?)
-Converted the pile of leaves to displacement​

Lacry

Feb 25, 2019
Changelog
-Jump Pad force have been reduced
-The tree doesnt look from N64 anymore
-Added playerclip in the roof of CP C
-Reduced the cap time for CP C
-Added some minor details​

Lacry

Feb 25, 2019

Lacry

Feb 25, 2019

Lacry

Feb 25, 2019

Lacry

Feb 25, 2019

Lacry

Feb 25, 2019
Lacry updated Maple Falls with a new update entry:

Some mistakes, but less annoying

Changelog
-Added new icons for the HUD​
-Just minor changes, mostly just quality of life improvements​

Based on the feedback I got, it seems C is the biggest issue right now, some people say it's too hard to capture and others say it's too hard too defend, and I'm starting to think is mostly because the gamemode rather than the map itself.

If someone has any suggestions to this isue let me know, the map has been stuck like this for a lot of time by now.

Lacry

Feb 25, 2019

Lacry

Feb 25, 2019