1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

map crashes on open

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Kill_the_Bug, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Kill_the_Bug

aa Kill_the_Bug

Positive Ratings:
    Hi I'm getting this message and then hammer crashes - is there anyway to fix it?

[​IMG]

2. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    It seems your VMF is corrupt or incomplete. You'll have to load an older (or auto) save that works.

3. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    The .vmx file in your mapsrc folder is a .vmf but renamed. Rename it to .vmf and see if it works

4. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Did you put a quote mark into a field in Hammer? That will break the VMF structure. Line 23 is really early so it should be easy to find if you open it in notepad.

5. Kill_the_Bug

aa Kill_the_Bug

Positive Ratings:
    I'll look into that line 23 file thing on the original file - would rather work with the original if I can save it. Although I'm not entirel sure what you mean by this as I've opened it in notepad and it's really short a few lines only - am I opening it wrong?

In the meantime, I ended up decompiling a test render so it takes me back a bit (fortunately not that far back) - but not as far back as a complete restart - now I have to figure out how much damage I've done to myself with the de-comped one - still might be easier to start from the begining.

6. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    I guess I missed that the error was saying end of file. Disregard what I said about fixing. You'll have to deal with your decompile or do what one of them said about finding a previous save.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Kill_the_Bug

aa Kill_the_Bug

Positive Ratings:
    Ok, pulled a backup vmx file that I had (forgot I did an auto back up of disc) changed it to .vmf and now have the original file back in working order.

THANKS FOR THE HELP!