Making Irregular Staircases the Easy Way

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Resources' started by KubeKing, Aug 26, 2016.

1. KubeKing

Server Staff KubeKing dan's birthday was fun too

Positive Ratings:
    Staircases in Hammer: they're hard. Let's learn how to make some tricky tricky staircases, k?

This tip will work with any staircase dimensions.

(Disclaimer: This is for irregular staircase dimensions. It is recommended that you use regular dimensions for all your staircase needs, but this is a catch-all way to handle things.)

Step 1)

Make a slope in the dimensions that you want your staircase to have.

[​IMG]

Step 2)

Using the Clipping tool, in the top-down view, cut your slope into pieces as so.

[​IMG]

Step 3)

Flip each piece vertically and separately using ctrl+I. It is recommended that you use a 2D side view to select each piece. Shift staircase into place as necessary.

[​IMG]

Step 4)

Celebrate! Don't forget to clip your creation using blockbullets. You can also add fancy side slopes. Most times you should func_detail the entire staircase.

Make sure to get rid of those annoying bottom slopes. One way to do this is to create a new brush for each staircase, at the height of the old brush. Remember that new brushes created in the top-down view will retain the height of anything you have selected while making the brush.

[​IMG]

Players will be stepping all over your creations in no time!

Edit)

Here's an alternative (better) way to cut the bottom of your stairs:

[​IMG]

Thank you @DrLambda for the illustration. Thank you @Crash and @Crowbar for clearing up some confusion. @Crowbar's second comment below discusses the difference in faces between different staircase geometry methods.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  2. DrLambda

aa DrLambda L69: Teeheehee, Member

Positive Ratings:
    In terms of optimization: You should really nodraw the brush faces that wont be visible after compile.

Also, i heard that you're supposed to use a big triangle under the stairs to fix visleafs/lightmaps etc, at least when it has brushes on both sides. Thinking about it, i'm not 100% if it matters (because the compiler will cull the invisible faces not used, and vis calculation shouldn't be any different) but i've always done it this way:

stairs01.PNG

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    Would never have thought.

4. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    About the triangle brush:
    upload_2016-8-26_11-59-43.png
    Left is n+1 tris, right is 2n tris.

upload_2016-8-26_12-1-0.png
    Left is 1 face, right is n faces.

If the stairs are big, you can use the triangle brush as a worldbrush so it cuts vis and participiates in visibility calculations.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. KubeKing

Server Staff KubeKing dan's birthday was fun too

Positive Ratings:
    I added an edit to address these issues. Thank you very much!

6. MaccyF

aa MaccyF Notoriously Unreliable

Positive Ratings:
    To clarify a little, func_details' non visible faces aren't culled by the compiler, so you will likely get lighting artifacts.

7. DrLambda

aa DrLambda L69: Teeheehee, Member

Positive Ratings:
    I thought it would cull non-visible faces between func_details (or within a multi-brush func_detail) but not between func_detail and world? Sorry if i described it unclearly.