Make Pumpkin_loot.mdl not emit particles?

sharktemplar

L1: Registered
Feb 26, 2018
I would like to use the pumpkin_loot.mdl as a detail prop. It only supports being loaded as a prop_dynamic model (and also a prop_physics_override which I tried out of curiosity) but the model still gives off the particle effects of real in-game pumpkin loot dropped by dead players during halloween.
Does anyone know if there's a nifty trick I don't know of that would allow me to have the pumpkin_loot model in my map without it giving off the particle effects that are clearly tied to the model itself?

Thanks.

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
You should be able to decompile the model, have a fiddle, then recompile it as a new model to use (maybe pumpkin_loot_noparticles.mdl). Then it won't mess with the original model and you can share it if someone has a similar problem.

You can use the program Crowbar to decompile models.

sharktemplar

Feb 26, 2018
You should be able to decompile the model, have a fiddle, then recompile it as a new model to use
And how exactly would I "have a fiddle" with the model in Crowbar? Decompiled it into a .qc fine enough, but am I able to actually alter data about said .qc file through Crowbar too?

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
And how exactly would I "have a fiddle" with the model in Crowbar? Decompiled it into a .qc fine enough, but am I able to actually alter data about said .qc file through Crowbar too?
QC is a plain text format

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
At this point you will have to read the documentation on the QC file format. It might be text, but it does have rules to follow.

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
You open the QC file with notepad or another text editor. I had a look myself at what's inside, and found this at the bottom:

Code:
$KeyValues
{
   particles
   {
     "effect"
     {
       "name" "pumpkin_sparkle"
       "attachment_type" "follow_origin"
       "attachment_point" "pumpkin"
     }
   }
}

That section is what causes the particles to load and get attached to the model. You can safely delete these and the particle won't be on the model anymore.

Before you recompile, I'd recommend changing the name of the model to be different from the original and avoid conflicts. So let's say you change this line at the top of the document:

Code:
$modelname "props_halloween\pumpkin_loot.mdl"

to

Code:
$modelname "props_halloween\pumpkin_loot_noparticles.mdl"

Then it'll recompile the model as that name, and won't conflict with the old one.

sharktemplar

Feb 26, 2018
You open the QC file with notepad or another text editor. I had a look myself at what's inside, and found this at the bottom:

Code:
$KeyValues
{
   particles
   {
     "effect"
     {
       "name" "pumpkin_sparkle"
       "attachment_type" "follow_origin"
       "attachment_point" "pumpkin"
     }
   }
}

That section is what causes the particles to load and get attached to the model. You can safely delete these and the particle won't be on the model anymore.

Before you recompile, I'd recommend changing the name of the model to be different from the original and avoid conflicts. So let's say you change this line at the top of the document:

Code:

to

Code:
$modelname "props_halloween\pumpkin_loot_noparticles.mdl"

Then it'll recompile the model as that name, and won't conflict with the old one.
Well then I must have done something wrong, because all that's inside the .qc file I received from crowbar (after decompiling just the .mdl file) was
Code:
// Created by Crowbar 0.55

VEssex

L2: Junior Member
May 19, 2016
I quickly made a detail compatible model with the particle effects removed, attached to the post. The model is "loot_pumpkin_detail". Please do tell if there are problems.

Attachments

• lootpumpkindetail.zip
    159 KB · Views: 156

sharktemplar

Feb 26, 2018
I quickly made a detail compatible model with the particle effects removed, attached to the post. The model is "loot_pumpkin_detail". Please do tell if there are problems.
Thank you very much for this, however it seems that the materials are broken and project missing on the model. vpk in custom, necessary models and materials folders pasted into the tf directory. Have I forgotten something or is this non-functional?

VEssex

L2: Junior Member
May 19, 2016
The content in the folder and the .vpk are the same. Following up, I also should've fixed the missing material error in this attachment.

Attachments

• lootpumpkindetail.zip
    159 KB · Views: 158

sharktemplar

Feb 26, 2018
The content in the folder and the .vpk are the same. Following up, I also should've fixed the missing material error in this attachment.
Yeah that's what I suspected, but in case I was wrong I moved the vpk into custom to see if it would resolve the materials problem which it didn't.
This new version however works fine. Thank you very much, and if you haven't already please upload this to the resources folder. Micnax is right. I doubt I'll ever be the only one who wants this model for detail/scenery mapping purposes.
Many thanks.
Edit: Though, now the materials fail to show properly in-game even though they show just fine in hammer. This doesn't have anything to do with the vmt, does it?

Last edited: