Major Contest #3 Final Voting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 12, 2008
Okay here's my opinion on the maps. Note that this is MY opinion, and MY votes, so if you don't like it, don't read it. I'm just trying to be helpful. I'm mainly talking at the map autors, as you might notice. I'll keep updating this post when time goes on. I hope I have enough space/time though.
Also, my excuses for my english. I'm trying to do my best.

----

CTF_VECTOR_C3

Gameflow 4

Oh yes! It's Vector... I really like how this map plays. Enough sideroutes, lots of cover, space for counter-attacks, ... I believe you perfectly succeeded in making this map with a new and challanging gamemode. As uninterested as I was (sorry) when you started this map with it's 137 alpha's, as much do I love playing it now. Only a few remarks, not that they're bad, or negative, no... Just... Remarkable. Your ammo placement is fine, but whoa boy, WHAT did you do with the health? It's everywhere!
4104996103_4df21e75c7.jpg

[SCREENSHOT] Note, these are just nitpicks, I just couldn't give you a 5 eh? You're getting a 4 out of 5 for this.

Balancing 4

Whichever side I choose to play on, RED or BLU, fun is guaranteed. Although the layout seems simple, I can feel it's not.
4105763150_9d28398082.jpg

[SCREENSHOT] You did a great job on this one. When I play some custom maps, I sometimes get the feeling to quit the game because my team just gets raped. Not the case with this map! When BLU captures the first CP, everything nicely flows to the second point. No struggling to 'recapture' the CP when the defending team has pushed the attackers back, no. In this map it's clear. Attackers attack and defenders defend. 4 out of 5.

Optimizing 5

Well... What can I say? No problems on my side! This map is (or at least, feels) optimized! Full stop. 5 out of 5!

Detailing 5

Ah... I've been wanting to write this. This map looks... To say it in my honest opinion, gorgeous. I. Love. It. Seriously, you must've really outdone yourself. To start with BLU's spawn. It's full of those "Never-seen-before-details"; The train room under the window, the walls, that one corridor with all the "private"-doors. In some maps, like my own maybe, you can find nice detailing, but nothing new, just edited details from other maps so that they'd fit within the new map. Your map is different (on most places). I can't stop looking at it. But yeah... You're starting to know me.. The critiques! Some buildings look a tad too known, like the big building in stage two with the CP inside. Isn't that... Hydro?
Nonetheless, you did a fantastic job on detailing this map; 5 out of 5. Now I need to go find a bucket and a mop to clean this mess around my computer. *need to stop drooling*

Style 3

Yeah, I know, it's not much, the map looks pretty, but... We've already met that theme before! It's just hydro, all over again. If this map had that ONE thing, that little thing that makes it stand out, it'd have been perfect. Luckily (for the other contestants, at least), I've yet to meet a perfect map. "DURRR", you'll say now. This one's only in it's second beta yet! 135 To go!
Okay, now seriously, 3 out of 5 for style.

----

Icarus, mate.. You did a wonderful job on this map. Believe me, I can't wait to see a map with that one thing different though! Keep it up, and good luck with the results!

----

CTF_HAARP_B2

Gameflow 4

Aha. H.A.A.R.P.. I like playing this map. No wait.. I love it. From in the beginning of a game of HAARP it's clear what you have to do. Bringing the damn intel to the control points. And yes! That's fun. Your map is straightforward, not too complicated, basically, the layout you can expect from a stock map made by VALVE. 4 out of 5.

Balancing 3

I dunno, sorry for the lower score, but... This map feels like it's built in favour of red. Too much if you ask me. You might want to take a look at some of the routes between the CP's. Sometimes it feels like you have to capture those mini-controlpoints in the corridors between two main CP's. If there's a defending engineer, heavy and/or medic (as an example), you're lost. Because of that, I've only seen the second and last stage once or twice. I think that is sad, because I really like those.. Keep working on it! 3 out of 5.

Optimizing 5

This map's optimized. No problems for me. I like what you did with the 3D-skybox, very inovative! No overload of snow, that's good, good use of optimization techniques. Yup, yup; 5 out of 5.

Detailing 5

I fell in love with this map. Seriously. It's incredible what you've done with the props, brushwork, mechanics, displacements... It feels so real. It fits the whole TF2-idea so well! One of my favourite things you've accomplished are the "Buildings-in-Caves".
4106003205_4e2ceb2c31.jpg

[SCREENSHOT] I'm in a cave, so yes, it's dark. But you gave mapping for TF2 an other dimension with this map. It's dusty, gray-ish, realistic, ... Your map is full of things I've never seen before. Huzzah, 5 out of 5. Well done!

Style 5

Yes, it's incredible. The snow, the industrial feeling you gave it all, ... Wonderful. I think you did a fantastic job on giving this map a unique touch. Sometimes, it's even dared, like the last point in stage 3. 5 out of 5, definately! Woop Woop!

----

Doktor Spud, Nice map you made here! The looks are just astonishing, and the gameplay is nice. Keep it up, finish this map, and start to think what kind of community weapon you want! Good luck.

----

PLR_PANIC_B1

Gameflow 4

Rav, ma boi... This is a cool map. I like how this is not just an other "Let's Push the Kart and we'll see where we get"-map. No, this one's different. This is a map whre you really have to think of what you're going to do. Will I defend, or will I run towards the enemy with an axe swinging above my head? I like how you tried (and well, succeeded) to make your gameplay different from the stereotype "PLR". The carts starting on the ramps and the explosives on the walls in stage two are a nice addition ofcourse.
There seems to be a little too few ammo and health, but that's what beta's are for. An other negative thing is the gameplay in the last stage. It's just not cool to see your cart going down while you can't do anything about it. Still a very good flow in the rest of the map. 4 out of 5 on gameflow.

Balancing 4

I don't find it easy judging a symmetrical map on balancing, but i'll try. Your map has something different and special, though. I haven't played a lot of maps where both teams had even chances, and held those throughout the whole map. A team can still win the game, even when the other one has it's cart on a few meters from the end. As I said before though, I dislike the system in the last stage, but yeah... I do believe you did a great job on implementing timers to prevent endless battles. Good job, 4 out of 5.

Optimization 5

Nicely done! Framerates are good for me! Luckily a LOT better than an earlier version of Panic I played... Had about 20 FPS then. Main optimization work must've been done I guess, 5 out of 5! [What else could I say? You're my teacher!!]
Aahh you thought I was done yet eh? Wrong! Have a good look at your props. Fade distances and solid-ness please! (Tip; console).

Detailing 4

Ah yes, Panic. The swampy map with the cloudy sky. Yet an other Let-the-jaw-drop-map. I already loved what you did in the very first alpha (I like pretty alphas). I love what you did with the swamp stuff and the industrial content. You better keep mapping man! I love the originality in your detailing; the broken bridges, the mega subwoofer, ...
4106206243_d9e19edcfe.jpg

[SCREENSHOT] 4 out of 5, because sadly enough, not everything is looking as it should be (Mainly indoors). You did a great job on detailing this map none the less! Keep it up!

Style 5

This map's got style, definately! It's got the looks, the unique environment, the gameplay, ... This map's got all. Only a few tidbits; It feels a little to dark overal, mostly noticable in the second stage. But this map is one of the few that's got that one thing, that one unique touch. I LIKE it! 5 out of 5!

----

Ravidge, you did some epic work on this map. It's plays fantastic, it feels fantastic, and ofcourse, it's sounds BAD-ASS. Good luck with the final results.

----

PLR_ANIMUS_A8

Gameflow 2

Animus... The map of the souls. Maybe there are ghosts haunting this map. I don't know. I guess they know what happened with the good parts then? This map feels so cluttered, so messy, ..!! I don't know where to start.
4109288495_77d9b257cb.jpg

[SCREENSHOT]I played this map a lot (somehow it was played a lot on the servers, maybe other people liked it), and I must say, I didn't really enjoy it. I can feel however, you tried to change the tides, but it didn't turn out well... Ammo and health placement is okay, layout of the stages is not. Long walks confusing lighting, ... A mess. I'm sorry to say it like this, but I got to be honest. That's just the way I think of the map. 2 out of 5.

Balancing 3

The map is pretty balanced, although it's hard to say because we're talking about a old payl- uh.. a PLR map. The first stage starts decent (talking about gameplay here). Although the trive time is long, combat in the middle is fierce. But that's when it happens; the game locks up completely. Second stage is completely the opposite though. Once one team pushes through the middle, they're victorious. I'm not going to say much about the last stage, since that one just doesn't feel right at all. Way too much cover in the end, no way to stop the winning team when they got "outside" the building thing. 3 out of 5 for the trying.

Optimization 3

Optimation is decent. Although framerates in stage 1 are extremely low for an alpha. Might be due to the s.ize, or not. You also have some really odd lighting bugs and glitches, not sure if you're aware of that since there are so many. It should be your first priority to fix those. Also, I don't know if this falls within "optimization", but... Sew displacements, close holes, fix gaps between brushes and stuff, fix nodraw stuff, ... More info in the "Detailing" part.

Detailing 2

Ah, yes.. Detailing. That's making a map look pretty. There are several ways to do that: neat brushworks, nice displacements, good use of techniques, etc etc. You got the picture. Now most of the detailing in your map, has this. But one time it's an overload of useless particles, the other time it's detailing that doesn't make sense. I really don't understand why you tried to puzzle an entire stage with parts from an, in your own words, "incomplete and unfinished" PAYLOAD map. Another thing I dislike is the skybox texture. It doesn't fit TF2 and looks way too dark, although there's clearly a sun that's brightly shining.
4109291637_6b8454ea39.jpg

[SCREENSHOT] The overused particle effects in your map add to the messy feeling that's floating around your map. I don't even know what to say about the pumpkins, or the func_lods on places where they don't fit. Cool idea's and all, but this just isn't L4D or some other reallistic game. I guess that's enough, you'll have to do it with a 2 out of 5. Sorry.

Style 4

I'm gonna give you a 4 for style, because... Yeah, you did make something unique and refreshing non the less. It's just not "ghosty" enough to be special, just a heap of random creepy-related stuff. The start is there, now it's up to you to finish and rethink some things! Nicely made particle effects, but there is a time and place for those.

----

Fearlezz... What a map. The dish is okay but the sauce is horrible. It started all very promising, but you really messed it up near the end, didn't you? I'm rather dissapoint. The map's full of forgotten bugs. You really need to do something about it!! Good luck with the results.

----

CTF_PREMUDA_B1A

Gameflow 5

Yeaaahhh!! It's my premuda-baby! The most dared entry in the whole competition, no doubt. Wait, what! I wouldn't even think of doubting! I really like how this map plays. It's no big deal to learn the solid layout once you've played the map a few times, and I know maps that are more difficult to learn (eg. Steel, Dustbowl, ...). I actually like the small dispenser-addition on the intelligence too, it gives the map yet an other unique feature. By seeing thise kind of things, I can feel you've been thinking a lot throughout the whole production of this map. Some negative points though! The rain distracts a bit too much from the combat. Not that it's annoying itself, but when I got used to it, I started to ignore movements of other players as well. I think it's in too high contrast with the rest of the map: bright blue/white against orange/brown. None the less you did it again. 5 out of 5.

Balancing 4

Everytime I play this map, no matter what team I'm in, I'm always having a great time. First point is what the example point should be: easy to capture but challanging with a good defense. The second capture point though, feel a little too hard again! Second stage's a bit too easy again and the last point a tad too hard. Note that I'm just thinking in straight laines now. The map feels balanced, but could use a few tweaks and fixes. Good job, almost perfect. 4 out of 5.

Optimization 5

Optimized! Luckily! I'm not getting any odd framerates, so no problems on that side. You might want to take a look at sound optimizing, like making the annoucner's voice in the beginning of the map a bit quieter, getting rid of the thunder sounds, etc. Also, a protip; take a look at the console. Toppie! 5 out of 5.

Detailing 5

Visually stunning. I love what sick idea's you've implemented in this masterpiece. I have a huuuge respect for your skills and ideas. You told me once, 5 months or more ago, this is what it has to look like (yes, I do still remember those pictures), and now, it DOES look like it! You are one of the only contestants who dared it to try out a completely new theme. And it looks gorgeous. The subtle fishing nets and fences clearly beacon where the playable area ends. Your brushwork is impressive, the use of props is fantastic, and the theme is just sweet. Win - win - win. 5 out of 5.

Style 5

Man... I'm still astonished by what you've accomplished with this map. The creativity that's come allong with this map is immense, and proves of the dedication.
4113058106_348e67f323.jpg

[SCREENSHOT] It's not easy to smash out an entire new theme out of the ground, but you did it as if it was eating cake. Cake or no cake, you deserve a 5 out of 5 for style. Absolutely. Congratulations.

----

Eerie! What have you done! I think I can't hold it any lo-*smash*
The writer of this text has been brought to intensive care. The following sentence is purely based on speculations.
This map ROCKS!

----

CTF_SLATE_B1

Gameflow - 4
Balancing - 4
Optimizing - 5
Detail - 5
style - 3

----

CTF_PANAMINT_A17

Gameflow - 4
Balancing - 4
Optimizing - 5
Detail - 3
style - 2

----

CTF_SNOWDRIFT_B2

Gameflow - 4
Balancing - 3
Optimizing - 4
Detail - 4
style - 3

----

PLR_SCOVILLE_C2

Gameflow - 4
Balancing - 3
Optimizing - 2
Detail - 4
style - 5

----

PLR_SOLITUDE_B1

Gameflow - 4
Balancing - 4
Optimizing - 3
Detail - 4
style - 5

----

PLR_NIGHTFALL_C

Gameflow - 5
Balancing - 4
Optimizing - 4
Detail - 5
style - 4

----

PLR_HIGHWIND_A4

Gameflow - 4
Balancing - 3
Optimizing - 4
Detail - 3
style - 4

----

PLR_ROLLOUT_A1

Gameflow - 3
Balancing - 2
Optimizing - 5
Detail - 1
style - 2

----

PLR_ARCTIC_C

Gameflow - 4
Balancing - 3
Optimizing - 5
Detail - 2
style - 3

----

PLR_CORNFIELD_C1

lolwat?

----

Working on the rest, right now!

Last edited:

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
Slate
Category | Rating
Gameflow|3
Balance|3
Detailing|4
Optimization|5
Style|5
To put it bluntly I expected a bit more from you. That doesn't mean I don't like the entry though. It was very open, which I feel was, how should I put it, a daring move, but you made it work quite well without snipers dominating. However, even though I didn't play as engineer once, I noticed that the points are hard to defend with sentries because of the long sightlines, and this can lead to fast captures and quick rounds. From what I saw, only the last point area provides enough cover for sentries, and in fact the only times I saw red win the map was when they were defending the last point. I did get lost a couple of times and it's quite easy to to lose track of the flag but it's nothing major, overall the layout works very well. I also liked the custom models. Detailing looks great, however it seems to get a bit lazy near the end of the map. I didn't have any noticeable lag when playing this, well except for that problem caused by the rain, but it would be unfair to blame it on the map.

Animus
Category | Rating
Gameflow|1
Balance|3
Detailing|2
Optimization|4
Style|2
Ah, animus... When I first saw this I did expect something exceptional from it, however it really didn't turn out very well and it's mainly because you tried to turn an old payload map into a payload race. The main problem of the map is that virtually half of the map is useless. The carts start so far away from each other in the first two stages, that both teams are able to push the cart a long distance before the other team reaches it. And once you push the cart past the middle area, the other team is usually doomed. Don't even get me started on the last stage, It's over before I even notice anything and well, the winner is pretty much the team who has the most players pushing, because there's that big wall between the carts that prevents the other team from stopping your cart. The first stage also has MAJOR playerclipping issues, soldiers, demos and scouts can run on the rooves. There are some in the other stages too, but they're not worth mentioning in this short review. Visually, it looks kinda messy. The detailing looks mostly fine, but the crappiness (sorry) of the map distracts you from it. And the style, I don't even know what it's trying to be anymore. The whole soul theme of the carts doesn't make sense or work well or look good. If you had spent more time working on the layout rather than detail and particles, I'm sure the map would've been much better. Also, it hass all that z-fighting and those areaportal problems. I like the custom skybox though. I'm really sorry for having to write this bad review, because animus could have been something much much more if you had put more thought to it. It had so much potential, but sadly it didn't turn out so well.

HAARP
Category | Rating
Gameflow|5
Balance|4
Detailing|5
Optimization|5
Style|5
HAARP is easily my favorite of all the entries. I'm mostly good at giving critique so this will be a bit short but I'll just write something for the sake of it... Never got lost in the map, and if there are any signs I didn't notice them, and it's always a good sign (no pun intended) if the player doesn't have to consciously look at the signs to navigate the map... Detailing looks awesome. It fits tf2's style but unlike most custom maps, doesn't look like the details were copypasted from valve maps. When you decided to use the snow theme, I... Well, you know how I felt about that, but it turned out just fine. I had to give you a 4 on balance though, because I feel that the red team is just a bit OP.

Highwind
Category | Rating
Gameflow|2
Balance|4
Detailing|3
Optimization|5
Style|3
First I'd like to comment on the visual style, and I guess I like it. You somehow managed to make the spytech wall texture work pretty well in exterior walls, and I like the custom roof textures... But i don't know if it really fits tf2 that well, and overall it's kinda lacking detail. And the ground texture is a bit too saturated. Okay, now let's talk about the gameplay. The building in the middle is really choky and camp friendly, because it's lacking alternate routes. Sure, there's the underground area, but when the carts are in the middle which they usually are, it's useless, because it only takes you from red's cp to blue's cp. It mainly worked as an area to buld sentries and annoy the other team. I lost my notes for this map and don't know what else to say, but if I remember anything important, I'll add it.

Bayou
Category | Rating
Gameflow|2.5
Balance|4
Detailing|2
Optimization|3.5
Style|4
As much as I'd like to say that it's very good for a second map and all that, I won't, because that always sounds like something said out of pity. Overall bayou is very enjoyable. It's actually one of my favourite contest entries, I can't really say why, I guess it's the overall feeling of the map. However, as you know, it has its problems. The paths are a bit too complicated. An a/d map should always have one "main" path with side paths. In some maps, like badwater and my snowdrift this is especially noticeable, but all a/d maps work pretty much the same way. Bayou sometimes seems to have multiple "main paths". This combined with many height levels and sometimes unexpected flag spawning places makes it very confusing for new, and sometimes even old players. Balancing seems pretty good, I'm able to play this map with pretty much any class. The detailing... Is decent I guess, but I feel you could've done so much more with the geometry, and I'm not really into those thick walls. Some more props wouldn't hurt either... And speaking of props, you use a lot of then as part of the layout. While there's generally nothing wrong with that, it can look messy, which it sometimes does here. You should use brushes whenever possible. While my I don't have any noticeable fps drops (I often don't) there were places, like the tilted building, that clearly need optimization. As cool as it looks, source doesn't like that kind of stuff very much.

Vector
Category | Rating
Gameflow|5
Balance|5
Detailing|5
Optimization|5
Style|5
Vector, it's... The biggest reason why I never stood a chance in this contest, enough said. While it's not my favourite of the entries, I couldn't possibly give it any other score.

Panic
Category | Rating
Gameflow|5
Balance|4
Detailing|3.5
Optimization|5
Style|3
Panic used to be my fav plr map. Then you replaced the awesome second stage with a seemingly uninspired one. I would be lying If I said I didn't still like it though. It has a lot of cool ideas like the cart rolling down a ramp in the last stage. The detailing looks good, but the style is kinda meh, and the map is too dark.

Nightfall
Category | Rating
Gameflow|5
Balance|4
Detailing|4
Optimization|5
Style|5
I gave detailing a 4 because of the dev textures in stage 3, otherwise it would obviously be a 5. This along with sawmill is the only map where the rainy alpine theme really looks good. Plays very well, is never confusing and rarely stalemate-y. Dunno what else to say.

Solitude
Category | Rating
Gameflow|4
Balance|4
Detailing|4
Optimization|5
Style|5
Solitude is currently my favourite plr map, mainly because of its fresh ideas. I love how you have separate paths for attacking and defending, and how the cart goes different way depending on how many rounds you won. While it seems very risky to separate the map into 4 areas, (blu attack, b defend, r attack, r defend) it works really well. However stage 3 felt a bit weak so only 4 for gameflow. Details look good, they're nothing groundbreaking but fit tf2's style nicely. Also, I like how the teams actually have a goal here, to destroy the enemy submarine, instead of just pushing the carts into a pit for no reason or something.

Last edited:

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
CTF

Bayou

Category | Rating
Gameflow|2
Balance|2
Detailing|3
Optimization|3
Style|2

This map lacks the qualities that I would normally associate with a great map. First of all, the layout is rather confusing not because of a lack of signs but because there are too many visual elements which, instead of aiding the players navigiation, add noise to the level and hinders each player's ability to easily find their way around the map. Secondly, the detailing is neither here or there. Some parts look great whilst other parts remain undetailed and some common mapping mistakes are made such as light models with shadows still enabled causing blocky shadows above themselves and bad texture alignment abound. Overall, it's not bad for one of the first few maps from this author and I hope they can learn from other more well-established maps and understand what makes them so popular and renowned.

HAARP

Category | Rating
Gameflow|4
Balance|4
Detailing|5
Optimization|5
Style|5

This map is an all-round excellent piece of work. There is no doubt in my mind that this is one of the best looking maps out of the competition as Spud has perfectly captured an isolated mountain base. Overall, the layout is great apart from what I believe is a very difficult last stage due to it's rather angular nature. Not much can be faulted with this map.

Panamint

Category | Rating
Gameflow|4
Balance|4
Detailing|1
Optimization|5
Style|2

Panamint is by far the map I've played most from this competition. It plays great and I have no qualms whatsoever about the gameplay side of things. Of course the map is mostly undetailed and the parts that are detailed are underwhelming. I can feel a certain Goldrush vibe throughout the entire map and - to be fair - I've seen several Goldrush-esque maps so I can't give any more marks for style. Solid gameplay but it needs some more kapow in the visuals department.

Premuda

Category | Rating
Gameflow|4
Balance|3
Detailing|3
Optimization|5
Style|5

This is definitely a pretty map with an original theme but I can't help but feel that some parts of it look rather odd such as grass detail sprites being shown despite there being no visible grass on the ground. The whole map seems far too noisy for my liking and only makes it harder for me to find my way around the level.

Slate

Category | Rating
Gameflow|5
Balance|4
Detailing|5
Optimization|5
Style|4

Slate for me it's a quite modest map which doesn't try to be showy and because of this it's a map that's very easy to get to grips with quickly. It has that simple elegance to it that I really love and the gameplay is excellent. A really solid entry.

Snowdrift

Category | Rating
Gameflow|5
Balance|3
Detailing|3
Optimization|5
Style|4

Much like Slate this has a visual style that's nice and clean. The gameplay is solid up until the last point as the final area seems far too small and makes it very difficult to cap the intel.

Vector

Category | Rating
Gameflow|5
Balance|4
Detailing|5
Optimization|5
Style|3

A great map which emulates the Hydro theme brilliantly and the gradual change from metal shacks to the spytech base is pulled off incredibly well.

PLR

Animus

Category | Rating
Gameflow|1
Balance|4
Detailing|2
Optimization|5
Style|1

Animus isn't a great map. The theme doesn't fit TF2 whatsoever and parts of the map make no logical sense. It doesn't look nice and it doesn't play particularly well either.

Arctic - Not Played

Category | Rating
Gameflow|N
Balance|N
Detailing|N
Optimization|N
Style|N

Cornfield

Category | Rating
Gameflow|4
Balance|5
Detailing|3
Optimization|5
Style|3

A map I really enjoy and the last stage is detailed really well.

Highwind

Category | Rating
Gameflow|2
Balance|5
Detailing|3
Optimization|5
Style|5

An original theme makes this map stand out and it fits TF2 perfectly. My only qualm with this map is the fact that the carts recede. This more often then not leads the game into a never-ending deathmatch.

Nightfall - Cannot Vote

Category | Rating
Gameflow|N
Balance|N
Detailing|N
Optimization|N
Style|N

Panic

Category | Rating
Gameflow|4
Balance|5
Detailing|4
Optimization|5
Style|5

A great map. That is all. :)

Rollout - Not Played

Category | Rating
Gameflow|N
Balance|N
Detailing|N
Optimization|N
Style|N

Scoville

Category | Rating
Gameflow|3
Balance|3
Detailing|4
Optimization|1
Style|5

I really like the style and detailing in this map but there are some areas which bring the map down such as optimisation which is clearly a problem because there simply isn't any which makes the map unplayable for a lot of players. The one thing I particularly dislike is how far the enemy cart ends up away from your team's spawn when it's inside your own base. It makes it impossible to catch up to for anybody other then Scouts. Also Stage 3 has incredibly slow carts which unneccesarily draws out the round turning it into team deathmatch..

Solitude

Category | Rating
Gameflow|4
Balance|4
Detailing|4
Optimization|5
Style|4

A really solid map though I think the last stage is a bit odd in the way that the 2 carts split up and move away from each other as once one of the carts reaches this part of the track it's game over for the other team.

Last edited:

Timberjaw

L2: Junior Member
Nov 6, 2009
| Flow | Balance | Detail | Optimization | Style
Animus|3|5|3|5|4
Arctic|4|4|3|5|3
Bayou|2|2|4|3|4
Cornfield|3|5|3|4|3
HAARP|4|4|5|5|5
Highwind|5|4|4|5|5
Panic|3|3|5|4|5
Premuda|3|2|4|3|5
Slate|4|4|5|5|4
Snowdrift|2|2|4|5|3
Solitude|3|4|4|5|2
Vector|4|4|5|5|4

Thoughts:

I'm not going to write up detailed reviews of each map (I'm a newbie mapper and most of my impressions are fairly general). My favorites are Highwind, HAARP, and Panic, but there were a lot of strong entries and a lot of promising entries still in their early stages of development. In general I enjoyed the maps that did something interesting (even if the execution wasn't perfect or didn't mesh with my playing sensibilities) far more than maps exhibiting technical competence but little character. Panic's rollercoaster carts, Premuda's health-granting intel, Highwind's unique visual style, and Bayou's quirky and complex layout stand out in my mind.

Arctic: Like the layout. Map crashes are annoying. Looking forward to seeing it with more detail and less dev texturing (all in due time).

Bayou: Like the style overall. Layout seems excessively sprawling and complex.

HAARP: Love the style and layout, lots of fun with a variety of player counts. Defense is very difficult but that's to be expected without a full server.

Highwind: One of my favorites from this contest. Love the style, layout is good, cart mechanic is interesting and works well. No real complaints about this map; I'm probably going to put it in rotation on my server.

Panic: Rollercoaster carts are awesome, exploding walls are cool, immediate rollback on the last stage is panic-inducing in a good way. Great map. I'd like to see some friendlier colors to fit the TF2 style, but the fun factor is definitely way up there.

Premuda: Fun map, interesting visuals. Not convinced the health bonus on the intel is a good idea but I'd have to play the map more to make my mind up on that. Layout in some areas can be a little confusing; it's a very visually dense map.

Solitude: I like the layout for the most part, but the visual style was a major turnoff for me. Very drab and depressing. I'm guessing that was intentional given the name, but it made me not want to play the map.

Lord Ned

L420: High Member
Feb 11, 2008
| Flow | Balance | Detail | Optimization | Style | Comments
Animus|F|B|D|O|S
Arctic|4|3|2|4|3|Very crash prone. Won't make it onto real servers with this happening. Some long sightlines across the middle. Not a ton of room for some shorter-ranged classes. Undetailed in a lot of locations. Has potential but some gameplay needs to be fixed first. Fighting seems spread out and unconcentrated. Setup times are kinda long. Doesn't really strike me as a TF2 Map. Not sure why. Couple places where sentries are OP. Easy to get spawncamped on the second page. Couple more issues like this.
Bayou|2|3|3|2|3|While it's playable, this map has a bit to go. Confusing signage, easy to get lost and so on. The map doesn't quite flow with it. Most classes seem equally balanced though, but when people are getting stuck in corners it lets some take advantage. Map is riddled with low fps, confusing looking detail, etc. It's fun to attack on and okay to defend on even with these flaws. I look forward to playing it after it's had some more revisions. Seems like a neat use of the swamp stuff.
Cornfield|F|B|D|O|S
HAARP|4|4|5|4|4|Well polished and a good experience all around. I CBA to repeat others.
Highwind|3|3|4|4|5|Wow. Definitely an original one that sticks out. It doesn't stick to traditional TF2 style either visually or gameplay wise. I think the style works and fits in so that's why it gets a five. However this map has some flaws. There's some invisible wall blockades. All of the gameplay is forced towards the center of the map into a single room. There's two small entrances to this other than the main but they barely help. The sewers are practically useless. BLU doesn't ever seem to win, and they weren't getting rewarded with points. Fix these gameplay issues and you'll have a decent map.
Nightfall|F|B|D|O|S
Panamint|2|3|2|3|2| Ugh. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Spent several rounds where we spent more time in overtime with the flag then in the round. Very hard for red to be attackers in that situation. Very hard to cap sometimes, very easy to others. Undetailed for most of it, bad implementation of desert. Weh.
Panic|4|3|3|4|4|Some of the detailing is a little bland in places. Doesn't seem like there's always room for some of the classes -- Saw very few heavies on my playthroughs. Some places seem underdetailed compared to the rest. Not a huge fan of the brown/muddy lighting. Pretty cool on style. Explosions definently fit in with TF2. :) -- Optimization is good mostly there's a couple parts where I dip down to 80 fps on my 4870 when I get 120 on most. The dark/damp lighting is probably the biggest turnoff here.
Premuda|4|3|4|3|4|A decent map. A little strong on the yellow color, and slightly confusing at the time. Detail was decent though lacking in some areas. Gameplay was hurt by the amount of demomen and pyro that were swarming everywhere. Little room for some of the classes, a lot of room for the corner-classes. Too many turns promoted Demo/Pyro too much.
Rollout|F|B|D|O|S
Scoville|4|4|2|1|3|While it tries to fit in with the bigger maps, this one simply doesn't have enough work put into it. With some work and some modifications it will make a good map, but right now it's not quite on par with the rest. Level flows pretty well between the areas, and each class has a place. Optimization is a big thumbs down. Detail: It's trying to fit in but... Not quite seeing it happen.
Slate|F|B|D|O|S
Snowdrift|F|B|D|O|S
Solitude|4|3|3|3|3| Stages kept locking up over dual-sentry enplacements. Didn't seem to encourage teamwork. Detailing felt very un-cannon. Didn't have a great playing experience overall.
Vector|5|4|4|4|4|A good map for that. Pushing through ~30-40 alphas, it's well balanced and well detailed. I think it's a good take on the A/D CTF, and encouraged many others to try it after it's initial success.

Will do the rest when I finish playing. :)

Last edited:

Locutus

Nov 3, 2009
Placeholder post. I'll be editing this a bunch of times, gonna go work on this right now. :D

A/D CTF Maps: | Gameflow | Balance | Detaling | Optimizing | Style | Comments
ctf_vector:| 2 | 4 | 5 | 5 | 4 | A really nice map, I found myself looking around rather than wanting to play this one. Everything in this map is up to par with your previous maps (and even Valve maps) but I noticed that the flow tends to get a bit muddled up towards the final stage. I found that having the flag spawn in the same spot for the first two stages was consistent and felt natural, but when the third stage came around it really had me confused as to where the hell my flag went. Overall I like this, it shows just what you can do when you put your mind to it.
ctf_harrp:| 3 | 3 | 3 | 5 | 4 | An interesting map to say the least. I noticed that you used the same snow texture throughout the map, including the skybox, so it was hard for me to see where the edge was on cliffs such as near blu spawn on stage 3. I realized that the layout is really confusing compared to most maps when I found myself at the second point on stage 2 without having capped the first yet. Overall the layout is confusing, so it could use some more signs or something, and the detailing is really shoddy compared to your standard valve map.
ctf_bayou: Played | N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A | Comments
ctf_snowdrift: Played | N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A | Comments
ctf_slate: | 1 | 2 | 4 | 3 | 3 | A very fast paced map, that requires way too many engineers to defend. I noticed that there took at least 3 or 4 engineers to even slow down blu in the first two stages. Then when it comes to stage 3, the second CP is almost impossible to cap as blu, even if there's only one red engineer. The flow is sporadic, and the gameplay starts off fast and ends terribly. But it looks very nice compared to most other contest maps, and you put quite a bit of work detailing it.
ctf_panamint:| 5 | 4 | 3 | 4 | 4 | This map flows very well and it feels almost natural to be playing this gamemode here. This map became pretty much the standard to which I compare other CTF A/D maps to, and I think you ought to feel good about that. It isn't quite as detailed as some other contest maps right now, but it could easily become one of my favorite maps.
ctf_premuda: Played | N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A | Comments
PLR Maps: | Gameflow | Balance | Detaling | Optimization | Style | Comments
plr_scoville:| 3 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 4 | I found this map very interesting. It seems to take a leap forward in technology compared to what you'd see in your standard TF2 map, and I don't really hate that. Really good detailing on the areas that have been completed, but I'd like to see more props in stage 2 and cut down on the line of sight for stage 3.
plr_solitude:| 4 | 5 | 4 | 5 | 4 | A very cool PLR map to say the least. Gameplay is fast but not to the point where either team can really steamroll with any ease. Very well balanced and it looks pretty darn good to boot. I really like this map and I'd like to see it progress into a final form.
plr_animus:| 1 | 2 | 3 | 2 | 1 | There are quite a few things wrong with this map. The lighting is horrid, giving off terrible shadows that go in multiple directions. The gameplay is really messed up as well as the timings, I noticed that the first time we played this that my team literally steamrolled the other team and it was really sad how easy it was. The only stage that even works somewhat is stage 2, where we pretty much end up stalemating anyways.
plr_nightfall: Played | N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A | Comments
plr_rollout: Played | N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A | Comments
plr_cornfield:| 3 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 2 | Very interesting take on the whole PLR style of map. I like the overall layout and gameplay, and the custom effects for the final stage are pretty darn cool.
plr_panic: Played | N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A | Comments
plr_artic:| 4 | 3 | 2 | 4 | 3 | This map flows fairly well and I haven't encountered any glitches on it. The problem is, although it's gameplay is nice it's really lacking detail and feels pretty empty. I noticed that the gameplay can be kind of fast, where almost always one team steamrolls the other. The game flows pretty much the same way that Pipeline does only without stalemates on stage 2.
plr_highwind:| 3 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 5 | This is probably one of the coolest looking maps out there right now. I really like the huge windmills and the underground area. The problem I had is that it's a single-stage PLR map, which breaks the standard that Valve set with their version of payload rush. In all honesty I think this would make a very good Arena or CTF style map. Maybe if you push the spawns back a bit it would even be a great KOTH map as well, but as it is the PLR gameplay seems incomplete and makes me wish there was more to it.

Last edited:

Okrag

Wall Staples
aa
Jun 10, 2009
| Flow | Balance | Detail | Optimization | Style | Comments
Animus|2|3|4|3|3|Pretty slow paced. Too much distance between carts starting points on stage 1 & 2.
Arctic|2|3|2|4|2|Too many ways to get into opportune spots in the enemy base. Track extends too far into enemy base on stage 2, slows gameplay.
Bayou|3|2|2|1|4|Not enough combat between points. First couple points are too easy for Blu. The slant house point is fiendishly difficult.
Cornfield|4|3|2|4|3|One of the better PLR maps. Flow is excellent on first 2 stages, good use of curved tracks to keep the map compact so that the cart is easily accessible without making the tracks too short. Final point is less successful, the reason this design worked in Pipeline is because the horizontal spawn meant all parts of the track we're easily accessible from the get-go with no down time. (This is a message to all PLR map creators, not just the creator of Cornfield specifically.)
HAARP|4|5|5|4|4|Definitely one of the best maps in the contest and one of my favorite custom maps period. Combat flows well from point to point. Good vertical elements in all stages.
Highwind|2|1|3|3|5|Excellent ideas went into this map, but the flow is poor when the cart gets into the base without actually being capped, it is also too easy to control the center. Also, Blu can't cap. Map looks very good and is extremely unique with its take on the gamemode.
Nightfall|5|3|4|3|4|A good map that uses curved tracks, vertical gameplay and shortcuts effectively. It is a shame it isn't played often.
Panamint|3|2|2|4|4|A good map with good vertical gameplay. 2-2 is very hard to cap, would help if it wasn't so enclosed.
Panic|4|3|4|4|5|Good map, Good use of curves. Last stage, while not perfect, relieves some of my frustration with the gametype by giving an alternative to cart v. cart combat.
Premuda|3|2|5|3|3|Good map with decent flow, tends to get hung up on 2-2. Looks beautiful.
Rollout|F|B|D|O|S|Haven't had the chance to play.
Scoville|4|3|2|2|3|Good map with decent use of curves, very poor FPS.
Slate|3|2|4|4|3|Pretty good. Attackers often have trouble with 2-2. 3-2 is useless because defenders often can't reach it before it caps. Last cap is very easy for attackers.
Snowdrift|3|2|3|4|4|Unique take on gameplay, focus on chokepoints between points instead of on them is a good concept, however, unless you have someone staying back from the fight and watching the point, scout caps will happen often.
Solitude|F|B|4|4|S|Pretty much my fault but I haven't had the chance to play offense on this map past the first point, which uses its X-shaped design and multiple spawn exits to keep players close to cart and point. Detailing is good.
Vector|5|4|4|4|3|Very good map, long bridge on last point feels like dead weight. Hard to stop scout once they are on the bridge unless you have someone on the point, which is unlikely considering how easy it is for Blu to snipe people on the point.

Westerhound

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 5, 2009
More to come when I get to play more!
| _ Flow _ | _ Balance _ | _ Detail _ | _ Optimization _ | _ Style _ | _ Comments _ Animus |2|2|1|3|2|What's this? Prolly the main question that was in my head while running from place to place in this map the first time. There is pumpkins, a bit spytech maybe, some industrial, waterfalls, voodoo effects and a bit redish lighting. It could be awesome if you focused on one thing, but throwing in 20 different styles into one map doesnt work. The distances of stage 1 are huge, which generally makes engis important, which I don't really like. I think you've started this map with an idea that failed, and then you've just been drifting around different ideas and now you've made this mess of different things that don't fit each other
Cornfield |4|4|2|5|5|Ain't played this that much but I like it. I don't really know what to say bout this as to me it's like an example how a map should be. It's good, but there are better maps out there (tho this is better 99% of the other maps ;)). The last stage is also the best 3rd stage in a plr map yet in my opinion. I also love the detailing of that stage, so this will probably look awesome when finished. Please note that I will hunt you down when it is finished if you wont tell me whats in the box.
HAARP |4|3|5|4|4|The map plays awesomely, and it looks awesome too. It's not too cramped (a bit close at 2-2 tho), nor too open at any point. It can clearly be seen that places like CP 3-3 is thought out by looks first, and then later adjusted to play properly. The details are nice too. Just a few complaints. Stuff like the computers at each CP feel weird to me. The detailing of each CP is fine but that damn computer screen with green text just feels so un-tf2-y to me that it's unbelievable. And those few computer screens are also the reason why I give you 4 in style instead of 5. Call me nit-picky, but it ruins the CPs for me.
Nightfall |4|3|3|4|4|The best alpine detailing I've seen. The third stage is still in dev tho. I'd like to give you 3.5 on detailin, but there are fully detailed maps with 4 so... The flow is good. the balance is another thing tho. I've never run into a tight battle at the first 2 stages. Kinda seems like that once one team has gone past maybe half or 3/4 of the track they win, unless the other team gets some surprising adventages like the best players joing them or leaving the other team. Ain't played the new 3rd stage more than once so wont start criticising that. The fps isn't the best either. Maybe you use the rain with collisions, I don't know but me fps is worse than on Valve maps here.
Panic |4|3|4|5|5|My favorite PLR evah! The balance isnt maybe as awesome as some other maps, but I've yet to see a really well playing PLR map anyway. The detailing is nice. I'm not really sure where this is trying to be (like where in the world) with the redish/orangeish environment and a few trees here and there, but it doesnt look bad, so points for that. The special starts with cart rolling down and the exploding wall is a really nice way to make it easy to remember. However the second stage is still a bit meh. I think you said you were in a hurry so you just slapped some textures in and made some minor details, so this can probably still look much better. Ain't noticed any FPS drops either, so I'll give you a 5 in optimization.
Premuda |3|4|5|4|5| It’s yellow. A nice custom theme, though the yellowness gets annoying sometimes when you get jarated in combat, but otherwise it doesn’t interfere with gameplay for me. The last stage used to be really confusing. It got better at b1, but it’s still easy for players to get lost there, but otherwise the map is easy enough to understand. I love the small details, like stairs being bit borked etc.
Scoville |4|4|3|3|3|The lags, the bugs and the ugly :/ In a gameplay (not considering fps) aspect the map isnt bad. The carts are a bit buggy tho, the fps is bad and the detailing is meh. Prolly will be good ocne you finish it, but right now it's too laggy at times for me too play properly. I don't really know what to say more than this. Detail it, optimize it, and you win a cookie or two!
Slate |3|4|4|3|5| I see Dustbowl here, or maybe I see it more than I should because you said that you copied it a bit. It works better than Dustbowl though. The defense can’t rely on sentry farms, but BLU cannot win by just rushing either. The detailing is also nice, and it fits the style well, but playing this map with 20-30 fps isn’t fun, so optimize it better!
Snowdrift |5|3|4|5|4| One of the best “flowing” maps in the contest. The single stage along with the wide main path through the entire map makes it really easy to understand. The balance wasn’t as good though. The defense always wins at the 2nd or last CP (unless the teams are unbalanced of course), and I’ve yet to see the 3rd CP to be a problem for BLU. The detailing is done well, but, and maybe this is just me, it seems a bit non-TF2-y in style.
Vector |3|3|5|4|4| Love the way it starts off somewhere that seems unpopulated and desertish and then smothly moves to a dark spytechy place. The different paths are as clear in any Valve map on the first two stages. However on the third stage I tend to always get confused. Even if I’ve played it lots of time already, I still get lost on that stage. Also, the entire map is a bit too choky for my liking, but instead the paths on the first stages are easier to learn than most other good maps. The map also seems a bit leaned towards RED.

Last edited:

owly-oop

im birb
aa
Apr 14, 2009
I will edit this post once i have thought of something to write :p

Animus|3 The layout seems straight-forward but i still often get lost and don't know where the paths will lead|4 Each class has it's use like normally, but i feel some of the paths are useless.|2 Some unfinished areas, buildings look great but the lighting isn't so much.|5 Don't notice any FPS Drops.|3 While the style is unique, i still think the dim maroonish tone is ugly and not very eye pleasing.
Arctic|5 I know where to go, never lost, and the carts are in predictable places.| 3 Stage 1 and 2 are fine, but i feel stage 3 is the one that puts it down. It feels way to open and way too much of a height difference. There are alot of unused areas and the fighting feels scattered.|2 Mostly everywhere is dev textured, but i like the area outside of stage 1 spawn.|5 Not much detail so my FPS is always high| 4 I like the industrial theme in the snow, looks great. I don't like stage 3 much, it's hard to make out what it is.
Bayou|4 Good flow, i only get lost sometimes but i learn it anyways.|4 I personally think C is too easy to lock down, sometimes B but other than that i don't notice any classes struggling.|4 I love the use of the swamp theme, but some areas are plain and look unfinished.|4 Notice a solid FPS except near point C| 5 I love the use of the swamp theme, and the idea of a rocket coming out of the swamp and a titlted mansion is amazing! :D
Cornfield|4 pretty obvious where to go, but i feel stage 2 is too easy to flank and the battle seems a bit scattered.|5 Don't notice any classes that struggle, engineers can't lock the points down and it is fun to play|3 If stage 1 and 2 were detailed i'd rate this a 5, but judging stage 3 i love the detailing. Good use of wooden buildings|5 Solid FPS, mostly due to the undetailed stages :p|5 I love the cart model and the theme of stage 3.
HAARP|5 When i play this map i know where to go, no winding paths and everything is straight-forward.|4 I've seen red and blue win all the stages so i don't see any problem with balance. Each class has their own role in this map but i feel scouts are bad on this map due to sentries, mainly on blu. |4 The detail is amazing except near the final areas. I feel some of the walls and areas are plain. |5 I don't notice my FPS dropping|5 I love the style. Who doesn't like evil bases on the edges of cliffs! Not to mention the detail and style go hand-in-hand.
Highwind|3 Obvious where to go, but i dislike how there is little height advantage. We already have granary for boring layouts :c|4 Good balance, but i feel snipers dominate in too many areas.| 3 I like the theme, but because of the layout comes plain areas. Some buildings have random blue stripes that would look better if they were alligned.|5 Solid FPS, nothing to complain about| 4 I like the style and setting, except for the bright green grass D: it looks like paint
Nightfall|5 Always know where to go, never lost, and i like the way the paths are layed out.|5 Great balance, every class has it's place and each path has it's use too.|4 have to rate this a 4 due to stage 3, but stage 1 and 2 look great!|4 Notice a slight FPS Drop is some places, but i don't know if that's only me.|5 Great use of the alpine theme.
Panamint|5 I always know where to go and what's ahead of me| 3 It feels stage 2 is way to easy for red, only way blu will win is if they demojump cap or if the teams are greatly stacked. The height advantage for red is way too much|3 Some unfinished areas, and the areas that are detailed feel plain.|5 Solid FPS, no complaints| 4 You captured the goldrush feel very well, but it still feels plain because of the undetailedness :c
Panic|4 I know where the objectives are and where to go, but some areas are too dark and i lose some sense of direction being in them|4 Each class does well, but i don't like how stage 3 can be determined by 1 crit sticky and now hope of winning after that.|5 Detail looks gorgeous and each area is consistent.|4 rarely notice FPS drops but they do happen.|5 I love the theme. The ending is amazing and you captured a creepy dark forest pretty well
Premuda|4 I know where to go, but stage 3 feels akward attacking for blu. Being so far below from the cap point feels akward|4 Each class has it's strengths but i feel defense engys are a bit too powerful|4 Detail looks nice but i don't like the pure yellow lighting, conflicts with too many colors.|4 Some FPS Drops here and there but it's usually fine|3 I love the island theme but the yellow lighting is a killer, especially since your old skybox went so well with it
Rollout|2 Stage 3 i don't know where to go or what to do. I'm often lost and i don't see many players.|3 Classwise it seems good but it's too hard to defend in some areas due to being lost|1 Detail is non-existant, and why is there a hollowed cube in the 3d skybox with sky tetxures slapped on them D:|5 Solid FPS due to it being undetailed|2 Not much detail, but i like the artificial lighting and the industrial aspects
Scoville|5 When i play i know where to go. The map is pretty straight forward and the layout is memorizable.|5 Each class has it's ups and downs in areas, and i don't feel any class is doing bad everywhere in the map.|3 Going to have to rate this 3 due to the unfinished areas, but i love the detailing on stage 1. it really does feel cold with the blueish tone and the yummy lighting|2 Poorly optimized. I notice bad FPS pretty much everywhere, but it is still playable.|5 Love the theme for stage 1, and the shapes for stage 2 and 3.
Slate|4 I'm never lost except for that area in stage 2? The exits feel cramped and the transitions from wide open areas to cramped tunnels and buildings feels akward.|3 Difficulty doesn't seem to go in the order of the stages, stage 3 is way to easy for blu.|5 Detail looks nice everywhere, great use of the alpine theme|5 Solid FPS everywhere|4 Good use of alpine, but i feel the ending could have something more epic
Snowdrift|4 I'm never lost but i don't like how at the end it feels cramped with long sniper sightlines.|4 Good balance, but i don't like the no blocking, and the 1st 2 caps seems easy for red compared to cap 3|4 Detail is nice and looks the same everywhere, but it feels plain and everywhere is a same boring building|5 Solid FPS|4 I like the theme, but it feels the same everywhere and it doesn't feel like blu is capping anything of importance
Solitude|3 Stage 3 is a killer. Fighting is scattered and not many people pay attention to the carts|5 Great class balance everywhere and attacking/defending seem to be of the same difficulty.|4 Detail looks great but i feel some buildings/areas are lacking|5 Solid FPS|4 The theme looks great but the color scheme looks like vomit and poop, my personal opinion though
Vector|5 I know where to go and i am never lost. No complicated areas and no pathways i always avoid.|4 Each class is good on this map, but stage 3 is where it seems to do bad for scouts and stickyjumping/rocketjumping people.|5 Spectacular detail, everywhere is consistent and looks good.|5 Don't notice any FPS drop.|5 Amazing spytech and use of the hydro theme.

Last edited:

Ten19

Jun 17, 2009
Stealing the table layout I'd like to use (cheers Owl!). As of this last edit, my voting is complete.

A/D CTF Maps: | Gameflow | Balance | Detailing | Optimizing | Style | Comments
ctf_vector| 3 | 4 | 5 | 5 | 4 | Having seen Vector since a17, I can say this has definitely come a long way and looks damn good in the process, especially the interior work and the custom intelligence. Some of the flow decisions are still a bit awkward but in the end, it played very well, leading to nice balance on both sides.
ctf_haarp| 5 | 4 | 4 | 5 | 5 | Another map I've had the pleasure of playing early versions of, HAARP has also blossomed to a nice polish, especially with the surrounding landscape and custom CPs. It plays very well and clear attention has been given to how players flow on both sides. Compared to the other A/D maps, though, the lack of a countdown to when the flag will respawn after a CP capture stands out.
ctf_bayou| 3 | 2 | 3 | 3 | 4 | It's a cool concept, a nice implementation of the Swamp theme, and a neat take on the A/D model. However, Bayou falls short in a few areas, namely some awkwardly cramped areas, inconsistent and occasionally sloppy detailing/signage and some flow and balance issues (such as points that are too easy to defend).
ctf_snowdrift| 4 | 4| 3 | 4 | 3 | Snowdrift has always had a sparse feel to it... the building themselves look good, but the interiors feel as though they could have had a bit more polish. It flows and plays pretty well, especially the smaller, but well-defined blocking zone. Despite the potential for getting lost the dynamic signage is well implemented. Another A/D that would have benefited from the post-Cap intel countdown (though I like the touch of the intel sliding up out of the ground).
ctf_slate| 4 | 4 | 3 | 4 | 3 | Slate's clearly been gone over with a close eye for detail and atmosphere, as well as how tight it plays. Another excellent example of smaller yet well-defined blocking/capture zones (and post-cap rising intel). The third stage 3-point model also really helps keep things interesting. It's hard to get a real feel as to the overall environment, though, and the style feels a bit disparate from one stage to the next.
ctf_panamint| 3 | 3 | 1 | 2 | 2 | Between the ever-present devtextures, raw blocky brushes, and sparse detailing, Panamint feels incomplete, like it doesn't really have an identity yet. A few gameplay elements are promising, such as the spiral in Stage 2, and the handful of interesting conflicts between teams. Also, bonus points for the sweet-ass laser cannon.
ctf_premuda| 4 | 4 | 5 | 4 | 5 | It's evident at first glance that Premuda made a bold choice for the ambient light throughout the map, a choice that ended up working out very well, as, between the lighting and small touches throughout, I definitely get the unique stormy paradise feel I think it's trying to convey. It also helps a lot that it plays very well, with obvious attention given to methods of attack and defense. Additions of custom models and a post-cap intel countdown are also a plus.
PLR Maps: | Gameflow | Balance | Detailing | Optimization | Style | Comments
plr_scoville| 3 | 3 | 2 | 2 | 3 | Scoville conveys its frosty theme well ( at least in the fully textured first stage) and brings with it a nice PLR battle with a excellent smattering of tight spaces along the track. It doesn't really take advantage of the z-axis, though, as most of the track (and resulting action) is along a flat plane. Also the fact that it is incomplete is frustrating, as I feel it could have done very well with additional polish. Bonus points for the fantastic finish.
plr_solitude| 3 | 4| 3 | 4 | 4 | I rather liked the hazy desert afternoon feel of Solitude (though it sort of gets lost in concrete in later stages), and it certainly feels like a place , rather than a disconnected collection of areas. Some unique architecture leads to some fun conflicts with the other side. Also, stinging barbwire is a nice touch.
plr_animus| 4 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 3 | Animus was originally to be a unique PL map where the carts were powered by the souls of killed players. The map is stylized to match this, with a spooky halloween-ready atmosphere. Being converted to a normal PLR though, I think it's lost its identity, and we're left with a sort of the remains of the idea. The gameplay is pretty good actually, though a few glitches, awkward brush/detailing and insufficient lighting work against it as a whole.
plr_nightfall| 4 | 4 | 3 | 4 | 4 | Up until Stage 3, Nightfall is fantastically polished and really sets the mood I think the creator was looking for. The cart paths brought a lot of fun conflicts, especially with slow momentum race of the last stage. The lack of full textures on S3 and a few texture/prop oddities throughout were the only real negatives here.
plr_rollout| 3 | 3 | 2 | 3 | 2 | Rollout has a lot of cool things working for it right from the beginning, but the fact that it remains rather rough and unfinished overall is disappointing. Rolling bombs into train cars and trucks and the attention to ambient activity is a big plus, as is some genuinely fun plr gameplay, including some enjoyable implementations of verticality. I look forward to seeing Rollout when it is in a completed state.
plr_cornfield| 4 | 3 | 2 | 3 | 2 | It's hard to say what Cornfield will look like as a whole when finished (where is the corn? Is it in the present?) as, aside from the last stage, it is mostly dev textures at this point. Gameplay-wise, though, it is very solid, and led to some fun battles. The ending is pretty unique too. Also, you'll leave asking yourself... "what the hell is in the box?"
plr_panic| 4 | 4 | 3 | 4 | 5 | The atmosphere of Panic is understated but effective, and the lighting nicely offsets the dusky feel outside. The interiors feel a little sparse but the overall geometry leads to some fun fights. The first two stages begin with an interesting event of sorts which makes things feel a bit more engaging than just staring at a bomb. Also, the "fight against the tide" approach for the third stage really goes a long way toward providing some unique gameplay to the already hectic third stage, including offering an alternate way to win the match.
plr_arctic| 3 | 4 | 2 | 2 | 2 | I really liked some of the things Arctic attempts to do with bringing the opposing tracks together in tight spaces, it lead to some intense firefights. Theme wise, it's clearly a chilly venture, though, as the sky will plainly tell you, it is in Alpha state and as such is not very fully detailed, nor many brushes fleshed out (though what has been done has a nice look to it). A really good start, though.
plr_highwind| 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 2 | The almost neon-green grass and windmills of Highwind are proof it is trying something unique to be sure. Unfortunately, the fantasy theme seems to clash sharply with many of the core TF2 elements, leading to a jarring experience. Gameplay wise, I really like the concept of the "laps" model, wherein each team each tries to race their bomb to the end as many times as they can before the 20 minute mark, though the scoring mechanism did not work for one team in a few tests. Aside from the style, most of the geometry and detailing are fairly pleasant to look at. I'd really like to see the gametype polished and implemented in a more TF2-style map.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2008
_ctf.jpg

bayou.jpg

Bayou|2|3|2|2|3

I like the setting of this contestant and the swamp-pack was decently put to use.
Unfortunately it feels often rushed.
The gameflow doesn´t feel directed, even after playing it several times i felt disoriented.
There are areas where you feel that you need something to hint you the direction,
and places like spawn, where there is an information overload.
It felt decently balanced , but i guess often because blue could´t coordinate their attack because they team was all over the map searching for their way. what i missed were staging areas, where a team could gang up and then collectively attack.
There is a good amount of detailing in the map, sadly most of it is via props and i feel that the map drowns in that aspect.
Some areas miss a "theme", something like a story-arch provided by the environment.
The biggest hit was the optimization, Point 2 especially was a slide-show for me.
I believe you´re on a good way with the map, but you´d need to re-arrange some areas to make them optimizable.

haarp.jpg

Haarp|4|3|4|5|5

This is one of the maps which i give great points for providing a story arch
(i know, it´s always the same old "start in the outback and work towards the HQ", but that´s the least you can do)
Each area has its own charismatic point with proves positive to gameplay, people know after playing it one time, where to go.
Both teams have a fair chance to win this map, though some points feel too effectively protected by sentries, or not at all vulnerable when you squeeze 5 reds onto the point.
I wish there was more then one way to approach the Capture Point,
it feels like you always need to tankrush to get the cap.
Can´t say anything negative about optimization.
Style and Detailing are mostly well executed, there are just some bland and boring corridors which could have benefited from some love.
The Map takes its own spin combining hydro with snow and feels multilayered.

panamint.jpg

Panamint|4|3|2|4|2

Lovely little Panamint, i wish you to grow up and become strong. Definitely finish it, Mr.Hanz.
What i like about you as a mapper is that layouts often feel fresh and not copied from another map,
at some points you did so, other points feel a bit awkward. Point 2-2 is some strange mutation
(i never liked the badlands prop) and the final point is anti-climactic and needs more awesomeness.
I always knew where to go, panamint has a straight forward layout, with little occasions to get lost.
Vertical gameplay is fairly balanced too.
The balance is fair up to the awkward points i mentioned, 2-2 is too hard for blu, 3-2 too easy.
Not much i can say about detailing, because there is almost none.
From the few detailed areas i´d say that you have to find your own way of detailing (Goldrush-Spawn :/).
No problems on the optimization-side, but that´s because most of the map is still in Dev-Textures.
Unfortunately i can´t say much about the style either, only thing we see is that it´s going to be desert-ish,
i wish you would have used more time on detailing, at least the first 2 points,
so we can imagine what the final product might look like.

slate.jpg

Slate|3|3|4|4|3
I have some problems with slate, it feels (as someone already mentioned) flat, both in gameplay and visually.
It feels strange to be set into an alpine environment but without having any vertical alterations.
I often got lost, because everything looks the same. I believe that´s the Sawmill-Syndrome, there is just not enough variety in the textures, no shadows or lighting that provides contrast. In addition to that, the doors in Red´s last spawn were the most frustrating part.
Balance also worries me, i know you wanted to have faster gameplay, but it just feels disproportional having such a big map and so little time to cap. Blu is always on the winning side because up to the last point there is no way engineers can defend the points, i find the blocking-area too small.
Can´t complain about detailing, great as usual, not cluttered, not empty, fair amount of details. Only gripe is that you could have used other textures to make awesome cappoints.
Optimization was never a problem on your maps, so it´s not a problem here either.
I wish you´d dare more when it comes to Style, we all know that you can execute the given themes perfectly, but i´d like to see something new, something that blows my mind or at least mixes up some themes,which ain´t happening when i play Slate, it´s just boring old Sawmill depression :(

snowdrift.jpg

Snowdrift|3|4|3|5|3

The single-stage variation of the mode plays decently, the Spawn layout is very fair
and leads to encounters, where they should occur.
Unfortunately i have often just faught for cp1 and cp4, the in-betweens were capped to fast,
often because players didn´t exactly know which point comes into play now,
so the middle-points were left unguarded.
Detailing for me is a good use of interesting brushwork and props,
you score on the props-part, nothing seems out of place and there are
some neat prop-constellations that fit in perfectly.
On the other hand, most of the interiors look too much the same, rooms without any purpose.
Can´t complain about optimization issues, the layout is well crafted to ensure standard framerates.
Snowdrift for me has the same problems as slate, it ignores the importance of having
some landmarks in the environment, something that cheers my eyes.
All buildings have +/-1 floor the same height, and most use the blu metal panel texture.
I often feel that snowdrift is just blu in several shadings, no contrast whatsoever.
Oh, yeah, skybox... plz make it more interesting.

vector.jpg

Vector|4|5|4|5|4

Vector, oh Vector...
I´d like to give you full points on Gameflow, knowing that you pressed out the most alphas
and testing that the gameplay is as smooth as Megan Fox´s rear end.
But although i love Miss Fox, i want to have to struggle at some points, have an advantage on others.
It´s just too streamlined and lacks some personality.
Balance is fair, full points there.
Detailing is mostly awesome, but if you look closer, things seem a bit rushed,
conduits not connected to ceiling, skybox suddenly ending.
Full Points on the optimization front.
Style...hm...it´s hydro, so it´s tf2, therefore you should get 5 points, because that was well done.
Still, i wished you would dare something new, different skybox, some new textures.

_plr.jpg

animus.jpg

Animus|2|3|3|3|4

Unlike many, i like Animus for it´s style, the downer is the gameplay.
Even early in development, we gave you the feedback that the stages are way to big.
Half the map, both teams are just pushing their cart to the middle,
then they struggle, push until 3/4 and get gibbed.
From this point on it´s a fight for millemeters/inches because the travelling distance is just too huge.
There is too much wasted space. One third of the first 2 stages are just unneccessary.
It´s hard to talk about balance in symmetrical maps, it comes down to if sentry-positions are
overpowered or sniperlanes too long. I give you a 3, it´s not bad in animus, but because of the length,
defense and offense seem unfocused, just so many ways to get to the other side that D&O end up scattered.
I like your ambitious detailing, except the pumpkins, they are too bright.
You get only 3 due to the remaining dev-texturing.
Can´t complain much about optimization, didn´t get any major fps-drops or spikes.
You tried to pull off a new style, and i´d say you mostly managed to do so,
what stands out negatively for me is the sky that just feels a bit off. and the overall toning,
a bit less purple&orange would be nice.

arctic.jpg

Arctic|-|-|-|-|-

need to play that more...

cornfield.jpg

Cornfield|3|4|3|3|4

This would be one of the top dogs if only you had rushed up a bit more to finish it.
The last 2 stages flow quite well, the first one has some weird sideways that don´t really benefit the flow.
I liked the earlier versions of stage 2, the new edit makes it more complicated for the
losing team to get the leading team off their cart.
Would the detailing be finished, you´d get a solid 5 but since most is missing, it´s only 3 :/
Something that recently caught my eye is that you use sooo many different materials
on buildings that should only have one or two. If everything wasn´t covered
by the pinkness it would look very patchy.
Can´t say more about optimization, but i believe you will run into some long sightlines
and will need to add something that blocks the view.
Dude, where is the corn? You promised it and never delivered. -1 for that.
Other than that, you pulled off your own candy world pretty well and
i´m looking forward to the final product. :)

highwind.jpg

Highwind|2|2|2|4|2

Highwind feels a bit short for my taste, i´m always hoping for the next stage that will never come.
The single track has a massive chokepoint which is hard to overcome, many times both teams got stuck at it,
and only managed one or two caps.
The gameflow is a bit flat, the only height-differences are the platforms inside the building.
Not having a variable like height it´s always the team with the most kill-skill that wins.
If both teams are the same, you get stale-matey 20 minutes :/
Personally the detailing doesn´t shine, several textures are mis-aligned, several support-structures are missing,
there is no skybox, and you have palm-trees in an alpine environment?
Optimization is good, no complaints there, you get only 4 because the map feels empty,
so i don´t know how it would perform with more detail.
The high-contrast grass and the over-the top color are too much, tf2 is cartoony enough as it is.
Shifting it more toward neon just doesn´t feel ok to me :/.
I just don´t feel the theme coming together, there are too many factors that just don´t snap.

nightfall.jpg

Nightfall|4|4|4|4|4

This is my favorite PLR Contestant, up until the last stage, where it breaks for me.
Not because it´s not detailed, but because i dont like the detour and then the downward slope,
where it doesn´t make sense that it´s not rolling down by itself.
That winning Checkpoint should be further up the ramp, which would reduce the grindfest at the end of the ramps. Detailing is pretty awesome, it´s a less depressing sawmill, and i appreciate that.
Optimization could be improved, but is almost top-notch.
Style is consistent throughout the map, the buildings veriate nicely and you cheered up sawmill.
That´s what i missed in Slate. :)

panic.jpg

Panic|-|-|-|-|-

rollout.jpg

Rollout|-|-|-|-|-

scoville.jpg

Scoville|3|3|3|2|5

Oh man, if not for the giant framedrops, people would avait the next release asap, but as it is now the 2 memorable things are Framedrops and way behind the grand explosion. Make optimization your very next goal.
The gameflow is rather simple in the first 2 stages, the are also quite alike, 2 being a bigger version of 1, this leaves a bit unsatisfied, it feels like the unbeloved child.
The most frustrating part was rolling the cart to the final cap on point 3, even with gazillion of people on it, it felt like a limping snail. I suppose the cause is the Fan sucking it back, but nobody really gets that because that´s the only time that happens. change that plz. make the last meters longer and give the cart its normal speed.
Balance is simple, though i´d wish there was one or two quiet corners for engies to set up their gadgetry.
From what is visible, the detailing is excellent, no doubt the final product will shine.
Opti... m..i... ehmmm, lets not talk about that ;)
The Style is unique and well executed, dipping blu more into the greyish-area amplifies the cold of the map, i like that choice of colors. Player are well contrasted.

solitude.jpg

Solitude|-|-|-|-|-

Last edited:

FreeLance_FoX

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 6, 2008
I stole from Fearlezz... I should probably credit him. :3

In any case, my table also looks a little mis-shapen so I may reformat it later. =/

CTF Maps: | Flow | Balance | Detail | Optimization | Style | Comments ctf_haarp | 5 | 4 | 5 | 5 | 5 | Of all the contest maps, I felt that in its concept phase haarp was a weak idea that didn't have anywhere to progress. My mind, however, was changed drastically. I really think that in this case the beautiful result is a result of the seemingly endless hours you must have put in, Spud. The setting came together in a crisp and slick way that is second only to Valve. The balance was always such a troublesome thing and I know you made many subtle adjustments over the versions. I can imagine with this new game type, you really had to work at it to maintain the beautifully simple design while also making it play well. This is my overall top pick! :D
ctf_premuda | 3 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 5 | This was my original favorite, just because of the immense promise it presented via its new environment. The colors, which some people find garrish, I find strikingly beautiful. I have spent more hours walking around alone in this map than playing it, I believe. As always, the detailingis in your trademark saturated and quirky style that really stands out from the crowd. When you finally added the skybox in the recent versions I could finally see it coming together, and more so than any other map I can't wait for this map to be finished! Gameplay wise, I've always been a fan of your ideas but in practice some of the stranger geometry for the CPs has gone badly. The balance seems great to me but it's more the flow that's the issue, with all the holes, deathpits, rooftops, etc. I love it, but it could stand for simplification.
ctf_vector | 3 | 4 | 5 | 5 | 5 | Oh... how I love Vector. I love its style and simplicity, but as I think you know Icarus its always felt just a little off. You pulled the theme off beautifully, the gameplay is acceptable by the sparse standards of push ctf play that we've established, but as you will admit parts of the layout feel... dustbowlish. Not just like you borrowed the landforms, but bottlenecked or tunnelish too in some areas. I love this map to death simply for the fantastic ideas, but the execution seems to be where it faltered.
ctf_panamint | 4 | 3 | 3 | 5 | 4 | This map did have a rough start, but it's changed so immensely that I think I've grow to like it quite a bit. While it still has unresolved balance issues, which I do hope you will continue to address before you release the final version, this map, I think, the most distinct and interesting geometry out of all the contest maps. The finished product, visually, is obviously lacking, but I can appreciate the idea of the theme, even if it is very standard.
ctf_bayou | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 5 | Ah... Bayou. This one snuck up on me when it began to come together. I was surprised, above all, that you had the patience to complete this map when it was pushing SO many boundaries. It's hard enough to deal with this untested gametype, but to then pile on a heap of convention-breaking ideas like the tilted room and an entire new theme... I'm in awe! I'm so glad that you kept with this map, if finished and polished to its maximum potential, I can see it being the first swamp map to reach the wider community! Gameplay wise, it feels choppy but balanced, with an excessive amount of routes but nothing game-breaking. Detailing wise it feels very awkward still at this stage. You've done a great job integrating the swamp theme elements, but some of the custom things you've added like the brushwork doors, the railings on the boat, even those life-preservers... just feel out of place.
ctf_snowdrift | 4 | 3 | 3 | 4 | 3 | First off this map deserves many props as the only CTF map to approach the gametype from a single stage perspective. Very innovative, plus the use of the snow theme too! I feel like this map has a lot of work left to polish the gameplay, but right now the geometry and the visuals both feel nice and clean. Some of the areas do feel spammy or just constricting, but I think that all in all it comes out as a fun map to play.
ctf_slate | 2 | 3 | 4 | 4 | 5 | I've always wondered about this map... being the very first push CTF map, it definitely suffered some issues as far as the gametype. It has progressed SO far visually and I just worry that not enough effort was put in to the gameplay. With so many needlessly wide open areas, some oddly placed entrances, and long sightlines, I just feel like it needs a good revision. The visuals, though, are very very nice, extremely well done with the sawmill style!
PLR Maps: | Flow | Balance | Detail | Optimization | Style | Comments plr_panic | 5 | 5 | 4 | 4 | 5 | Ah... Panic. Ravidge, you've outdone yourself! All the other plr maps certainly have a hard time topping this. I feel like it definitely has its weak spots, but the layout is so very memorable and the visuals are so stunning that it stands out pretty far above the crowd. I love the theme you've constructed, it's refreshing, and the gameplay still feels engaging despite being... plr. :p
plr_highwind | 5 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 5 | This was by far the biggest surpise of the whole contest, for me! I LOVE this map! I could play it all day, if only other people weren't bored by it. I just love the simplicity of the level design and the choice of theme, both innovative but still manage to stay connected to regular tf2 style. The cart, more than any other plr map in the contest, feels integral to the gameplay here. The whole middle of the map makes me so very happy, not to mention the windmills and palmtrees combination that I still maintain is sheer brilliance. Fantastic work! (I wish there were more stages!)
plr_scoville | 3 | 5 | 5 | 3 | 5 | Oh Scoville... I remember staying up until 3 AM waiting for a1, I was so very excited for a map set in Australia. To this day I'm dissapointed that you didn't continue that! :( Heheh in any case, I love the setting now too. It feels unique within the tf2 universe and yet very close to Valve's industrial areas. If you'd just finish it! Specific issues with me are... some of the needless side areas. Yes they really do break up the monotonous plr gameplay, but I feel like you've lost the cart as the focal point at some... points. =/ Anyway, I still LOVE Scoville!
plr_arctic | 3 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 5 | Well this was a surprise! The gameplay is solid and interesting, if a bit scattered, but what I love most about this map is your approach to the snow theme. The wooden areas that you've created so far, some of the more creative geometry, plus the ice cave, are all features that make this map one of the most memorable, especially so considering it's in devs mostly.
plr_nightfall | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | This feels like a solid and well-constructed map, very reminiscent of Valve! The gameplay seems solid enough and the visuals are very well executed. Really the only few issues I could point out were the wonky distributions of health in some areas, plus some of the confusing geometry in certain spots. Overall, very fun!
plr_cornfield | 1 | 4 | 3 | 4 | 4 | Oh... Cornfield. I think this was a great idea that went pretty wrong. I love it, I have admittedly had a ton of fun playing it before, but as far as the level design it feels very... uneven and confusing. I know the layout quite well, but the issue is that a LOT of geometry is just unneccesary. I don't even remember the alphas, I must not have played them, but I think if you were to strip this back to its basic, squared off, simple buildings, and then were to remove a LOT of the unneccesary small height variation (2nd stage, I'm looking at you), it would be a much more enjoyable map. The cart and the presents... I just always wonder if those are really final? =/
plr_solitude | 3 | 4 | 2 | 4 | 4 | This map was QUITE a surprise! It was pleasant, but left me wanting more. Specifically, I feel like the detailing is incomplete and very drab... in some places it doesn't make sense, such as the palm trees, or in other places it just makes me say WTF, like the barbed wire that actually DOES DAMAGE!? Ugh. If you were to remove the barbed wire as well as the piece of geometry above the other entrance to that area, it would be very interesting to see what kind of vertical gameplay resulted. Otherwise, I appreciate the simplicity of your design and the unique idea for the visuals. Just keep working at it!
plr_animus | 1 | 3 | 2 | 4 | 4 | Ergh. I want to be brief, but I really dislike the direction this map went. The geometry is beyond confusing in most of the main battle areas, and the majority of the side paths seemed extraneous to me. Furthermore, OMG the stages are HUGE. The style you decided on was a clever one, I guess, but you did not carry out in a way that does it justice. One thing that especially makes me not enjoy this map is the colors... I can tolerate just about anything in the name of creativity, but the blaring orange pumpkins and purple/orange everywhere is just... not pleasant. I'd love to see this idea through, though, it seems like there are just a lot of problem areas.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
============= CTF MAPS =============

Vector
Category | Rating
Gameflow|4
Balance|4
Detailing|5
Optimization|5
Style|5
A really good map that I definately enjoy playing. Detailing is flawless and it feels like you're actually moving towards a secret spytech base with each stage. The gameflow is great, there are no issues getting around or finding the hotspots. But the connectors between points are often very cramped and while good for the overall balance they really break my stride! Balance has definately been a top priority for this map, going strong in a team vs team aspect. No issues on optimization, I get the expected framerates. The hydro theme is not a new one and vector does not have a peronalized "vector style", the way you've harmonized the entire map and nested it with spytech makes you regain the lost style points.

I still think it needs a few more tests to be a perfect 5. (class balance mainly) But it's definately a top tier map even now.

HAARP
Category | Rating
Gameflow|4
Balance|4
Detailing|5
Optimization|5
Style|5
When I first saw this map I didn't expect much from it. It has since then become a keyword for this entire competition! It features a good mix of open and indoor arenas. There are some real tough chokes for blue to overcome, and simply having a slightly off class setup can render the whole fight impossible to win. Most of the time the only answer is head-on assault, a battle of guns, not much room for surprise attacks. May sound like a serious issue but it's works for the most part, but if there is room for improvement, this is where it's at. Optimization, detailing and style = Aces, it looks stunning and I have about the same framerate as I would on a valve map so that is all good.
The gameplay is undoubtably great but I feel there are a few missing pieces to this otherwise perfect contest entry.

Slate
Category | Rating
Gameflow|4
Balance|4
Detailing|4
Optimization|5
Style|3
A standard sawmill themed map, not much to make it stand out or look special. The strength of this map is it's fast and furious gameplay combined with open outdoors arenas. Not everyones favorite style of play, personally I like it when attacking, but have a lot less fun defending. You get overwhelmed quickly if you stray from the backbone sentrygun. Detailing is very nice, it really fits with the theme, but towards the end of the map there is still work to be done.
Since it doesn't bring much new to the table, it's hard to say it got a individual style, the stages blend together visually and I think some outrageous landmarks wouldn't hurt, hehe.

Snowdrift
Category | Rating
Gameflow|3
Balance|5
Detailing|4
Optimization|5
Style|4
When I see "you're heading towards Snowdrift" in the loading screen, I know I'm in for a good time. So far the map has been very enjoyable. But it has it's problems, which kinda cripples this otherwise interesting single-stage entry. The greatest issue is the last point, It's small and very cramped. The paths that lead to it are narrow and difficult to fight in, doesn't make for a good descisive battle... rather it's a chaotic kafauffle. Point 3 is not as bad, but seemingly impossible for RED to hold for any extensive time. The fun part of the map is definately playing as blue, The general flow of the map makes teamwork inevitable. The detailing is at a good level however I feel that there is much more you could do with it. There are a lot of areas that seem to have no purpose other than being a room, and the outsides feel naked. Simplicity is good, but alittle more detail would not hurt. You did well on working with snow before viaduct, good job on that!

Overall it's a nice map, with some haunting flaws, it lacks a punch but it's really fun to play.

Premuda
Category | Rating
Gameflow|4
Balance|4
Detailing|5
Optimization|3
Style|4
I could stare at this map for ages, the detailing is probably the best of all entries. The skybox, the 3d sky, the odd displacement curves.. very beautiful. It definately is a stylish map, I've seen no other map like it.. Some really great ideas went into the theme and setting of this piece. I wouldn't say the flow and balance is bad, but there are undisputable issues, strange twisting pathways, gigantic heigh advantages and other stage specific things (chokes and such). I still scored it pretty high even with those problems because there are a lot of good design here that I really like, which outweights the flaws (but they can not be ignored!). Optimization is the devil in this map, my fps can be very jumpy and inconsistant in premuda. It's gotten better since the start but it's still an issue. And the filesize really is a bit on the heavy side, it is a 3-stage map and those are large, I know that. But from an optimization standpoint it still matters, and I think there is work to be done in this area.

Last words: Even more optimization, I know you can do it! And tone down the yellow ambiance just a little bit, It can start to get on my nerves after awhile. It IS a really good map, be sure of that!

Panamint
Category | Rating
Gameflow|5
Balance|4
Detailing|1
Optimization|5
Style|2
Cute map. It's layout is original and interesting, and I feel that each stage gets progressively harder (except 3-2, that one is too easy to cap). It's fun to play both red and blue and I think you have gameplay tuned in pretty nicely! The problem is the detailing, mostly because it isn't there, and those parts that are detailed aren't very spectacular. They are good in their own rights, but the textureless bulk of the map forces the score down. It doesn't have much in the style department either, I love the cannon and flag models but that is about the only thing that is special, and they just aren't enough to carry 3 stages worth of map.
I think this map can go far with more detailing. And I mean really far.

Bayou
Category | Rating
Gameflow|2
Balance|5
Detailing|3
Optimization|1
Style|2
I think this map has a mix of both good elements and horrible mapping mistakes. It really tries hard, but in the end it's just another map. The brushwork is blocky and has a slight goldsrc feel over it (half-life 1, tfc). Due to the incredible amount of props and poor optimization I have really low or jumpy fps most of the time. The detailing is not bad, but inconsistant... some rooms looks great while others look like crap. In my eyes, the map has 1 really strong point, which is its balance. I enjoy playing both red and blue on this map and I feel the points get more difficult closer to the final.
As I understand it, this is a 'first map' from the author, and I can safely say that it's rare to see those work. In my honest opinion the map has too many faults to be fixed, instead you should take the parts you really like that plays well. And rebuilt the map from scratch, this time you can also keep basic optimization in mind when doing the design (it's important its there from brush #1).
I really wish you the best of luck with this or future maps.

============= PLR MAPS =============

Nightfall
Category | Rating
Gameflow|5
Balance|5
Detailing|4
Optimization|5
Style|3
The first and second stages are probably the best in the plr competition, the gameflow is great, they really look better than valve detailing, and the visual style is coherent (but missing spytech! It's the foundation of TF2 story). Then there is the third stage, I know you are reworking it, but I can only judge what I see. Considering it doesn't have detailing at all it's going to drag the overall feeling of the map down a notch in both style and detailing. Itself it doesn't play too badly but it's not much fun since there is never a real clash between the teams.

Even with those nitpicks it's still topping my list of current plr maps! Can't wait for you to finish it up.

Solitude
Category | Rating
Gameflow|3
Balance|3
Detailing|5
Optimization|2
Style|4
I remember playing a dev textured version of this early on, and it came a long way from that! It was almost a completely new map. The detailing is brilliant and spot on for the theme you chose. It's very clean and I like it. All the times I played this map though I had terrible fps in stage 1 and noticable drops in the other two. I can honestly not guess why, but this is what I experienced.. same thing on different days and different servers. Another big gripe I have is how hard it is to catch up once you're behind in the race. Stage 2 is really small and stage 3 feels kinda unorganized and I had a hard time to grasp an overview of the ongoing battle from the playing field.
I feel that this map is still not as good as it can be. I'm sure that with some more testing and experimenting it could go far. Stage 1 is the most enjoyable of the three, and with such a good looking map, finding eager testers shouldn't be hard! Keep working on it.

Cornfield
Category | Rating
Gameflow|4
Balance|4
Detailing|3
Optimization|2
Style|4
The layout of the stages are nice and fun to play, and most of all they feel "new". The game is always fun and the losing team seems to enjoy it just as much as the winners! Detailing is at a good start, and the finished parts looks amazing. But I think you know without me telling that there is much work left to be done on the rest of the map. And I'm sorry but the optimization is not really there yet, I know you're learning all the technical stuff at the moment and I hope you can fix it up for all of us. Also, the filesize is huge for something so unfinished, I don't know how you did it, but you can definately optimize that too.

I don't know what to say about the box carts or odd fountain ending, but I find them funny so they're not bad. Work on the optimization and detailing and you will have a map you proudly can present to people.

Scoville
Category | Rating
Gameflow|4
Balance|4
Detailing|2
Optimization|1
Style|3
Let me just say: Holey Dooley! That ending explosion is mindblowing.
You got most things right with this map. The gameplay is fair and fun, there are some issues with spawncamping and sightlines, but overall it's a fine map. The major fault here is the optimization, I'm sure you know, but it's nearly unplayable. The detailing has started out pretty nice, I don't really get the starry sky + sun + snow + another sun theme you got going here.. I always have associated 'Scoville' (the word) with heat and spicyness, but instead there is snow.. It kinda explains the end fireball/sun. But the entire map is named Scoville, not just the final stage! I feel really lost and there is probably a story I can read to understand it all, but I really shouldn't have to.
The map itself has good gameplay and I'm sure the detailing will make sense in the end. Fix the optimization issues and be proud of this cool map.

Animus
Category | Rating
Gameflow|1
Balance|2
Detailing|3
Optimization|3
Style|2
It started as souleater unsymetric race map, I'm glad you gave up on that, because while "new" it was not a very good idea. Since then it's turned more and more into a normal plr map. But it's not really finished yet. Stages are either very large or super tiny and the flow is very unfocused, most of the time I was never near the carts when playing and they didnt at all feel like part of the game. The detailing is only halfway there, What you have looks nice but there is no harmony within the map, it's like 3 or more themes are fighting to be in the spotlight.
The map needs some heavy reconstruction to become fun, and for what it's worth, the crossover bug still occurs, although a lot less.

Rollout
Category | Rating
Gameflow|2
Balance|2
Detailing|1
Optimization|4
Style|2
My experience in this map is getting spawncamped or getting surprised from behind because the enemy has a entrance straight to your base that goes well beyond the frontline action. In other words, the flow is terrible, which in turns makes the balance a mess. The way the game stages works is a good idea on paper, but in action is not that fun. Whenever a team managed to push back into the previous stage I just got angry that we had to do it all again! The detailing is non-existant and the wonky skyboxes are just... no.
This map is missing a lot of the "fun" ingredient that maps need. The first step is to make a fun map, fun maps get tested, tested maps get better, better maps get popular. You missed out on the first step so your testing suffered and thus the map feels very unfinished.
I hope you aren't taking my criticism the wrong way. I'm sure this map has been a valuable lesson in mapping for you and I wish you the best of luck in the future.

==================================

I did never get a chance to play artic or highwind on a populated server. Sorry!

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
Stealing your little layout, eerie, if you don't mind :)

_ctf.jpg

bayou.jpg

Bayou|2|3|4|3|4

The use of the swamp pack and the original points (pub, half-sunken mansion, pier), and the marvellous spawns and overall feel of the place are fantastic in this map. Sadly, the gameplay doesn't hold up as well yet. The first point is great, with the boat entrance and the first, frantic area - but once the game goes into the second and third areas, teams become scattered, often not knowing where to go and what to defend and how. The last point I've played a few times, and either it plays fantastic because some clever blu engineer put up a teleorter closeby, which makes this point work - or there's nothing of the sort and red just gets minor jabs in the side from people scootering around the map not sure what to do.

+ : Great looks and atmosphere, original points
- : Scattered gameplay and unhinged battles

haarp.jpg

Haarp|3|3|5|5|5

Beautiful, beautiful original setting, and this map stands out because of it. People remember this map, and the implied story makes the map get a real grand feel of the overall scheme of things. Unfortunately, gameplay often feels like one big zerg - some people like this. I don't. The map feels like it has too much long huge corridors, which makes a spam approach for both RED and BLU seem to be the best. Overall though, this map flows fine and even while it's spammy, people do find it very fun. And, truth to be told, BECAUSE of the spammy areas, the very last point can work out to be gloriously epic.

+: Epic, not in the internet, but in the original sense of the word.
-: It's like a bunch of corridors, gameplay-wise.

panamint.jpg

Panamint|5|5|3|4|5

My favourite of the contest. Even though it definitely doesn't look shiny ("huh, is this GOLDRUSH??"), it's been through a lot of gameplay testing. And that shows. The gameplay flows perfectly, and the map is always enjoyable for both parties. The second point of the second stage especially stands out as one of my favourite points in any map ever, and is always frantic, yet well conducted along the sidelines. My only tip here, Hanz, is to find a nice setting for the map and stick with it, so that it feels like there's a bit of story and to not get graded down due to detailing.

+: Fantastic gameplay, tons of fun.
-: It looks rather boring.

premuda.jpg

Premuda|3|4|5|2|5

Once again, a fantastic setting and very well worked out. It really gets the feel of that half-deserted mediterranean spybase down, with the gloomy lightning and the gushing waves (well, there are not actually gushing waves, but you can easily imagine them!). The problem, of course, is the optimization and the size, which I included with it. To get people to play a map, it needs to be fun - which this map definitely is. Stylish - yeah. However, if an average pubber sees the download counter stuck for half an hour, that's not a good thing. I think it's good to grade you down here, because it's really something you need to watch out for both here and future maps.

+: Fantastic setting, plays well.
-: Size and, sometimes, optimization.

slate.jpg

Slate|3|3|4|4|3
As always, very solid map, Youme - and solid in every sense of the word. It's a good layout. It's got good looks. It's got pretty good gameplay. But in the end, it feels like something we've seen already. That doesn't mean it's not fun - it definitely is - but with the similar looking alpine houses and environment, and the points being (due to the tiny caps) sometimes either totally blocked or totally rolled, it doesn't have that little sparkle that it so badly needs. It's still a good map, though.

+: Solid gameplay, good lookin'
-: Give it a little sparkle, like in those toothbrush ads, you know?

snowdrift.jpg

Snowdrift|2|3|3|5|2

An interesting map, which sometimes played awesomely, but more often than not, had some definite problems. First off, it feels like the whole map is one huge corridor (unlike HAARP's various corridors :p), making for spammy gameplay. While it does have some interesting points, and the places are easy to recognize and cleanly detailed, it feels like there's still some work to be done.

+: Clear, simple.
-: Spammy gameplay.

vector.jpg

Vector|4|2|4|5|4

Oh glorious Vector, I've played you so much. I still like it loads, with the Hydro setting combined with the Nucleus setting done right and epically, the great gameplay and the fantastic detailing. However, there are some points to be made still. First off, you mentioned it's been tested on a 32-man server, and that shows. On the three servers, all 24-man, most points (especially the first ones of the stages), feel like they're rolled over and don't matter at all. Another problem is the rather obvious use of how the spawns work and buildings are placed taken from Dustbowl. While it's still clearly a different map and plays different, it's a little odd to once again find those two large healthkits next to each other, something I thought was strange in the most played Valve cp map.

+: Great detailing, fun gameplay
-: Easy to roll on for BLU, Dustbowl-ish

_plr.jpg

animus.jpg

Animus|2|2|4|3|4

Lovely detailing. Even if the soul gathering gimmick didn't come through (which I'm not too worried about), it feels like it's a semi-spooky, twilit valley of death... but not too serious, seeing as that voodoo device still has a MANN CO. print. That said, there's some problem gameplay-wise. Map feels big, too big, and has the pipeline problem of the teams not encountering each other at all until a rather spammy middle crossing. Gameplay definitely needs some work, and I would advise to totally revamp some stages, or throw stuff around a little.

+: Great and interesting setting.
-: Gameplay feels very wonky.

arctic.jpg

Arctic|3|3|3|3|3

Overall, solid map. It's pretty much average on everything - some areas play really well, some areas have spawns opposite each other with big sniper lines. Sometimes, the areas look great and have a real setting, while sometimes it feels more like a building with random snow filled in. Amplify the good bits, take out the long pipeline syndrome problems mentioned above, and you've got a winner.

+: Sometimes good
-: Sometimes bad

cornfield.jpg

Cornfield|4|4|3|3|4

Can't wait to see the end result of this one, even though it's obviously in need of some work still. FIrst off, why does a crate with an angry hamster thing make the water pipes explode (I didn't count this, don't worry :p)? It has a nice setting, and the teams quickly meet each other, while keeping the stages varied and interesting. It does, however, lack in the detailing department, and once you work out that and sift out the wonky bits of gameplay (sniperlines at times, man), you've got a great map on your hands.

+: Nice gameplay, keeps interesting
-: Detailing for now is boring or unfinished

highwind.jpg

Highwind|2|2|4|3|4

Great looks, not as good gameplay. Highwind has a great setting, which (I think) looks good in TF2 and makes it memorable. The PLR delivery system is a fun idea and could work really well. However, even though the skylines here looks fantastic and varied, the map itself is basically two layers - grass and basement. It feels rather flat and uninteresting, gameplay-wise, which makes me mark down your map in that department. PLR delivery mode is still a good idea, and I urge you to change the playzone, not the skyline, and focus on gameplay.

+: Nice setting, cool mode.
-: Flat and uninteresting gameplay at times.

nightfall.jpg

Nightfall|5|4|4|4|4

Oh Nightfall, what a gem. My favourite out of the PLRs, this map does everything - it actually makes PLR fun (oh man, why didn't Valve do that) takes the Sawmill theme and makes it varied and cool (oh man, why didn't Valve do that). Not much else to say really - finish this and damn I'm hoping for an officialization.

+: Everything
-: Nothing

panic.jpg

Panic|4|5|4|4|3

Man, this map is fun. Looking at the silly rolling down cart and the dynamite I went "yeah, that'll need to play really well before I stop being skeptic". But it did. And the gimmicks, if I can call them gimmicks, work. The only problem I have is the one which I also noted in your thread - the night setting. The rolling of the cart, dynamite, and fantastic looking buildings just don't seem to be as eye-catching as they should be, what with the odd twilighty setting. I honestly loved the original daylight setting, and I sincerely hope you go back to that. Then again, you can't please everyone, I guess.

+: Original, fun gimmicks, great gameplay
-: The setting detracts from the cool stuff you added.

rollout.jpg

Rollout|3|2|1|3|5

Rollout's got style. Not in looks, but it gameplay. The weird but quirky way of how PLR works here makes you remember it and want to play it once more to check out how it could've worked out differently. However, that doesn't immediately give you a great gameplay - it feels scattered sometimes, and unfair to some teams. I believe that this setting can be great fun, but this map is going to need some definite work to make it real.

+: Nice and original way of doing PLR.
-: Needs a lot of work still.

scoville.jpg

Scoville|3|3|1|4|5

Very promising, with a damn good style down and a great finale which makes people remember the map as the one that gave them a slight heart attack. However, it still has the pipeline problem - teams don't meet soon enough, and if they DO, there's sniperline issues. With a finale like that, however, how can you possibly go wrong in the future?

+: Promising on all fronts.
-: Promising also means that right now, it isn't yet.

solitude.jpg

Solitude|5|4|3|4|4

A last-minute surprise here. Probably has the best original solve of the pipeline problems yet, with teams meeting very quickly. Makes for frantic, crazy battles, and a lot of fun happens together in a map that's supposedly so lonely. Problem for me is the somewhat bleary looks of it, which make me feel uneasy. The setting is good, but there's something about the cheese yellow fog that makes it weird. It doesn't detract from the great gameplay and interesting stages though - I can't wait to see the end result!

+: What a surprise! Tons of fun in payload form!
-: Cheese

Last edited:

Jindo

L3: Member
Aug 6, 2009
I've played a few of these maps and so I will make them my priority to rate when I get a chance later, for now the table will remain empty but I will update it as and when.

A/D Entries: | Gameflow | Balance | Detail | Optimizing | Style | Comments ctf_vector |4|4|5|4|5|Interesting and stylish map.
ctf_haarp |4|3|5|5|5|A fantastic, diverse, and well thought out map which I've played and enjoyed countless times.
ctf_bayou|N/A|N/A|N/A|N/A|N/A|Comments
ctf_snowdrift |4|4|3|5|3|An enjoyable and very nicely balanced map.
ctf_slate|N/A|N/A|N/A|N/A|N/A|Comments
ctf_panamint |4|3|4|4|5|Diverse, well balanced, and overall fun map.
ctf_premuda |5|4|5|5|5|An absolutely stunning map with great gameplay.
PLR Entries: | Gameflow | Balance | Detail | Optimizing | Style | Comments plr_scoville |4|5|5|4|5|Improved a lot since I first tested it and I'm very pleased with how this has turned out.
plr_solitude|N/A|N/A|N/A|N/A|N/A|Comments
plr_animus |3|4|5|4|4|In terms of gameplay very similar to other maps, but it definitely looks unique.
plr_nightfall |4|4|3|5|4|Also similar to other PLR maps, with the exception of the last capture point.
plr_rollout|N/A|N/A|N/A|N/A|N/A|Comments
plr_cornfield |4|4|5|4|4|A very fun map with awesome carts.
plr_panic |5|4|5|4|5|The most original PLR map here, hell of a lot of fun.
plr_artic |4|4|3|4|3|A fun map and a nice effort, I look forward to seeing progress.
plr_highwind|N/A|N/A|N/A|N/A|N/A|Comments

(In bold are the maps that I have played, I plan to play all of them)

Last edited:

Languid

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 9, 2009
eerieone's system and nice picks stolen.

haarp.jpg

Haarp|4|3|5|5|5

Haarp, you are a wonderful map. High marks for the stylistic side of things, with nothing I can add for you to improve upon. For gameplay, there are a few balance issues, but on the whole gameplay is solid. No optimisation problems.

Improvement: 2-2. Fix the sentry cubbyholes. Take out at the very least one.

premuda.jpg

Premuda|4|4|5|4|5

I love everything about the style of this map. It looks wonderful and completely distinct. Gameplay was very fun from what I played, with a variety of routes. Balance seems acceptable to me. The last point is quite tight, with everyone attacking by the upper level and the lower being ignored mostly. The optimisation score is for slightly lower fps than usual. Map size is your problem, and if you can get around it, more power to you.

Improvement: Needs more signage for the last round, or layout changes.

slate.jpg

Slate|4|3|3|5|3

Slate solves many of the stalemate problems of Haarp and Vector, at least in the first two rounds. The design has no flashes of inspiration (apart from the canvas), but this seems to me to be a real beta, unlike other betas, which seem finished. I'm sure it will mature with time. Optimisation is fine.

Improvement: Round 3 seems slightly stretched and long, with little in the way of viable side routes. Consider making them more advantageous.

vector.jpg

Vector|4|3|4|5|4

Ahh, Vector. Another refreshingly good map. Style is great, with the end point rivaling Haarp's in brilliance. 2-2 had issues with balance, but this has been fixed mostly over time. Gameplay is fun and well tested. Optimisation is good and fine.

Improvement: Nothing comes to mind at the moment

animus.jpg

Animus|2|3|3|3|4

Stage 1 is far too long, stage 3 is too short, gameplay wanders and lacks luster. I liked the style mostly, but the detail is lacking and design wanders slightly. Map lags for me a bit.

Improvement: Needs major rejigging. Make the first stages smaller, much smaller. Stage 3 would be more interesting with height variation.

highwind.jpg

Highwind|2|3|2|4|4

It has a nice design, the windmills are a very nice touch. The theme also fits TF2, I believe. I look forward to seeing it fully completed. Gameplay is a bit spammy, and lacks any feeling of victory. Make it into a multi stage plr map and I'd be happy.

Improvement: Give it one more alternate route, and you have a good stage

nightfall.jpg

Nightfall|5|4|4|5|4

Nightfall is my favourite map out of all the plr maps. Stage 1 and 2 are faultless, and even with the absence of 3 it is a brilliant piece of gameplay. Appearance is solid at the moment, and is of no concern. Optimisation is fine.

Improvement: Finish route 3, and make it not suck, breaking the curse of plr.

panic.jpg

Panic|3|4|3|3|4

Panic has nice solid gameplay. Stage 1 and 2 are different, but both work in my opinion. Stage 3 does not escape the stage 3 curse, but offers a fresh change. Style is good, and individualistic, while the dynamic entrances are interesting. The map has slight stutters in FPS.

Improvement: Tweak the rollback rates on stage 3 and you have an interesting map.

scoville.jpg

Scoville|4|3|1|3|4

I am impressed by the idea of stage 2, and stage 1 played well. A giant fireball and the start of a solid style earn you marks, but detailing is nonexistent. The map has general FPS problems, but only slight ones.

Improvement:While stage 3 has the eye candy, it suffers from the stage 3 PLR curse. I cannot give advice on how to avoid it, but good luck regardless.

All the other maps I just haven't played enough to review. Sorry, y'all.

Last edited:

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Man, I remember just when this contest was getting started! Hardly able to believe it’s already over, and my voting is late. Getting right down to business, just a few things:

*Maps with developer textures automatically lose 1 point in detail. That means even if those areas without developer textures are incredibly done, stellar looking, the most points you will earn for your detail section is 4.

*I will be evaluating optimization based on my frame rate, and use of optimization tools, such as areaportals, occluders, sufficient use of nodraw, model fade distance, etc. FYI, I am running a geforce 8800. By no means do I have a high-end rig. I am able to play most Valve stock maps at about 60 fps in most areas in a full server. That’s a general rule. If your map has dipped below this rate during the public testing in the last few weeks you will automatically receive 4. Any worse than that will receive lower. However, if you beat the 60 fps mark, you’ll get a straight 5, as you’ve met the requirements.

*Style for me includes the following: thematic choice (swamp, alpine, dust), color, and innovation of stylistic choices. I’ll be most specific to what these innovations are, but the plain fact is that people remember maps with new stuff better than stuff that looks just every other map. Having said that, by no means will you lose points for not having new elements and innovations, just realize how difficult it is for your map to compete with maps that have an incredible range of new custom content (maps using the swamp pack for example).

*Flow will be based on layout and simplicity of layout. This also takes into consideration placement of cps, track layout (for plr entries) and such things as ammo and health pickups.

*Balance is a tricky one. Most of the plr maps are symmetrical, at least in layout. This means it’s extremely difficult to rate this gametype, unless there’s an obvious defect one way or another. For this reason, ctf maps will be based on their obvious structure balance (and how that plays), and plr maps will all receive 4, unless otherwise noted of a defect. Those plr maps that pay special attention to layout and spawn placement (like pipeline does) to ensure that a team cannot steamroll another team once it gets the upper hand on a balanced team, will get a 5. That’s an essential to plr map planning that a good amount of entries paid attention to—and a good amount that didn’t. Those entries should be aptly rewarded.

*I have models in many, many of these entries. I am doing my best to not let these things sway my vote in any particular way. After all, you’re not being scored on a particular model, but the placement of them, the use of them as gameplay devices, etc. But thanks for including my models!!

*Color palettes are based solely on screenshots, and represent the cumulative mood and color choice of a particular map. These are very important to how your map is remembered. The more range of colors, the richer the map. Also, it’s important to balance the amount of cool and warm colors, otherwise a map can become monotonous, bland, and visually non-striking.

*The Gold Star, or the The Pipeline Standard of Convention award is not worth any points. It simply credits the author for using conventions that adequately work in payload race. For a better explanation, read the information on plr_arctic (the first star).

Lastly I want to say thank you to all those who participated in this contest, no matter how small your contribution. It’s the power of what’s free and willing that makes this community so excellent, and this time, tf2maps has outdone itself. 16 incredible entries! Anyway, let’s get to the details.

(PS, you don't have to thank me 3 times just because I had to split this into 3 posts)

ctf_bayou
ctf_bayou|3|3|3|2|4
ctf_bayou.png

It’s nice to see an entry that uses the swamp theme that so many people put hard work into. At the same time, it’s great to see people doing their best, trying their hardest. In Bayou, I feel as though this is the most important map in the learning mapper’s process to acquire skill. We make maps, we make bad maps. It’s the mistakes we make and learn from that make our next attempts so much better. It’s for that reason I feel that bayou is that kind of map—a map to learn from.

Clearly there are things you would do differently next time. While it appears some effort was made to optimize the map, the original design and layout made it difficult to do this properly. Like I said, this is something to learn from—knowing the best way to layout a map so that next time optimization will not trump you.

What especially excites me about this map is the amount of imagination. Firstly, the spawn starts on a ship—that’s nice. And while it continues as a winding and sometimes confusing series of corridors, hallways and the like, there are some unique aspects about it. For instance--the sunken and tilted house. While this might not be the most efficient use of vvis, this is the sort of unique imaginative quality a lot of maps lack. What you lack in technical skill, you certainly make up for in originality. Keep working on the technical skill, don’t let the imagination blow away, and you’re on the fast track to making a killer map.

ctf_haarp
ctf_haarp|4|5|5|5|5
ctf_haarp.png

Visually incredible and painstakingly crafted, this map has what it takes to be a contender. With a unique use of the snow theme, and combined lighting atmosphere, this map not only looks good, but sets standards for other daylight snow themed maps. Where viaduct was dawn/dusk, this map makes full use of the range of colors that comes with the built light environment.

Each stage is memorable, unique and challenging, and I found the balance to be nearly apt (having noted previous changes and fixes). The only issue that really messes with me is the 1 capture of stage 3. I have seen so many people express their frustration from this capture point, both from red’s side and blu’s. The issue lies in that it’s either too difficult to hold or too easy. In this I mean that a demoman jumping to the top to quick-cap is either immediately successful, or not at all. Any red team that’s played this map before knows full well how to exploit this point so that it will never be taken. On the other side of the argument, a good demoman will clear this point in less than 20 seconds after the round starts. Take it how you will, that’s the nature of open capture points on A/D ctf. I personally like the setup on this round, but am turned off by the sheer size of it.

This map is highly entertaining, encourages sound team-play, and is not likely to be forgotten.

ctf_panamint
ctf_panamint |3|4|2|4|4
ctf_panamint.png

This map has the potential, like a few other entries in this contest, to be exceptional. All it takes is the time. Panamint pays full attention to balance regarding the A/D ctf fast capture points, and the layout is non-confusing for the most part. But it does need work. At times there seems to be a lot of areas that were never used—this is due to direct paths that people never have a need for.

The detailing included developer textures, therefore I did deduct 1 point, otherwise this would have scored a 3, for the work that has been done. For this reason it’s difficult to assess optimization because there’s not enough detail there to determine if the optimization is adequate.

The style, while not original, is acceptable and does not warrant the loss or gain of points. Put simply, this map is fun to play, but needs the loving time and attention Hanz can give it.

ctf_premuda
ctf_premuda |5|4|5|5|5
ctf_premuda.png

If this map has any weaknesses at all, it’s balance. Having said that, be aware the weaknesses are slight. This is another map that ranks among the top contenders of this contest. Visually incredible, vastly original, and packing sound gameplay, this is a great map to play anytime.

The few balance issues it does have goes back to the essential issues with the A/D ctf gametype. Open-air capture points make defense a nightmare, while the at the opposite side, gives players the opportunity to overcome stacked teams and unfair advantages by making use of a team’s slight mistake. Premuda includes more open-air capture points than the other top contender A/D ctf maps, but does make up for the climax by slowly reducing the open-air points. While both points in stage 2 can be captured this way, stage 3 makes things much more defensible. Criticizing ANY A/D ctf map for these problems too much, is like criticizing dustbowl for what it does best.

This map is fun to play, memorable, and well optimized, and that’s what counts. People who play Premuda are not likely to forget anytime soon.

ctf_slate
ctf_slate |4|3|5|5|5
ctf_slate.png

The few issues with Slate barely bring it down. For instance, my first, second, third and fourth times playing this map, I found myself at times unsure of which direction to go. Mostly this was on red, but sometimes on blue, and has to do with the direction the spawns are facing. Some signage coming right out of spawn would do it good. Also, not having a very large capture area to block makes it hard to defend. Comparatively, the other ctf maps have larger capture zones, making the capture more rewarding for both teams.

The other issue with Slate is the lack of metal for defensive positions. Playing essential classes, like engineer on defense is a fight with all players to keep the metal. For this reason and the flow issue, Slate is a map I’ve never seen properly held tight by the red team. My firm belief is that if both teams know the map well, and know how to do their jobs, the round can last for a long time, and it’s a powerful struggle when one team finally prevails over the other. Such is not the case with slate.

After now having given some hearty criticism, let me boast this map’s attention to detail and visual stimulation. Slate bolsters and makes good use of the sawmill/alpine rain theme to the extent to where it’s beautiful and inspiring (makes me want to use the theme set!). There isn’t an ugly area in this map.

Not only that, but I can boast a solid 60+ fps in any particular area of this map. To say simply, if the basic balancing issues are taken care of, I’ll no problem telling people to vote for this map during the nextmap vote. It would be that enjoyable.

Last edited:

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
ctf_snowdrift
ctf_snowdrift |4|3|5|5|5
ctf_snowdrift.png

If there’s something that I like to see about gameplay of a map, it’s innovation, and innovation that pays off. Where other authors decided to make multiple stages, snowdrift headed the direction of badwater—1 continuous stage with multiple consecutive capture points. And in this case I think it works.

The problem, however, lies in that concept that the red team ends up scrambling backwards to hold the next point, having barely enough time to setup and find good positions to hold. This results instead in some players scrambling backward two points instead, in order to have enough time for a good hold. If the capture points had slightly more space between them, or if the respawnwavetime of teams were altered slightly, it would give both teams a reason to slow down, regroup and work together as a team.

Visually, however, this map is very impressive. Mostly I find myself in love with the color! Look at the violets! The greys! Such nice combinations. And the detailing work is quite good. It’s an innovative use of the snow set and skybox + env_lighting. Good work there.

ctf_vector
ctf_vector |4|5|5|5|5
ctf_vector.png

It’s good to see that the hydro style hasn’t gone to waste (not a pun of Icarus’s previous works). One of my favorite maps is hydro, but people seem to rage and hate it for some reason. But vector makes sure things are not forgotten. With great, fair gameplay, striking visual properties, this map is not only fun but memorable, making it another of the top contenders of this contest.

To be slightly picky, the few problems (as nothing is ever perfect) vector does have is the gameflow, as it can be awkward at times, especially for players not knowing where to go. Blaming them for that reason is unfair, so to be specific, it deals with stage 3, where red team has barely enough time to get in and get properly setup to the first capture point without the aid of at least a team of 3 engineers working together. Then the next awkward issue deals with the intelligence moving forward to the next area in 3-2, rather than returning to the first pick-up point, as is the standard with the rest of the pick-up points in the other stages of Vector. While I’m sure there’s a perfectly reasonable and logical (and deserving) reason for this, it’s this slight awkwardness that brings vector down. Sure, you’ll get used to it, but…

With a full range of colors and fully-developed detail set, this map is unique and fun. A great map to play and enjoy.

plr_animus
plr_animus |2|4|3|3|3
plr_animus.png

In the top of my ratings post, I described a condition where plr authors had either paid attention to the conventions of plr_pipeline, or those authors hadn’t. And the reason why they should have is because pipeline, while not the best example in the world, works extremely hard to allow players quick and easy access to all parts of the map equally, from the very moment the setup gates open.

Animus suffers from lack of this convention. Mostly it’s the first 2 stages, where an entire team ends up pushing the cart for the first 2 minutes and first half of the map before contact with the other team is made…by that time, both teams are unorganized, scattered, and engaging in 1 on 1 battles on the outskirts. This causes both teams to forget about pushing the cart…and thus making the total play time of all rounds nearly an hour. Too long to play any map, in my opinion.

This is why it’s imperative to realize Valve standard layout principles. They developed the gametype, know what’s best for it, and executed it.

These were issues brought up in the very early days of Animus, and I can’t help but to think they were ignored. This is why Animus earns a 2 for gameflow. However, because it is symmetrical for the most part, it earns credit in balance.
Another large problem is performance. Right out of spawn, I sink to a crushing 25 fps, before climbing back up as I go further away from all the details. Whether or not this map is intentionally areaportaled, I’ll never know—I can’t make heads or tails of it in mat_wireframe 1.

And take a look at the color palette: I could only find 1 general cool color. That’s unacceptable. When your environment lighting is so dark, and so warm, any cool colors immediately become warm, and only look cool in comparison to the rest of the environment. It’s difficult for players to see, visually unappealing, and frustrating.

However, in the attempt to create a new theme set, I have to applaud and give credit. It’s good to see that there are those out there attempting to infuse new content into a set of themes that are rapidly decaying and aging from over-use.

plr_arctic2
plr_arctic |2|4|2|3|4
plr_arctic.png

In contrast to the problems plaguing Animus, Arctic addresses the ‘pipeline’ standard, by allowing access to all parts of the maps simultaneously upon the end of the setup phase. For this I award the pipeline standard gold star (and will be giving it out to other maps that successfully demonstrate this convention—a convention that works!)

pipelinestandard.png

Naturally, I have deducted a point for having developer texures, and a great deal of the passages seem confusing and I believe this is due to detail. We are able to recognize things by the uniqueness of a particular area. If this map is finished, it could be a good product.

There are major issues to fix, however, one of those being the very stage; by rewarding the winners of the previous rounds that much extra track advancement, you cause contact problem, where half of the losing team runs for your cart, and half runs to attack the other team’s cart. Where normally this is a good idea, such as in pipeline stage 3, This is a problem because there’s so much space between the two teams. The distance between, and the sheer vastness of the 3rd stage causes teams to become unorganized and scattered. If the stage was reduced slightly, I think you’d find the round much more satisfying.

plr_cornfield
plr_cornfield |4|4|3|4|4
plr_cornfield.png

Congratulations! You too have earned the Pipeline Standard of Convention!

pipelinestandard.png

The use of symmetrical design can lend itself to easy access to all parts of the maps at once—essential to the success of any plr map.

What I remember from playing cornfield is that I had fun while playing it—rare for me in payload race maps. But the content was nice, although borrowed a little from furnace creek, and what detailing was there was very well executed. You would have earned straight 4s if it wasn’t for those developer textures.

As is the case with ctf_panamint, I believe this is a map that will continue to improve the more time you put into it. To not finish this entry would be a shame, as there’s so much good stuff going for cornfield.

On a side note, although I’m not sure what’s going on with the cart, it’s another aspect to your map that causes people to remember it.

plr_highwind
plr_highwind |3|2|3|4|4
plr_highwind.png

I’m a sucker for innovation, when it’s done right. That’s why I’m halfheartedly giving the ratings that I’m giving. There’s something to be said for this take on the plr gametype…but the problem lies in that it’s poorly executed. The idea of capping as many times as possible in X minutes is very fascinating, seems to have promise, but in highwind isn’t perfect. Alternatively, I think it would be a great idea if each time a team capped the point, that team would then have to push the cart a little bit further than before.

Imagine if during the first capture, the explosion breaks a hole in a wall, allowing the team to move the cart even further than before. That would give the opposing team a better chance to defend and push their own cart to score, while making it progressively more difficult—a balancing act. This would enhance the gameplay and make victory much more satisfactory.

However, as I recall during a few play sessions, the blue capture mechanism is broken? Blu can’t score or something along those lines? In a contest release, that’s really unacceptable.

As for the visuals and layout, I’m really impressed by neither. The layout is rather plain, and doesn’t allow a whole lot of options. Where you do present those options, they’re too close to the other team’s spawn, and causes insecurity issues for both teams. A layout revision should be in order. I’m applauding the theme set innovation, but generally unimpressed by it. I think you could do a lot more in terms of lighting and detail placement.

Last edited:

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
plr_nightfall
plr_nightfall |3|5|4|4|5
plr_nightfall.png

The immediate feeling I get when playing this map is that everything is very solid. The detail, the layout, even the choice of theme and the execution of it. There does lie a few problems however, that warranted the 3 for gameflow. One of the major complaints I heard when people played this map was that the indirect paths allowed access to the enemy spawn, which lead to some problems with spawn camping. And no one likes spawn camping. Unless you’re doing the camping, in which case you’re a dirty, dirty, point whore-ing individual, and you should really re-evaluate your gameplay ethics. -_-

Pipeline sidesteps this issue by changing the way the spawns are accessed, or by added more than 2 exits (in the case that the 2 team’s spawnrooms are very close). It would take very little layout alteration to fix this. The main stage in which this is a large problem is stage 3.

Again, for the use of developer textures, I have to deduct 1 point from detail—otherwise it’s superb work. You’ve never been a stranger to excellent detail work, knowing your past maps, so it’s no surprise.
I really hope you finish this map, it’s a great play, and fun too!

plr_panic
plr_panic |4|5|5|5|5
plr_panic.png

The great thing I have to say about Panic is it leaves no room for boredom. In each stage there’s something unique and exciting to see, or to do. Stage 1, the killer carts. Stage 2, the exploding separator wall(might I add, and incredible gameplay device). Stage 3, the perpetually falling carts, and the doomsday sonic weapon. What’s not to like?
And on top of that:

Congratulations! You too have earned the Pipeline Standard of Convention!

pipelinestandard.png

Considering how players interact with each other at the very start of the round is an essential to the success of the plr gametype. There’s no disappointment, no waiting around, no bizarre 1-1 skirmishes far, far away from the frontline. Panic puts you in place where you need to be: defending the enemy cart, or pushing your own.

The most interesting aspect is that the gameplay is different in each round of Panic. That’s innovation, and yet you managed to fit it into the much needed conventions of plr.

The few complaints I had were that the layout becomes considerably more complicated and unnecessary in each subsequent round. Sticking to what’s simple is best—and that’s why you lost 1 point for gameflow. But that’s just nitpicking.

Panic is very memorable, fun and outright awesome, and it’s makes the list of top contenders for this contest.

plr_rollout
plr_rollout |2|3|2|4|3
plr_rollout.png

From the very start, a large portion of the problematic elements of the map deal that it isn’t symmetrical. When both teams have the same exact objective, the question is raised when the means to that objective aren’t the same. How are sure it’s fair? Does one team have a greater advantage?

But we learn what’s best from experimentation, and this map is absolutely that, a experiment into the ‘what-ifs’ of level design. However, my honest opinion is that you should scrap this entry, and start from the very beginning. There’s a considerable list of improvements you could make, but the best solution is to start over. I hope I haven’t upset you by saying this, but it’s the honest truth, and you could do a lot better by taking what works from this map, and applying it to a new set of rules.

I do have to ask, however, why you stretched a large sky texture over some world geometry to mimic a skybox. Why did you do that? It puzzles me.

plr_scoville
plr_scoville |4|4|4|2|4
plr_scoville.png

This again, is another map that has some great potential, and all it needs is your loving time and attention. To not finish would be a great disservice to your time spent, and to those people who are fans of this map, and potential fans.

You would have managed a straight 4 across your scores, but that well known Scoville low fps rate has really done damage to your map. Take the time to figure out what’s wrong—fix it and detail. To come this far and not finish would make me really sad. And cry. And no, I won’t build your explosion unless you fix the optimization, and detail stage 3. Then I would LOVE to build your explosion. A grand finale to a cool ending anyway.

BTW, for layout and attention to player interaction, you win the:

pipelinestandard.png

plr_solitude
plr_solitude |4|4|5|5|5
plr_solitude.png

This is one of my favorites from the contest, and the reason is because the gameplay is great, and the environment is really well done. All I can remember from this map is that I had a ton of fun, and I’m looking forward to playing it again. You’ve certainly kept the Pipeline conventions in mind, with player spawns and quick direct and alternate routes to all areas of the map. For this reason you win the Pipeline Standard of Convention:

pipelinestandard.png

I have the feeling for some reason that this map is overlooked among the contest entries (I don’t know why I feel that way), and it makes me a little sad, since this map has been a joy to play.

Stage 3 has some awkward layout problems—it might be that I feel so far away from the action stepping out of the spawnroom, and the other problem with stage 3 is that the final capture point is placed in such a position that players coming out of it are forced to stop any enemy players about to capture the control point—which goes against most plr maps. The best thing about plr is being able to stealth cap the cart when the rest of your team is busy holding off the other team. But how can you accomplish this when your spawn is in such a direct path to the enemy?

Regardless, this map is fun, and the lighting style is unique. Close choice on the scoring, but overall a successful entry.

Again, I want to thank the community and all those who entered and contributed in this contest. We’re making tf2 history each time a great map is made! Thanks a lot everyone!

Last edited:

Vekter

L1: Registered
Jun 14, 2009
A/D CTF Maps: | Gameflow | Balance | Detaling | Optimizing | Style | Comments
ctf_vector| 5 | 4 | 5 | 4 | 5 | Vector's just a great map. I really can't complain about anything aside from the optimization (I have seen much worse though). Icarus' style constantly manages to amaze me every time I play one of his maps, and Vector is absolutely no exception. The Super Sapper model replacement is funny and cool at the same time, as is the use of Nucleus' centerpiece for the finale. It's good to see an A/D CTF map that isn't horrible for once.
ctf_harrp| 4 | 3 | 5 | 5 | 5 | HAARP is just alright to me. The optimizing and detail in the map are just perfect, but something about HAARP has always bothered me. I can't really pinpoint it, honestly. Regardless, it's a fun map.
ctf_bayou| 2 | 2 | 2 | 2 | 4 | This map needs some work. And by "some" I mean "a hell of a lot". The map has a weird flow to it and it just doesn't feel right at some parts. 1 and 2 start out fun, but the novelty wears off quickly as the fun devolves into an insane amount of chaos. 3 is just... I don't even know where to start with 3. That building freaks me out, and the rest of the point isn't much better. However, my biggest complaint about Bayou was the optimization. Considering that my computer can normally run maps at a decent clip (around 10-20 FPS, yes I know my computer sucks) I was consistently at around 2-3 FPS in combat.
ctf_premuda| 4 | 4 | 5 | 5 | 3 | Premuda just feels... cool. I love the island feel and the detail around the map. This is another good example of a good Assault CTF map. I just wish we had more maps like this and Vector.
PLR Maps: | Gameflow | Balance | Detaling | Optimization | Style | Comments
plr_solitude | 4 | 5 | 3 | 4 | 3 | Solitude was a mixed affair for me. Though the map was definitely fun and one of the better maps I played, it's optimization is less than perfect. I found myself lagging a bit more than I should have at certain points. However, it wasn't enough to cause me any problems, so that's good. I noticed that this map had a lot of problems with Engineer spots, as 2 Engineers could lock down stage 2 with well-placed sentries. Otherwise, a fun map.
plr_scoville | 3 | 4 | 5 | 2 | 5 | Scoville was pretty fun, and I have nothing to really say about the gameplay. The style in this map was amazing. I love the huge contraption at the end and pretty much everything else in the map looked great. However, with that level of detail comes a lot of video strain. Either this map was poorly optimized or the models were just hard on my processor. A good map nonetheless.
plr_animus | 3 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 5 | Animus is a pretty cool map. I dig the sunset motif, along with the awesome custom carts. There's not much else to say here, though.
plr_panic | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | Oh wow. I distinctly remember playing what eventually became this map AGES AGO, and WOW has it come a long way from being dev textured and incomplete. Panic uses a combination of great balance, fun and functional features (such as the carts rolling downhill at the beginning and the exploding wall on stage 2). Might I also mention that the anti-stalemate feature is awesome. And for those curious, if both carts hit the end of a stage at the same time, the engine spazzes and the carts don't spawn. Definitely the best PLR map I have ever played.
plr_artic | 4 | 5 | 3 | 5 | 4 | Arctic plays better than a lot of maps I've played, in the contest or otherwise. I've never really seen a final stage actually cause a team to concentrate on defense and offense at the same time. It's a shame that this map wasn't fleshed out before the competition, as dev textures = lower points for detail. Regardless, Arctic is a fun map that is designed well and executed even better.

As an aside, to the mapper of PLR_Nightfall, your map needs some definite optimization work. I could not play your map due to the fact that attempts to load it caused me to constantly stutter. :thumbdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.