Mainline

CP Mainline rc5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue552

L3: Member
Sep 16, 2009
Good looking map - I don't know about the theme, it's unique and all just seems too gloomy for TF2.

Also it's conflicting to see Blu buildings in the shapes of shed and stuff as they're usually situated with more industrial architecture - that's just my personal tastes as I believe everything should stay similiar to Valve's art direction.

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
Alright. Final post in this thread. If you completely ignore it, whatever. You miss out on criticism.

Your changes have been purely aesthetic. From your self-proclaimed Beta 1 to self-proclaimed Beta 3, I have seen nothing changed but aesthetics. And don't you dare say I haven't played your map. Because I have. I would not be giving you criticism if I had not played the map.

The map suffers from long corridors and odd attempts at making it seem better than it is. The community you are sending this out to is rather limited, and the only people you are listening to are people that have given an overzealous caps-lock reply on how it should be made official.

The people you are appealing to have little to no knowledge on the creation of maps, and should not have their advice be put before ours, the mappers.

What you should do is focus less on aesthetics and worry, yes, worry about your dwindling gameplay. As your betas go on, you claim you are changing various things that would have changed gameplay chokes and hiccups from previous versions, though, as stated before at the beginning of this critique, you have not actually made these changes.

It's not too late to revert to an Alpha process and rework the things you've said you'd rework! If you keep up the aesthetic changes each time you release, you'll have more and more brushes to change, more and more entities to nudge, all of these things you'll have to change in order to maintain an efficient and effective map.

So please consider this advice and don't turn into another outburst of rage and bore...

Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore..."

S.W.A.T.Y

Banned
Sep 28, 2008
2nd forward spawn is moved back near the mid cap like in fastlane where the mid cap is right outside the spawn. This is just a quick little drawing that i did during school.

15xn2xj.jpg

S.W.A.T.Y

Banned
Sep 28, 2008
I have been getting a lot of feedback from comp tf2 players and its helping me with my map.
These are some of the changes that I have made so far.

I added another route from last to 2nd since that was really necessary.
kb8100.jpg

2dja3vr.jpg

4jxqpy.jpg

Added a bridge here to add some height variation.
ngc5dc.jpg

t6b88l.jpg

I moved back the 2nd forward spawn here
mbivsn.jpg

FreeLance_FoX

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 6, 2008
I'm not gonna lie, you just fixed two of my biggest issues with the map.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Is it me, or are all of the control points locked in those pictures?

Feb 14, 2008
Some of your overlays (case in point, the "Warning Unsafe" overlay in those screenshots above), have not been scaled down and are unrealistically large. You should scale them down by at least a half.

Sgt.Sausage

L420: High Member
Dec 5, 2008
Where exactly is that, glad you added it but i cant tell form the screens.

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009
Try not to make the water too confusing. If you can just hop in and instinctively understand which way to go, it's working.

Sgt.Sausage

Dec 5, 2008
Try not to make the water too confusing. If you can just hop in and instinctively understand which way to go, it's working.

This, also when in the water its so dark and blurry. Think you could lighten and clean it up a little that would be nice.

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009
I wasn't paying attention, but the grates on those green windows look misaligned. Aren't they supposed to be diagonal?

FreeLance_FoX

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 6, 2008
In Swaty's defense, I don't know how you could possibly get lost in map that's made with a bunch of square hallways unless you were like, wearing a blindfold and got spun around or are color blind. :D

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
Played this map earlier, seemed very well suited for competitive play. Nice and simple, with interesting control points. It does feel a bit.. flat and straight, layout wise, though.

S.W.A.T.Y

Banned
Sep 28, 2008
Beta 4 is out with some huge changes!

Download
http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?p=111762#post111762

Change Log from B3 to b4

-Changed the health kit in mid from small to medium.
-Fixed a few props floating.
-Fixed the stairs in the mid.
-Changed the location of the 2nd forward spawn.
-Added another route from last point to 2nd point.
-Improved fps using occluders.
-Added a bridge at the second point to add more height variation.
-Changed the health kit size from medium to small at second point.
-Added more signs on the wall.
-Increased the ceiling.
-Moved back the resupply cabinets.
-Added small hp/ammo at last in the new route.
-Added another route for the underwater route.

Thanks to:

-Kankle
-EaggeR
-Killa
-Clockwork
-swamp pack team at tf2maps.net.

Last edited:

Sgt.Sausage

Dec 5, 2008
Beta 4 is out with some huge changes!

Change Log from B3 to b4

-Fixed the stairs in the mid.

That god, better be perfect now.

EDIT: Just played it, stairs are definitely not fixed. Sorry but they still are really annoying and break midpoint gameplay.

Another annoying clipping spot on mid i found is on the ramp, when you come from under the tunnel on either side of the midpoint (under the point). You can get stuck when making the turn to use the ramp as well, if that makes any sense at all, if not i will take a screen next time.

Also love the new water route, but the small wood plank for the edges of the entrance/exit you can get stuck on. Please clip those off its annoying when coming out of the water.

cpreelfootb40000.jpg

Last edited:

S.W.A.T.Y

Banned
Sep 28, 2008
I don't know what's wrong with the water that doesn't show in some parts. I'll try to look more into it when I get a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.