Magical Disappearing Skybox

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Thief977, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Thief977

Thief977 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    When looked at at certain angles, the skybox does this weird repeat thing. I solved it once a few months back by making the skybox from one hollow entity, to six brushes that had no exit.

I'm using the Artpass map, if that helps, and the Alpine Sky box. This is the only error I can find in the hammer popup:

*** Error: Skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_alpinestorm_01 weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
    Can't load skybox file skybox/sky_alpinestorm_01 to build the default cubemap!
    *** Error: Skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_alpinestorm_01 weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
    Can't load skybox file skybox/sky_alpinestorm_01 to build the default cubemap!
    Finding displacement neighbors...
    Finding lightmap sample positions...

2. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Sound like you left the sky-camera in your primary map.

3. Thief977

Positive Ratings:
    Any trick to finding it? I've been looking for the past 4 hours, but have yet to locate it.

4. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    You can find it in the entity report under the "Map" drop down.

But if you don't know where it is, then there is something else wrong. You should've put it in the map in teh first place.

If you still have that issue, then you have a link in the skybox itself.

5. Thief977

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, did the entity report. There is only one, inside of my skybox. Whaddya mean, "link"? Like, somethings are overlapping, or there's a gap?

6. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    Whoops, I meant "leak"

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Thief977

Positive Ratings:
    Okay, so what would I be looking for, then? The skybox section of the map is completely boxed in. I've tried both one hollowed out cube and six prisms boxing an area in. Neither work.

The Artpass level keeps bothering me, though. The way all of the preset skybox brushes are placed without boxing in the level the same way I see in all of these tutorials just seems wrong for some reason.

8. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Whatever tutorials you are seeing are bad ones. The map itself is supposed to be sealed up "tight" using skybox essentially as walls and ceiling. You are not supposed to encase the map in a literal box of skybox, that is only for the 3D skybox area.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Thief977

Positive Ratings:
    Why can't I click thanks on you two more than once?!