Lolcano

KotH Lolcano (Koth) b3

Zombra

L1: Registered
May 26, 2010
Yes. My server community keeps voting "Extend Map" over and over. Great fun. Thank you Dr. Spud for adding a whole new dimension to our TF2 lives.

Ninjilla

L420: High Member
Sep 13, 2008
I have yet to play this map, but I already know it is the best map ever created, and possibly the best map that will ever exist for any FPS.

Also, Valve, make it official.

Also, put it in Left 4 Dead 2, and Left 4 Dead 1 for good measure!

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
I've heard Spud's been working on a brand new competitive map for all you pros out there.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
cp_final_destination

Zombra

May 26, 2010
Some floodlights near the point would really help in distinguishing team colours.
I just want to reiterate something that was said above by a very wise poster! ;)

Do not change the lighting! It certainly is harder to distinguish teammates from enemies, but to me this adds another subtle layer of strategy and overall interest. I wouldn't want the effect on every map, but it's a fun challenge to have enemies "sneaking" up on me when I can't tell the difference.

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
Things like extra floodlights to help visibility are good ideas. I'm just not planning on making another version of lolcano. I think it's good enough as-is, and most server owners won't care to upload new versions just for a joke map.

Radishes

May 3, 2009
Dr. Spud, this map is fantastic. Just played it then and I actually did LOL when all the LOLs went airborne like dolphins in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy :3 Absolutely brilliant! Just a shame it's a joke map because I can't see valve putting it in release :(

Dravu

Dec 1, 2009
While I know you made this as a joke map, when we did a map test, it was very well recieved. We ended up putting it on our rotation and it's been there for the past few weeks. Most people have commented on it being their favorite custom koth map even. The main two complaints we get are:
1. Sometimes hard to see which team a player is on due to the red glow
2. The sound clips get old after a little while

I know you don't plan on making a new version, but just tossing this to you. Great job on the map!

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
Maybe I'll just make a koth_volcano. I mean, I thought the layout to lolcano was okay. But people are playing it way more than I thought they would, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to make a de-trololo'd version.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
I think the trolo is half the fun, but whatever.

PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
Yeah, we rather dig the trolol.

Although, I've been keeping track of wins via stats, and I think the lighting is definitely skewing things towards Red. (They've won 73% of the time, out of around 60 rounds.)

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
If you did, you'd have to fix the lighting first and foremost — like move the light_environment to be pointing straight down into the volcano or something. It's tolerable now since it's not supposed to be a serious map.

nik

L12: Fabulous Member
Aug 14, 2009
"top-TIER"

not tear, although this bring happy tears to my eyes

Zombra

May 26, 2010
Although, I've been keeping track of wins via stats, and I think the lighting is definitely skewing things towards Red. (They've won 73% of the time, out of around 60 rounds.)
Statistics don't lie, but I can't figure out how that would make sense. RED can tell the two colors apart, but BLU can't? :blink:

Maybe I'll just make a koth_volcano. I mean, I thought the layout to lolcano was okay. But people are playing it way more than I thought they would, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to make a de-trololo'd version.
Personally I would be a little disappointed at this reversal of sentiment:
I don't think so. I'd rather just stick lolcano out there and let it be its own thing.
... but who knows, a srs version might become even more popular.

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
Since the engy update this map seems to crash the servers. I did a few runs on ukcs and each time it crashed (a few minutes in the round). The situation was 32 player instant respawn though so it might be related to that (dynamics limit).

the map needs a check.