Leak Identification tool

Discussion in 'Request Area' started by Kill_the_Bug, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Kill_the_Bug

Kill_the_Bug L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hey all you programing gurus out there - have any of you tried making a leak identification tool?

This run compile find one leak, fix it then repeat constantly is pretty annoying.

Can anyone make a tool or plug in that will identify them all at one time?

ie. alt+p show all problems in map

if you did alt+l it would show any leaks, then if you selected the first item in the list - you would be taken to that point and could then follow the line and plug the leak. Going down the list would take you to the next offending party instead of having to constantly having to constantly compile - it might save a lot of time mapping.

2. Geit

aa Geit 💜 I probably broke it 💜

Positive Ratings:
    If you have a hole in your map: The number of detectable leaks in the map would be equal to the number of entities multiplied by the number of holes. That's not to say what you're proposing is impossible, though, I'm sure someone committed enough could work around all the problems, it just isn't worth it for the ~10 minute workflow boost it'd give.

I'd much rather see a GPGPU RAD/VIS if I'm honest.

3. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    The problem is sorta the other way around. If you have a hole, it doesn't matter how many entities you have because it is still one hole to fix. Multiple leaks in this sense means multiple holes.

I think this is effectively impossible, because the amount of effort required to make it detect something like this would be huge.
    The compile determines what the "inside" of the map is based on where entities are. When finds an entity that is not enclosed it has no way to determine inside vs outside. It would require some kind of fuzzy logic prediction stuff that guesses what could be a hole based on size and surroundings, but given all the other brushes in a map that would be incredibly complex. A doorway could look just as much like a leak hole as a leak. Computers just can't "see" it the way we do.

4. Fish 2.0

Fish 2.0 L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah. The program would find a hole, then have to basically patch the hole by itself in order to find the next one. There is likely a way to do it without 'patching' the hole but it would be very hard to make.

5. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    What you're after is called vbsp.exe, it finds one leak at a time for you to fix and takes just a second to run.

6. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    i simply start all my maps by making a huge box that i fill in afterwards so leaks into void are rarely ever a problem or even a possibility

this of course leaves areaportal leaks, which are countered by clean mapping and knowing your vmf

7. Kill_the_Bug

Kill_the_Bug L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    never mind although I do feel a little burned by this thread

running vbsp identifies one item leaking into the void at one spot.

I was just wondering if there was some way to have you run a program that would identify all the holes instead of just the one. ie light leaked - here but does that same light leak anywhere else.

guess I'll just have to google where I can get vbsp.exe now

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  8. nightwatch

aa nightwatch

Positive Ratings:
    you can get it in the same download as bspsrc

9. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    It's hammers default bsp exe.... Just compile as normal with vvis and vrad turned off and with launch game unchecked.

10. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    I think that was sarcasm

I hope that was sarcasm

11. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    I thought that, then I doubted it, and now I just don't know.

12. nightwatch

aa nightwatch

Positive Ratings:
    obviously sarcasm