Jerrycan 3

PL Jerrycan 3 rc4

youporkchop5

Server Staff
Apr 15, 2018
youporkchop5 submitted a new resource:

Jerrycan 3 - Partake in a classic American passtime: killing people for crude oil. Again!

guess who's back

I made a new version of Jerrycan since I hated the old version and didn't know how to change it. I think its really good!

Special Thanks to:
Zythe for helping with geometry and the first point
Izotope for creating the elevator at B.

Read more about this resource...

youporkchop5

Server Staff
Apr 15, 2018
youporkchop5 updated Jerrycan 3 with a new update entry:

a4

Changelog

• Healthkit adjustments
  • More cover for the flank route leading up to last
  • New flank route for C that goes underneath the point and comes around past the KillCorridor:tm:
  • Changed the previous flank route in B, made it more obvious where it comes from and changed where it comes out as well.
  • Bug fixes, of course.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Katsu! :3

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021
"Partake in a classic American passtime"
Passtime?
Pass... time?
PASS... time?
PASS TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME!!!!!!!!
PASS TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME!!!!!!!!!!

youporkchop5

Server Staff
Apr 15, 2018

a6

Changelog
  • Changed some cover around the C corridor to make sightlines less strong
  • Added a jumppad on last that will let RED rotate to the upper route easier
  • Changed the structure of one of the hallways on last's interior section to make it less of a straight shot.

youporkchop5

Server Staff
Apr 15, 2018

a7

Changelog
  • Big changes to B to make it less corridory (thanks zythe!)
  • Removed the small way up to RED spawn on last that BLU could easily get to
  • Removed a flank on C because I felt like it wasn't really adding anything
  • Shuffled around a few health and ammo kits.

Tiftid

the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
aa
Sep 10, 2016
I like this map, so think of this as not a critique but a routine checkup.
And when I want to do a routine checkup, I analyse a demo or two of the map being played, so here's that for a7a:

a7a demo1 (US) analysis:
1st round:

• A: Captured after a few fights at the forward hold and one last, desperate defense at the backward hold; this last defense was very weak due to low RED population
  • B: Because many RED players failed to make it back to A before it was capped, RED got an initial forward hold over B which was even quite strong; however, after a few fights at this, B was captured in a similar fashion to A
  • C: Had an initial forward hold, which was weak but still fair; after this was lost, C was captured without any RED players even near the backward hold
  • D: Had a strong forward hold and tense backward hold, eventually captured by BLU
2nd round:
  • A: Eventually captured by BLU after several fights at the backward hold; no outstanding complaints
  • B: Defended by RED after a few fights at the forward hold and a tense backward hold; looked really fun!
  • C: Not played
  • D: Not played
3rd round:
  • A: Captured after a few quick fights at the forward and backward hold; seemingly was captured before the backward hold area was even lost by RED
  • B: Captured after a few quick fights at the forward and backward hold; no outstanding complaints
  • C: Defended after sevaral fights at the forward hold; the forward hold is somewhat lacking and I will describe why later
  • D: Not played
So, do I think anything should be done to this map?

I only have small suggestions; I can't name any one glaring issue with this map, but I can name a, like, "stretch goal":
In the first round of this demo, RED failed to get any kind of backward hold on the first three points because they almost all died and didn't come back in time. This notably didn't happen on D, where RED spawns a lot closer to the backward hold.
This is why I prefer to spawn RED so close to the backward hold in my own designs.
However, you may notice this issue didn't happen at all on either of the next two rounds.

This is simply because RED was better in both cases, and more of them were staying alive to stall.
So this is an issue that will ruin some rounds, and it's something you can fix, but it's something that will only ruin, like, 5% or 10% of rounds.
Your map will be better if you can fix it, but only if you can fix it without the solution being something that will ruin a higher percentage of rounds.
I would say around 85-90% of rounds are fun on this map as-is. In other words - you could artpass it, and I don't think anyone would say it's below their standard of quality.

Well, before that, here are a few small things you could do:

On A:​

Move the CP back to here:
1692421420473.png

It often seemed that BLU was capturing A without RED actually needing to have lost the backward hold area. This should fix that.

On B:​

Add a door here that only opens after B is capped.
1692421533073.png

I don't think you need to block off this entire route like one person feedbacked, since it's a nice alternate route for BLU to attack the backward hold. I do think, however, that you should add this door to stop BLU either getting lost and going to C, or deliberately going to RED's spawn and spawncamping.

On C:​

Add a way for BLU to pass this doorway without getting blown up.
1692421642938.png

I'm hesitant to suggest this exact geometry formation since I overuse it so much in my own maps.
But right now, BLU's only alternate route past this doorway is extremely long and takes them back into this same tiny room.
BLU long-range classes really don't have a safe way to reach that desert area, which to me is just so obviously where they're meant to be playing.
I don't think that letting BLU reach that side area wil undermine the forward hold and allow BLU to just skip it, cause the building has a doorway that lets RED watch that route:
1692421789192.png

What I think is possible is that this change will sort of merge the forward hold and backward hold too close together, in which case I think the right solution is to move the CP back a bit, especially since RED already likes to hold a bit further back than the point, behind these "battle lines" where there's cover for them to use:
1692421976721.png

On D:​

The backward hold seems tough for RED. Their rotate time from one side of the main doorway to the other is insanely long, particularly if they're only just exiting their spawn.
However, there have been successful PL last points in the past where RED is assumed to have already lost the point if they're exiting spawn and don't have players already down in the thick of the arena.
So I think all I'd like to see for now is a little wood walkway to speed up RED's rotates around the pit:
1692422187252.png

It would also be nice to put a small health and ammo on it to slightly beef up RED engis in general, and reduce retreat time for RED players who are holding more to the right of the arena (where the access to health is a lot less safe).

That's all. Bye!

Last edited:

youporkchop5

Server Staff
Apr 15, 2018

a8

Changelog
  • Changed the side flank on B to have a closed door before B is capped, that way BLU players cannot circumvent the entire defense before B is capped. I would've just deleted the doorway, but Tiftid's feedback gave me pause
  • Added a board over the pit on last to allow for players to rotate more easily across.
  • Moved the spawn just before B backwards and opened up the room to allow it to be used as a proper route, and added more solid cover. Hopefully this will make it...

youporkchop5

Server Staff
Apr 15, 2018

a9

Changelog

• changes to A's shortcut route around RED, might be a bit too strong so I changed that area a little and removed the route, if A becomes too hard I'll add it back
  • Widened the corridor leading up to last so that BLU has an easier time
  • A bunch of miscellaneous changes I don't remember (oops!)

youporkchop5

Server Staff
Apr 15, 2018

a11

Changelog: this update took a while and I've forgotten a lot of the changes. so there might be stuff missed

• little cubby on A for a better sentry spot.
  • increased respawn times for Red by a teeny little bit, hopefully will help Blue.
  • changed last to try to make more defendable.

youporkchop5

Server Staff
Apr 15, 2018

a12

significant changes to last corridor

• added an overlooking window to to the high ground just before last, to give blue more options to contest red's hold rather than just meat grindering in
  • changed the simple ramp to a jump, to slow down red's rotates and let blue take and control more space, hopefully
  • increased red respawn time on last
  • changed signage.