Is there a way to check what textures a model uses

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Werewolf, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Werewolf

aa Werewolf Probably not a real Werewolf

Positive Ratings:
    Like most others here I have a lot of custom props downloaded from this site and others like it.

When it comes to packing my maps I use BspZip, so I manually write out a text file with for the list of assets to pack. Most of the time its easy enough because the file names for the textures match or are similar to the file names of the models. However there are times when I can't find the textures because they don't match the name of the model so I don't know which to pack in.

My question therefore is, is there a way to see which textures are used by a specific prop and where to find them? This would also apply for models with multiple skins where you only wish to use one skin and not the rest.

2. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
    Copy the filepath+name of that model and paste it into the "open model (steam)" thing of hlmv.exe. Remove the "/models/" bit at the start, otherwise it will refuse to work. Now hit enter to open the model.
    From here, go to the materials tab. On the right side it will tell you which .VMTs are being used.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. wareya

wareya L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    compilepal has this feature where the automatic paking will only pak skins that are used in the bsp. It's a good tool https://github.com/ruarai/CompilePal/releases/tag/v022

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    In my experience HLMV hasn't been able to open stock models for a while now, possibly since the SteamPipe update.

6. Werewolf

aa Werewolf Probably not a real Werewolf

Positive Ratings:
    Um.... we're not after stock props, its for custom props.

7. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Oh. Then Tumbo's advice was wrong too; you want to look under "Load Model". "(Steam) Load Model" is supposed to be for peeking into the VPK files.

8. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    Tried that once. Didn't work out. Perhaps the documentation wasn't clear enough. Perhaps I just wasn't good enough.

9. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
    You people are fucking this up really bad.
    "Load Model" is for loading a model that is anywhere on your computer.
    The "(Steam)" variant is for loading a model that is somewhere within the game's file structure. I can load up a prop that I have saved in tf/models with this, no problem. (I literally just tested it to make sure.)