Is it reasonable: static prop model as map visual mesh +nodraw brushes as collision?

BANG!

L1: Registered
Feb 8, 2011
Oh nice then!! I am going for it compiling the level visual model as static props and building the collision with brushes.

Also I will save some time creating a Softimage script which automaticly writes the .qc and .vmf for each exported (smd) model =)
And the batch to compile them.

I'll see how it goes anyways, I am starting right now =)

Thanks

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Another way to avoid VMT redudancy (depending on your needs) is to use the Patch shader. It can help avoid copy-pasting a lot of shared settings between VMTs.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
I see it as a tribute,

technically it IS illegal. You are giving content from a game you own to people who don't own it. People always try to get around this by saying 'tribute' or whatever, that doesn't circumnavigate legal issues.

Realistically. Will Sega sue you, or tell you to remove it. Probably not, they probably have better things to do with their time/money than go after some fan porting stuff to another engine.
And that's if they ever found out about it. Which they probably won't.

If Valve did it and they found out they probably would sue, because Valve would be making money and has money worth going after.

BANG!

Feb 8, 2011
I though Valve had enough money already selling TF2 items and such, now I am starting to freak out about releasing this to the public in case that could happen :mellow:

The game is from 2002, sort of starting to age right?

Well I am just pretty amazed of the amount of ripped characters from many other games available at garrysmod website, Valve didn't do anything about it, nor the game's owners.

I don't know has there been someone getting sued or got in trouble for ripped models, or maps?

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I don't know has there been someone getting sued or got in trouble for ripped models, or maps?

There was some "fan remake" that got shut down not too long ago; I forget what it was, though. They didn't get sued or anything, just told to stop and not make the (un)finished product available. And also that was a whole-game remake.

BANG!

Feb 8, 2011
Oh well, then I might not make it, maybe I'll contact Sega and Valve, though meh don't want to make a big deal out of this hobby.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
There was some "fan remake" that got shut down not too long ago; I forget what it was, though. They didn't get sued or anything, just told to stop and not make the (un)finished product available. And also that was a whole-game remake.

I think that was a system shock remake. At least there was one that got shut down. Eidos now owns the rights to that game and I think they are stricter than most companies.

Like you said, that was an entire remake in a new engine.

Not trying to scare you off, most likely they'd order a cease and desist first. If you continued distributing it THEN they'd look into legal action. But it is only a TF2 map... Not a remake, or anything.

BANG!

Feb 8, 2011
Well once its released public in the internet no way to stop it, I'll probably release it with due credits of course.

As for how its going, well I am trying to compile the map with vrad and vis on fast mode and vrad crashes at some point, it still manages to compile it but i guess not properly.

I rebuilt the skybox to make sure its properly sealed.

hammer_jsrf.jpg

The brushes at the bottom of the map seem to cast shadows (yeah i should reduce the uv tilling there)

tf2_jsrf_lightprob.jpg

But the map models as dynamic props with no collision still look just like "fullbright" not shadows or anything indicating the ffect of the env_sun and the light_environment (placed inside the skybox right above the map)

Here's the log

** Executing...
** Command: "d:\steamx\steamapps\kimik3d\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vbsp.exe"
** Parameters: -game "d:\steamx\steamapps\kimik3d\team fortress 2\tf" "D :\JSRF\Hammer\jsrf_garage8.vmf"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Jul 7 2010)
4 threads
materialPath: d:\steamx\steamapps\kimik3d\team fortress 2\tf\materials
Loading D :\JSRF\Hammer\jsrf_garage8.vmf
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (1)
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
Processing areas...done (0)
Building Faces...done (0)
FixTjuncs...
PruneNodes...
WriteBSP...
done (0)
writing D :\JSRF\Hammer\jsrf_garage8.prt...Building visibility clusters...
done (0)
Creating default LDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
skybox/sky_day01_01*.vmt
! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
Creating default HDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
skybox/sky_day01_01*.vmt
! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
Finding displacement neighbors...
Finding lightmap sample positions...
Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Building Physics collision data...
done (0) (97581 bytes)
Placing detail props : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Compacting texture/material tables...
Reduced 507 texinfos to 7
Reduced 3 texdatas to 3 (62 bytes to 62)
Writing D :\JSRF\Hammer\jsrf_garage8.bsp
3 seconds elapsed

** Executing...
** Command: "d:\steamx\steamapps\kimik3d\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vvis.exe"
** Parameters: -game "d:\steamx\steamapps\kimik3d\team fortress 2\tf" -fast "D :\JSRF\Hammer\jsrf_garage8"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Jul 7 2010)
fastvis = true
4 threads
reading d:\jsrf\hammer\jsrf_garage8.bsp
reading d:\jsrf\hammer\jsrf_garage8.prt
2618 portalclusters
7364 numportals
BasePortalVis: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (3)
Optimized: 155695 visible clusters (0.00%)
Total clusters visible: 5740917
Average clusters visible: 2192
Building PAS...
Average clusters audible: 2617
visdatasize:1706143 compressed from 1717408
writing d:\jsrf\hammer\jsrf_garage8.bsp
4 seconds elapsed

** Executing...
** Command: "d:\steamx\steamapps\kimik3d\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vrad.exe"
** Parameters: -game "d:\steamx\steamapps\kimik3d\team fortress 2\tf" -noextra "D :\JSRF\Hammer\jsrf_garage8"

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Jul 7 2010)

Valve Radiosity Simulator
4 threads
[Reading texlights from 'lights.rad']
[34 texlights parsed from 'lights.rad']

Loading d:\jsrf\hammer\jsrf_garage8.bsp
Setting up ray-trace acceleration structure... Done (0.75 seconds)
15259 faces
25982567 square feet [3741489664.00 square inches]
0 Displacements
0 Square Feet [0.00 Square Inches]
15259 patches before subdivision
1012197 patches after subdivision
sun extent from map=0.000000
2 direct lights
BuildFacelights: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (102)
BuildVisLeafs: 0
** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "D :\JSRF\Hammer\jsrf_garage8.bsp" "d:\steamx\steamapps\kimik3d\team fortress 2\tf\maps\jsrf_garage8.bsp"

** Executing...
** Command: d:\steamx\steam.exe
** Parameters: -applaunch 440 -game "d:\steamx\steamapps\kimik3d\team fortress 2\tf" -windowed +map "jsrf_garage8"

Last edited:

BANG!

Feb 8, 2011
Yes only one, though I got rid of the lights and vrad still crashes, I then got rid of everything except the skybox and the ground/walls brushes still crashed vrad, might be the size of the map?