is it possible to change team size in hammer

jpg02

L1: Registered
Jul 5, 2016
makeng a saxtonhale type gamemode can someone help me make some sort of team limiter

Mar 23, 2013
the saxton hale gamemode is being handled by a server plugin. You need a plugin to limit team sizes unless you are already making a vsh map

jpg02

L1: Registered
Jul 5, 2016
I know there handed by a plugin but I'm trying to make a map like it and a team limited would be good thing to know how to use and what's a vsh map?

Fragancia

L2: Junior Member
Feb 22, 2013
I know there handed by a plugin but I'm trying to make a map like it and a team limited would be good thing to know how to use and what's a vsh map?

VSH = Vs Saxton Hale
it's the prefix that maps made for the VSH gamemode use.

You are out of luck on making what you wish to achieve simply using the limited tools given to mappers without a sourcemod plugin to get around most of the shortcomings.

It's definitely possible in vanilla without plugins. You may need to look up cheats that allow for team imbalances and enable them using a pointservercommand entity.

They can't really use point_servercommand because it's blocked off by the cvar sv_allow_point_servercommand which is set to official by default.

This is done to stop maps from using the entity in malicious ways.
It sucks Valve went down this route and making this entity useless.

Werewolf

Probably not a real Werewolf
aa
Apr 12, 2011
It's definitely possible in vanilla without plugins. You may need to look up cheats that allow for team imbalances and enable them using a pointservercommand entity.
Which commands would do this exactly, because I looked in the VDC for TF2 console commands and cvars, and I can't see which commands would do this.
  • I see mp_teams_unbalance_limit cvar, but that only kicks in when autobalancing is enabled.
  • There's the tf_arena_override_team_size cvar, but that only changes the team size in arena and it's for both teams.
  • and there's the 9 tf_tournament_classlimit_<class> cvars that limit how many of each class can be on a team in Tourament mode
In any case, surely any appropriate cvars could be issued via a <mapname>.cfg file distributed with the map. That way server operators would be able to see which cvars or commands are being fired and their values, and disable or adjust them as they see fit.

Diva Dan

hello!
aa
Mar 20, 2016
I have the original VMF for Egans map which has the working logic for it (it may be outdated, who knows). I'll check inside of that and get back to you, because I'm also researching it

EmNudge

L4: Comfortable Member
Sep 23, 2015
It shouldn't be too hard if you have a point_clientcommand and a small little renaming system.

If you want it to be, say, one guy a team:
Have multiple spawn points in a room, have triggers around each one which get enabled a second after spawn time and have a filter that block ppl renamed to Hale. Have a trigger on one of the points to rename the player to Hale which starts enabled.
The triggers around the rest of players with the filter can have an output to change the players' team to spectate using the point_clientcommand.

You can make more triggers to rename the player to Hale to extend the player team count

EDIT: I made a quick test map for the concept. Not certain if it works as I didn't test it yet. The map has 32 slots in case all 32 ppl on a 32 person server join one team it will place them in different locations (I think that's how it works, I may be wrong and it's just random). The first guy to spawn will get renamed to hale and won't be forced to join spectate.

There would be ways to increase the player count such as having a math_counter and count up to a certain number of players being renamed and then disable the renaming system and enable the trigger to make the player join spectate.

Attachments

• limit_teams.vmf
    22.5 KB · Views: 105
Last edited: