Invisible walls

Oct 6, 2008
Hello,

Ok, everything works great my end no issues. map is properly packed as far as I can tell. i.e. changed folder names intentionally, run the map and all is good. Including running map in wireframe mode.

However, when map is put onto a server and then, downloaded to play, I have players telling me that they are running into 'invisible' walls.

Any idea what the cause is and why it's happening? It might be rock models - but people can't tell me cause they can't see them lol.

Edit: - it might be the forest rocks - some people have also said some are missing textures but they are a stock model and can't see it in the dir folder using gfscape

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2008
perhaps this will also help - where do I find the textures for models being used in the map? I'm using rocks from the forest folder but when I look for materials using gfscape I don't see a folder containing the textures for forest models. thanks

Pinsplash

bad bad bad
May 8, 2016
to find that out you have to decompile the model with Crowbar and look for $cdmaterials in the qc

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
If it is a missing model then the engine substitutes in a big glowing ERROR model. People do no miss that model.

FloofCollie

I really suck!
aa
Nov 5, 2016
If it is a missing model then the engine substitutes in a big glowing ERROR model. People do no miss that model.
I swear I remember the Suijin bridges sometimes being invisible when it first came out so I don't think this is necessarily always the case

DrSquishy

we've all had better times to die
aa
Feb 10, 2017
sounds like a precaching conflict. the forest rocks exist already ingame, but a rock pack on tf2m has a similarly named download for the rocks which share filenames with the ingame rocks. When you pack the custom ones ingame and a player has played on a map with the ingame rocks on earlier (which caches them for later maps), it'll show the custom rocks as invisible and the console will be spammed with a checksum error due to the models sharing the same filename but being different enough to warrent a different checksum on the models

Oct 6, 2008
thanks a lot guys. I tried repacking everything except the kitchen sink and am still waiting to hear back if people are having issue with it.