Imbricatus

CP Imbricatus a5

JeanPaul

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah I realized that after all the compiling and prep work and I just said "fuck it" because its the first alpha and I didnt want to redo all that work again haha.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
You do know that all you have to do is open the map in pakrat, save the stuff you forgot, and add a 'b' on the end of the filename right?

Takes all of a minute.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
You do know that all you have to do is open the map in pakrat, save the stuff you forgot, and add a 'b' on the end of the filename right?

Takes all of a minute.

it's generally risky to do that, because sometimes it screws up the other custom assets and other things someone once told me about

JeanPaul

Aug 5, 2010
Its not a worry.

I just tested the map with bots and I predict having to mess with the spawn times, they are a bit funky right now. We will see though! Im excited for this test considering how much work I have put into this map so far.

JeanPaul

Aug 5, 2010
Thanks for the test guys I got some good feedback for A2! Once I get the major changes this map needs, it should be real awesome.

zz5eT.jpg

If you have any more comments on what should be fixed, leave them here.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
First off, your control points themselves are pretty interesting looking, and look like they could play decent if the rest of the map was good, but it's not. Every area of the map is excessively complex, with major height differences, and paths nearly everywhere you look.

Starting with your path between A and B.

cp_imbricatus_a10000%20copy.JPG

cp_imbricatus_a10004%20copy.JPG

These pictures really highlights the major problem with the map's transitions between points, it's not that it's over scaled, when we all said too big that's not what we meant, we meant that every area, including ones like these which should just be simple paths going somewhere, are needlessly complex monstrosities that themselves could fit a 12v12 tf2 match and still have room to spare.

cp_imbricatus_a10002%20copy.JPG

cp_imbricatus_a10003%20copy.JPG

Again, paths and height variations everywhere, and no way to know what is going on because it is mentally impossible for anyone other than a savant playing with 180 fov to process what is going on here.

Also at A and C the defenders can easily get unobstructed view of EVERYTHING that is headed their way, while standing in pretty much invulnerable areas.

Like there's not much else to really say about it, these are your problems, and short of totally rebuilding 95% of the map you're not going to get this to work very well. Stop and study stock maps and look at how simple most of the areas are, and try to emulate that at first, and then when you've got a handle on how to make something that works, see how you can push things to make them more interesting without totally breaking the game.

JeanPaul

Aug 5, 2010
Uh wow, thanks a lot for this! You made me laugh when you said id have to rebuild 95% of the map haha. Ill fix all these issues for A2 :)

Also, the point of the map is to have height variation. But I will definitely remove some in areas.

Last edited:

GPuzzle

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 27, 2012
On the last picture,I would lower route 3 to the level of route 5, lower route 4 to the level of route 5, connect route 3 to route 5 with a bridge, and get route 7 to the level of route 6.

Last edited:

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Uh wow, thanks a lot for this! You made me laugh when you said id have to rebuild 95% of the map haha. Ill fix all these issues for A2 :)

Also, the point of the map is to have height variation. But I will definitely remove some in areas.

It wasn't meant to be a joke, you will have to rebuild the vast majority of the map in order to make something that will play really well.

Also height variation is great, every map should have that to some degree, but this is just ridiculously excessive.

JeanPaul

Aug 5, 2010
I know it wasnt a joke, thats why it made me laugh. Everything you pointed out (and they were good points) will be easy fixes.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
By comparison here's a shot of Barnblitz, which is easily the Valve map with the most height variation (and as you implied during the Crusoe test, your favorite payload map).

1cwYQ

What I noticed is there are 5 distinct levels of play in this area, and this is the only area in the map with more than 2 or 3. Additionally, this building changes from RED to BLU ownership pretty easily because of how simple it is to climb up it. Each of the areas range from about 96-192u (just eyeballing, didn't measure) above the last one, which is a far cry from much of Imbricatus. Beyond that, the height advantage is pretty negligible for either team because of the relative safety of both nearby buildings (CP2's warehouse and CP4's finale room), effectively eliminating any long lines of sight that could otherwise be problematic.

So this is one section of the map that really doesn't provide any noticeably overpowered advantage, though it is necessary for BLU to hold. To contrast, as Sel pointed out, much of your map is 4-7 layers of height or more, and also wide and open, meaning that not only is the height hard to keep track of but it provides a huge advantage over any attackers because few lines of sight are cut in a way that matters. And as if that didn't make it hard enough, the map continually spirals upward, even if just slightly, so defenders always have a slight advantage. (At C, this isn't as bad, as attackers can get up to the upper levels a bit, but it's a bit mazelike at the moment.) Basically, whenever BLU finally does hold an area, they've got another cliff to climb; never can they fire back on RED at equal terms.

Food for thought?

At any rate, this is far better than Proletariat. I look forward to seeing how your TF2 design evolves over time.

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
For the record that's the one part of Barnblitz I don't like because the height differences are too big. When there's some Soldier or Sniper in a high window you need to look soo high up and it feels awful. Most of the detail buildings' roofs only go as far up as the gameplay area there which is a pretty good sign you're letting players go up too high. Plus the giant steep stairs it causes everywhere I'm not a fan of.

Hell the entire place you labeled as 5 I'd probably just close off because it's so gimmicky and not needed