I want to hire an experienced mapmaker

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by WasabiHUN, Feb 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WasabiHUN

WasabiHUN L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hey there. Don't know if there is some better place to post it so I'll do it here.

I'm looking for a mapmaker, who knows what he is doing. I need him to work on an existing, old map. Fix some bugs, add some new elements etc, we'll talk about it privately. I'm expecting quality work and of course I'm ready to pay you for it.

If you know some good mapmaker guy, or you happen to be one, write a comment and introduce yourself - or you can just link your Steam profile and we can talk there.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Does it have to be a "he"? :rolleyes:

3. WasabiHUN

Positive Ratings:
    I just assumed the mapmaker's gender

4. Werewolf

aa Werewolf Probably not a real Werewolf

Positive Ratings:
    Have you tried finding the original creator of that map to ask them to change it, or got permission from them to make changes to the map?

5. WasabiHUN

Positive Ratings:
    It's a 8 years old map that I found on gamebanana, so no. I just want to modify it so I can run it on my server (I'm already running the 8 years old version)

6. Werewolf

Positive Ratings:
    If it was on GameBanana, it has an uploader. Talk to them.

7. WasabiHUN

Positive Ratings:
    He probably isn't going to update a 8 years old map because I ask him nicely. This is why I want to do it myself. I mean, by hiring someone to do it for me

8. Jusa

aa Jusa

Positive Ratings:
    But you still require a permission from the original author...

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. WasabiHUN

Positive Ratings:
    He is offline 6 months ago on gamebanana and he didn't set any other contact link on his profile

EDIT: I'm pretty sure he wouldn't mind me using a modified version of his map on my server. It's not like I'm saying it's mine or I'm selling it

10. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    I'm pretty sure it's a no, by default, though.

11. WasabiHUN

Positive Ratings:
    I don't think so. I'll credit his map.

So at the end of the day I still can't contact him in any way to make changes to his 8 years old map, so let's move on, I'm still looking for someone to work together with.

• Respectfully Disagree Respectfully Disagree x 5
  12. Jusa

aa Jusa

Positive Ratings:
    If we can't contact Leonardo da Vinci to because we want to edit Mona Lisa because hes dead we can't just assume he wouldnt mind if we drew a smiley on it. It is still someones creative work and it is still the call of the original author if you are or are not allowed to edit his work.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. WasabiHUN

Positive Ratings:
    I can't even take you seriously right now.

14. Three Million

Three Million L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Tf 2maps is the best place ever

• Respectfully Disagree Respectfully Disagree x 3
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  15. Werewolf

Positive Ratings:
    As you can see, most of us here respect the fact that any peice of work is owned by those who made it. They are the ones who took the time and effort to make that work the way it is. For someone else to edit that work, even with honest intentions, is just wrong.

Yes there are a minority of situations where someone new may need to fix a genuine bug with a map. In this situation it you do the bare minimum to fix the issue. Everything else remains untouched, even if there are gameplay issues you might not like.

Even if the original creator hasn't signed into GameBanana in 6 months you can still PM them, they should still get an email.

Out of curiosity, exactly what map is it you're talking about anyway? It's possible someone here knows that person or they might be a member here themselves.

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. Layl

Layl L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Let me clarify a bit, when Jusa says "It is still someones creative work and it is still the call of the original author if you are or are not allowed to edit his work.", that means you're legally not allowed to do this. It is a copyrighted work that you have no permission to edit and redistribute the edited version.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Three Million

Three Million L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Here is a link to the map, ctf_outset created by dewdle and uploaded by doodle550

18. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Illegal is kind of a strong word, but generally it's a big no-no to doing it. (Note, neither of us are lawyers)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Spacek531

Spacek531 L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    There is a thread on this forum of a 2fort edit someome published and was stolen and modified. That's the pther half of the story, and why people are so adamant that you contact the original author.

20. WasabiHUN

Positive Ratings:
    EDIT: :)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.