How to post obscenely large amounts of photos to a thread without killing bandwidth!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by StickZer0, May 28, 2010.

1. StickZer0

aa StickZer0 💙💙💃💙💙

Positive Ratings:
    Something I've seen a lot lately (and been guilty of myself) is people posting large amounts of high resolution photos into threads for the purpose of feedback. While this is all fine and dandy, not everyone has great internet connections, and may not want to see other people's photos on a map thread when they're just there to post a little bit of feed back.

So if you're considering posting 5 or more large images (i'm talking larger than 800x600), or in my case, 67, use a magic little box called the PHP tag box. It will turn a picture like this:
    [​IMG] (335 KB)

into this:

PHP:
    [IMG]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1471205/mapsfeedback/pl_bunkerdash_a40013.jpg[/IMG]
    (<1KB)

If somebody wants to see said photos (ie the map author), all they need to do, is press the quote button on the bottom of the post, remove the PHP and quote tags, and then click preview post. It will mean that only people who choose to look at the pictures will have to download them, saving people a lot of time if they don't want to download lots of big pictures.

Just think of the PHP tags as elaborate spoiler tags.

I got the inspiration for this idea when posting 67 images to Hellfire's thread.

Just make sure to add markers every 50 images, as that is the limit you can put in a post, even in preview.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    Last edited: May 28, 2010
  2. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    ...or you could just use links? Not that hard to open something in a tab as you go through the post? :/

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. gamemaster1996

gamemaster1996 L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    I do find that very annoying so people please try and make sure you don't post large images in that way because your just using up peoples download limit.

EDIT: And loading time.

4. StickZer0

aa StickZer0 💙💙💃💙💙

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah but Booj, I personally can't stand opening loads of links, especially if I have to tab back and forth between the image and the first page to read what the picture should be showing.
    This way everything is in one place. Of course, if you want to post links, that's just as good as this, but the main point is that huge strips of photos really do kill loading times D:

5. HeaH

HeaH L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    It doesn't seem to work for me. I'm using Chrome

6. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:
    Personally I'm like ABS here. I just middle mouse click over the link (firefox) and it opens it in different tabs.

for me, using the .php on a different PC other then home (like now) without the plugin to auto link http's i would have to copy/paste every single one which is a pain.

People have download limits? Do you mean Bandwidth? If so i believe its normal cap for even bad ISP's is well over 10g which most people here keep each picture at or below 450kb. So even the SUPER HIGH side you are looking at lowest 2000 pictures fine.

7. StickZer0

aa StickZer0 💙💙💃💙💙

Positive Ratings:
    What? Copy and paste each link?

That's not what i'm saying, i'm suggesting post what you normally would, and then wrap it in php tags to stop it posting all of the pictures. Like I said, I can't stand having loads of different tabs open for each photo, so this is just the same as what would normally be posted, except you just have to quote/removetags/preview to see it first.

And HeaH, i'm using google chrome, I can quote people and preview posts without any trouble?

8. Jimmy

Jimmy L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Im just gonna stick to being obscene, since I dislike working.

9. eyefork

eyefork L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    You could always use an image host that auto-generates thumbnails

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Numerous

Numerous L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    It's because your profile pic is a black guy.

/blatantRACISM

(disclaimer: joke, DONT BANNINATE ME)

11. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    See, that's what I usually do too, with ImageShack (except when I can just shrink or crop the image and still convey what I want to), except I edit the link to use the "Direct Link" URL it gives me, so people don't have to look at ads.