How do i make shadows strobe?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Bonafide, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Bonafide

Bonafide L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I had this idea to run a brush past a bunch of sky light windows on a track to make the shadows that are cast strobe just for fun but I cant get it to work. I have the brush running on the track and past the windows but it doesnt block the shadows, making them strobe.

Any ideas? This is just for fun really. If anyone can figure out an alternative way to do it also, that would be cool.

(The hammer picture has several brushes deleted to show what I was attempting).

2. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    You can't do it. End of story. You can't dynamicly edit the lightmap which means you can't have them strobing.

You can however put a light behind them instead of using the 'appearence' keyvalue to make it flicker instead of the skybox brush.

3. roninmodern

roninmodern L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hammer/Source's lighting seems to be lacking.

4. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    SLIGHTLY :cursing:

5. Bonafide

Bonafide L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I had a feeling what I wanted to do was impossible in source since I have never seen it.

6. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Props can cast dynamic shadows... couldn't you just parent a shadow casting prop to the block moving along? (I don't remember which props do this)

7. Laz

Laz L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    dynamic lights in a multiplayer map :s I never liked that. even on cs source, on of the official maps had a few dynamic lights near the ct spawn, and it lagged my pc already big time.
    there is probably a hack or trick you can use, moving texture?